Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is Coconut Kefir Water Vegan?
Posted by: nik ()
Date: August 03, 2007 10:52PM

I know that Kefir grains are usually not vegan and require to be grown in dairy mediums before they are sold to be used to make kefir.

I've been seeing a lot of "coconut water kefir" though that uses coconut water instead of milk with the kefir grains, which sounds very interesting to me. I used to love kefir as a kid and have been vegan for like 12 years now. How I can I tell if the coconut kefir water I am seeing in the stores used converted milk kefir grains or if they are truly vegan? How many of you have tried it or make it yourself?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2007 10:52PM by nik.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Coconut Kefir Water Vegan?
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 04, 2007 02:05AM

nik, I've heard good things about Body Ecology's Coconut Kefir and their starter. I would've done that for Candida but in OH where I moved to, the cost of a Young Coconut is $3/each. Back in Phoenix where they were 99cent/each would've been much more affordable.

I would say that they are vegan. Kefir is a natural probiotic is fantastic for the digestive system. Kefir is suppose to have the highest amount of probiotics in any cultured food. Other live cultured food is fermented veggies like Sauerkraut or Kimchee. I made some raw vegan Kimchee and I could tell that it was working on the Candida.

On another forum, one of the people highly praise the Body Ecology Coconut Kefir. You can buy the granules and make your own. That would be the freshest and cheapest provided that Young Coconut is affordable in your area.

Otherwise, Sauerkraut or Kimchee do have the live probiotic cultures in them and you can better control the production process by making them with locally grown veggies.

Good luck. Therese

Re: Is Coconut Kefir Water Vegan?
Posted by: nik ()
Date: August 05, 2007 01:33AM

Thanks. This is the one I am seeing in the stores and am curious about though. [mytonix.com]

Where do the kefir granules come from? What is the source? How does it all start and how are they born? I've heard that they have to grow in dairy and then they get reused and sold and passed along and everything. That they need the lactose to grow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables