Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New to diet
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 01, 2007 03:51PM

Hi, I'm new to the idea of raw-veganism and I'm sure you all get these questions alot but I'm not sure where to find all the answers I'm looking for.

I'm concerned about the protein/iron aspect. I'm borderline anemic and have been anemic in the past. I tried to go vegetarian a cpl of years ago and was very low on energy - feeling drained (like a vampire sucked me dry) which is a symptom of my anemia. I've always eaten healthy and organic/hormone-free. My homeopath said it was the lack of meat. I'm also not a fan of nuts. How can I handle this issue with the raw-veganism?

I've heard the detox period is quite normal...when does it usually start (how long after eating raw) and how long could I expect it to last?

Does anyone eat mostly raw but not 100%? I'm considering adding fish to my diet and am wondering if this will adversely affect the raw benefits.

Are there any rules to the raw diet, like eating certain things in combination, not eating other things (a raw friend of mine said no green peppers)?

I read about grain you can eat...how do you do that without cooking?

Any other info you cna give me would be appreciated. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to diet
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: August 01, 2007 04:02PM

OrganicSister Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi, I'm new to the idea of raw-veganism and I'm
> sure you all get these questions alot but I'm not
> sure where to find all the answers I'm looking
> for.

why not try fruits and veggies first and see how that works?
works for me.
give it a suitable period of time and then adjust as necessary.

and be careful, non vegan talk is not tolerated here.

i wouldn't recommend grain as this will worsen any anemia

your homeopath is misinformed.
homeopathy science is not valid.
the only reason it sometimes "works" is because doing nothing works (allows the body to heal itself).

right, green peppers are not ripe.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: August 01, 2007 04:06PM

You can start reading these few articles to get some general info and have fun -
Also remember, everyone has an opinion, there is no "right" way to go raw.
So, you need to consider what works best for you also.

[www.rawfoodexplained.com]
[www.rawfoodtalk.com]
[www.vegansociety.com]
[www.rawschool.com]

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 01, 2007 07:10PM

OrganicSister,

Anemia can be healed on a low fat raw vegan diet. If you eat enough raw fruits and vegetables to meet your caloric needs, you will also be meeting your protein needs, as well as your fatty acid needs.

As for detox, this is different for everyone. The cleaner your new diet is, the quicker the detox comes (and leaves). Eating a diet like 80-10-10 is a very clean diet.

If you start eating very high raw, at some point your body will migrate away from foods that are unhealthy to those that are. Eating fish is not necessary to be healthy, and in fact, there are a tons of parasites and toxins found in fish that are better avoided. However, if you like fish and can't give it up, continue eating it until it no longer serves you.

There are food combining rules that are worth understanding and practicing. Look up "food combining" in your favorite search engine to understand these rules. They are also explained in Raw Food Explained.

In general, grains are best avoided on the raw diet. Eat fresh sweet fruit to get your carbohydrate and energy needs met.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables