Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

is wheatgrass mold healthy or no?
Posted by: superjuicer ()
Date: July 27, 2007 03:32PM

Hi Ann wigmore says to just cut above the mold, and juice the wheatgrass and it is fine. But evergreenjuices.com says it is not fine indoor wheatgrass has less nutrients, this is very confusing. Is wheatgrass grown indoors with the mold healthy or is the outdoor wheatgrass superior?

Re: is wheatgrass mold healthy or no?
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: July 27, 2007 10:24PM

There's a thread on this somewhere, maybe on the juice forum page. It's really informative and opened my eyes to the problems I had with wheatgrass. It cites a company which grows and freeze-dries wheatgrass in the healthiest way known.

While Ann Wigmore will always be a heroine to me, some of her advice is bad. She was learning as she went.The mold is really bad for most of us, if not all of us.

Posted by: teloking57 ()
Date: July 27, 2007 11:42PM

Wheatgrass is Wheatgrass is Wheatgrass smiling smiley

I Love my wheatgrass juice!!!!!
I do believe the outdoor grown might have more nutrients in it simply for the fact that the ground it is grown is has more nutrients especially with all those critters moving through the earth. smiling smiley

Of course evergreenjuices will emphasize that because they want you to buy their outdoor grown grass.
Don't take that the wrong way. I do buy their frozen wheatgrass and use it everyday along with my own and tablets. ( I like a variety )

I tried growing it outdoors, first in containers, they all withered up and turned yellow from the intensity of the sun.

Then because of the insistence of singinraw ( he has quite the green thumb and I believe all his fingers and toes are also green! smiling smiley ) I tried growing it in a patch in my garden. That was a huge mistake. I ended up digging it out and turning the ground. Why? Well, mainly they say you should only get one clipping out of a patch of wheatgrass. Hey!!! I wonder if that applies to stuff growing in the ground? I mean really, duh! I don't think evergreen digs up their grass and plants all new seeds!!!! ahhahahhahah stuff really goes over my head alot!!!

Okay, enough about my intelligence.
The stuff outside seemed to begin to take over the garden and truth be told,
I do enjoy other nurishment from time to time.

Sooooooooo. I just continue to grow it in those black long containers in the house. I will juice them and freeze the leftovers in covered icecube trays.
In the morning I will combine one of mine with one of the evergreen. Why?
Well........ first off, mine is much more potent tasting.
(So really, which is better? the more potent tasting or the outdoor?)
I used to grow like 10 trays a week, however, that just got to be too much as far as time and space would allow. So I settle for half and half now.
Also, I use the tablets throughout the day when I don't have access to the juice.

I don't care which is better, as far as taste or price or nutrients.
All I know is that wheatgrass juice is one of the greatest gifts nature has given us and I intend to devour my share!!!!!!!!

bon appetite smiling smiley

Oh yes, I just cut above the mold and for the record, I am allergic to penicillian which you know is made from mold. My throat closes and so on. But the mold does not bother me. Of course I don't think I would eat or drink it.
I also found (another tidbit from sing) that circulated air aids in less of a mold problem.

Wheatgrass, it does a body good!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2007 11:44PM by teloking57.

Posted by: Melanie ()
Date: July 28, 2007 03:02AM

Wheatgrass juice grown outdoors can have mold, too. I know from experience. Personally, I would just cut above the mold and rinse the wg before juicing.

Date: July 28, 2007 03:48AM

The company who grows it outdoors and freezedries it, grows it in the ground over about 3 months time, and claims that these conditions don't engender mold.

They used to grow it in trays commercially, but gave up when they found out the mold was so unhealthy, and only started again when they found the best way to do it.

Date: July 28, 2007 09:14PM

Here's the website I got from another poster here:

[www.evergreenjuices.com]

It's worth reading.

Posted by: dream earth ()
Date: July 29, 2007 03:25AM

. . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2007 03:26AM by dream earth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables