Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

water fasting
Posted by: lotusblossom9 ()
Date: July 30, 2007 12:24AM

hi everyone

i picked up the book, "Fasting and Eating for Health" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman today. i was surprised to read that he does not consider a juice fast to be a fast and that a true fast is one where you only drink distilled water.

what are people's experiences with water fasts? the thought of it intrigues me but scares me as well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: water fasting
Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: July 30, 2007 12:40AM

I water fasted for 7 days once for spiritual purposes. I was so weak I wasn't able to do much. I wasn't working at the time so I just vegged out on the couch. I lost about 10 lbs and when the fast was over, I gained more weight than I had lost. At the time I wasn't eating raw or even close to eating right, which I'm sure contributed to the weight gain. The last fast I did was the Master CLeanse. Although some don't like it because of the maple syrup, I never got weak or tired and was able to maintain my workout schedule throughout the fast. It was an interesting comparison. I only lost 2 lbs., kept it off and continued losing afterwards when I switched to the raw food diet.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: July 30, 2007 02:08AM

lb, Dr. Fuhrman is right. A fast is not nutrition at all. It's a misnomer to call drinking juice for days on end a "juice fast". It really is a cleanse rather than a fast.

I went a 10-day water fast of only distilled water in June. The cleaner one is, the less one feels weak. I do agree that there were days that I just wanted to sleep all day. I've done the Master Cleanse prior to raw. Since raw, I've done many cleanses and only two 10-day water fasts. I've been modified raw for almost 3 years. I will likely do another 10-day water fast in a couple of months. It did help with the Candida along with the 9 days of straight Cantaloupe. The Cantaloupe was tougher than the 10-day water fast believe it or not.

I do like Dr. Fuhrman's "Eat to Live". I read it after going raw as research as to why I had to eat veggies. I was a meat-eater, SAD. The book tells it all. Of course, raw veggies/fruits are the best way but for those that want evidence, the figures are all there.

Good luck!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 31, 2007 05:04AM

islandgirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I water fasted for 7 days once for spiritual
> purposes. I was so weak I wasn't able to do much.

you are not supposed to do much .. nothing at all if possible .. just rest

The last fast I did was the
> Master CLeanse. Although some don't like it
> because of the maple syrup, I never got weak or
> tired and was able to maintain my workout schedule
> throughout the fast.

you sustained your self on a sugar high for that period of time ..thats pretty much all the syrup does is provide you with cheap fast energy ..even on the MC you should rest

smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables