Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

maca
Posted by: Meleakua ()
Date: August 08, 2007 09:28AM

I have just started integrating maca into my life. The first time I had it in a green smoothie I thought I was going to die~ the suggested serving size was 1 Tablespoon~ I had 1 teaspoon and was in bed with nausea and hot/cold flashes for the rest of the afternoon and evening!! Any thoughts, &/or has anyone else experienced anything like this? I think it's getting betterish, but I'm only using a little over a pinch of maca in my food now!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: maca
Posted by: applebaby ()
Date: August 08, 2007 03:03PM

that's strange! i've never had a problem when taking it even at very first. i use probably 2 teaspoons a day. are you sure it was the maca?

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: August 08, 2007 03:15PM

If you took it with existing health problems, it might affect organs, etc, which weren't fully functional: this is a problem for me (kidneys and heart) and I have to be careful not to stress my system or I 'crash' for 3-7 days.

Are you sensitive to other foods, etc, because that could be a clue.....like radishes....

I want to try it and am sensitive to pretty much everything.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 08, 2007 10:17PM

the first time I tried macca I took 2 heaped tsps in my smoothie and I felt slightly stoned/paranoid and drugged so Im too scared to take it again!!!

I guess everyone reacts diffirent to certain things! I do think that though with these 'superfoods' you shpuld just begin with a very small amount building up. Just to be on the safe side! )

Date: August 09, 2007 02:30AM

I'm purdy sure it was the maca, applebaby~ I've experienced similar symptoms with maca several times!

I'm not sensitive to radishes, aquadecoco, and really not sensitive to anything else that I've discovered except maybe certain molds...

I know it's going to be a good thing, though, eventually~ I was definitely drawn to the maca!!

& thanks, lady muck... I'm definitely going to be taking things slowly with this one!!

@>-,-`--

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 09, 2007 04:29AM

Meleakua Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm purdy sure it was the maca, applebaby~ I've
> experienced similar symptoms with maca several
> times!
where do you get your maca?
patty

Date: August 14, 2007 06:32AM

My maca is Sunfood Nutrition maca (the kind you can get at rawfood.com) that I purchased in Denver at a small raw restaurant called Raw Utopia.

Posted by: Asnerek ()
Date: August 15, 2007 12:05AM

Maca has been known to make me feel a little stoney...lol...but not paranoid or anything.
Raw chocolate, however, has given me a scary high!

Lovers don't finally meet somewhere...they are in each other all along
Rumi

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 15, 2007 01:21AM

Asnerek Wrote:
> Maca has been known to make me feel a little
> stoney...lol...but not paranoid or anything.
> Raw chocolate, however, has given me a scary high!

haven`t had that experience yet..with either. i got my cacao,hemp seeds and goji berries yesterday!! can`t eat the cacao alone..too bitter, any ideas besides smoothies?
patty

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: August 15, 2007 08:06AM

Asnerek Wrote:
> Maca has been known to make me feel a little
> stoney...lol...but not paranoid or anything.
> Raw chocolate, however, has given me a scary high!

Is it unhealthy to mix maca and raw chocolate? i.e. one is bringing you up, the other is bringing you down... I often make 'malted chocolate milkshakes' out of nutmilk, maca, raw cacao, agave.

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: August 15, 2007 10:53AM

I have been using maca for about 5 days now. I haven't really noticed anything bad. I had some before I went to gym and didn't seem to get as fatigued as usual.

The first time I took it I slept for about 10 hours but I had also only been getting about 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night the whole week so I don't know if the maca actually had anything to do that.

As far as mixing it with other stuff, I have no idea I have just been mixing it with a little water and drinking it.

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables