Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw food makes me spacey
Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: July 27, 2007 01:14PM

does everyone come up against this? Is it a fruit sugar thing? I ate a little cooked just to ground myself today, although then I feel yucky from the cooked. hemp protein powder helps a little, but not enough...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw food makes me spacey
Posted by: perbetty ()
Date: July 27, 2007 02:07PM

I can't answer this specific to raw, but I can say that when parents take their casein and/or gluten-addicted autsitic children off foods that have them (principally dairy and wheat), during withdrawl they can be really spacey for a couple of weeks. (One child walking on monkey bars just walked right off the edge.)

It's easy to get addicted to these substances. Especially casein, because it acts like an opiate (examples of opiates are morphine and heroine). So maybe, when you eat cooked food, you could stay away from anything with casein and gluten to see if your spaciness continues. (Be careful when trying to avoid casein though. It's used in a lot of processed foods that you wouldn't suspect.) Or see how you feel after a couple of weeks without cooked food (if you haven't already done this).

Betty

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: July 28, 2007 01:38AM

RM, Spaciness is a part of detox. I got that way. I got concerned when I got to the point where I couldn't remember anything or concentrate. It was a totally "blonde" period of time. (I say that b/c when my hair first changed color, it started first going blonde!) It was then when I put back in some vegetarian cooked. I continued cleansing, I can now eat just fruit and not be spacey. Although, unless they're my favorite exotic fruits, I do prefer more variety.

Also, you might want to check out your nutrient levels at [wwww.fitday.com] or similar site. In the beginning, I had to supplement b/c I was not absorbing enough of the nutrients in the raw foods and I was detoxing too fast.

Good luck!
Therese

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 28, 2007 05:22AM

I had some spaciness at the beginning of my raw journey, but it went away over time. I think it has to do with the combination of eating high fat and high sugar. Cutting out the fat will help, if you are ready to do that.

Date: July 28, 2007 01:22PM

well i've been raw or high raw for years now...maybe it's that last bit of detox...

Posted by: perbetty ()
Date: July 28, 2007 02:43PM

Rosemary,

Yeah, maybe...

I had a friend who complained of spaciness and low motivation, and is doctor's response was to tell him to eat chocolate and coke because his body was too alkaline. Were you eating acidic foods (like sunflower seeds) when you were raw?

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 28, 2007 02:49PM

chocolate and coke?

wow .. that is what i call a truly enlightened doctor

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 28, 2007 04:41PM

i am new to raw and i am spacey myself and very tired. i was doing coffee in the morning, but quit that cold turkey. so, in my case, i know it is detoxing that is doing it. still, it is quite an odd way to feel....

goodluck!

Water, Protein, Flax, Sun, Exercise & Gotu Kola - Recipe for Sharpness of Spirit
Posted by: jivana_vegan ()
Date: July 29, 2007 04:04PM

1. Drink plenty of fluids. If possible, drink young coconuts (old will also do.)

2. My friend once told me to eat protein in the morning as a breakfast such as a handful of almonds or truly raw cashews; however, I have found fruit to be more easily digestible and refreshing to my need for liquids. Once my digestion has come about, like the rise of the noon time sun, then I gladly consume fats and proteins in the form of avocado, nuts and their butters, coconuts, durians and the like. One suggestion for you, would be to make a nutritious smoothie with hemp protein (other nut butters will do) and fruit, such as banana and other ripe, voluptuous fruits--please see #3 for a critical ingredient.

3. Behold, a solution: Golden Flax Seed Oil--this will give you the clarity of mind and focus, which you so much desire. The reason for this is the presence of Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids. The brain needs these to function correctly—a lack in either of them can produce a feeling typically described as SPACEY.

4. Aside from getting more fresh air and exercise, one might try the use of mind-focusing herbs. One common herbal remedy for lack of mental focus and/or clarity is Gotu Kola (Brahmi of Ayurveda). You can make a tea, buy a tincture or buy veggie caps, but making sun tea would likely yield the most ‘living’ brew.

5. Remember to eat enough Chlorophyll - Greens, Dark and Beautiful. Kale and so on...and Juice them.

6. Hatha Yoga and Hiking could also help.

7. Meditation

Let us know how it goes and what works.

Peace,
Melissa & Khy’em

Come and Taste the Life-Force Energy
at Jivana Vegan’s New Online Store:
[jivanavegan.com]

Date: July 30, 2007 03:39PM

i'm on a little prescription meds, so may never be able to detox fully, plus taking supplements.

I'm also thinking that maybe I'm too alkaline.

I have a tablespoon of flax seeds a day, so am getting flax oil, maybe I have to take more than 1 spoon.

Yes, I drink gotu kola tea daily, as I am very into herbalism. I make a big jug of tea from about 7 diff herbs.

Date: July 30, 2007 03:44PM

the feeling unmotivated part is a problem for me too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables