Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Current Page: 7 of 13
Re: Another 7 Weeks Raw
Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: August 20, 2007 06:45PM

Deal khale smiling smiley

Today has punnet raspberries -100 cal

Pak Choi two big stalks- 200g - 26cal (13cal per 100g)

Now going to have some Banana mlyk - 1 medium nana 100cal - blended with water and ice

smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lovebird ()
Date: August 20, 2007 07:12PM

rawdancer - I am thrilled to see you eating!!!!
pakd4fun - do you make your own cereal or do you buy it. It sounds scrumptious.

--lovebird

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: August 20, 2007 07:33PM

Rawdanceruk-fantastic. You are doing great!!!

Lovebird-We make buckwheat crispies by sprouting buckwheat and then dehydrating it. With all the other fruits and Almond milk (IMO the best milk in the world) we make the best cereal!!!

Date: August 20, 2007 07:36PM

Oh wow banana mylk made with the frozen ones is amazing, so smooth- completly different texture to fresh ones..makes a big difference smiling smiley

so pleased found something I like and can drink up..thats calorific!

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 20, 2007 07:52PM

This will probably be my last week posting here as school is starting and I can't allow myself the time here. I just love reading everyone's posts but it ends up consuming a lot of my time. I try to skip over some, but I guess I'm curious by nature and just have to read every one! I'll have to play it by ear, but if this year is anything like last year, I barely have time to bathe...

Today I'm back to a 100% raw mentality and already feel like I'm back in control. Last week I went with a "high raw" mentality thinking I would give myself a creak and not be so hard on myself...(if you want something, just eat it) but that just didn't work for me in the long run. It was like giving myself permission to cheat. I wasn't really even driven by cravings and ended up just making bad choices. Granted having a slice of pizza is nothing compared to how I used to eat, but I didn't like the way it made me feel psychologically...out of control.

Here's what I ate yesterday:

3 oranges
1 banana, 1/2 c kale, 1/2 c spinach smoothie
2 small cheese & onion quesadillas
romaine salad w/ 1 avocado
sunflower seeds. pumpkin seeds, coconut, raisin, carob trail mix about 1 c total

So far today I've only had fruit and I feel quite satisfied and content knowing that is all I will have today.

Posted by: venusian ()
Date: August 20, 2007 11:21PM

b-fast: lemon water, half an apple
snack:coffee-black
lunch: green smoothie: red leaf lettuce, VMG, daikon, ginger, lime, 2 bananas, coconut oil, celtic salt
dinner: salad with two small avos, tomato, cabbage, lemon, salt
snack: 5 or so dates, cacao

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 21, 2007 01:21AM

i`m with islandgirl unfortunately sad smiley work started back up for me too so i don`t know if i can check in and post daily but i`ll do my best.
today didn`t go as well as i had planned/hoped it would. i was sick with the flu yesterday (sunday) and i didn`t have the energy to prep my lunch for today and i ended up eating out.
breakfast=green lemonade consisting of kale,rpmaine,apple,ginger and lemon
mid snack=grapes,strawberries,melon
lunch is where i blew it with a 3 cheese tomato sandwich on ciabatta bread
dinner unknown so far
patty

Posted by: caseyberaw ()
Date: August 21, 2007 03:08AM

Hi everyone!

Khale-Thank you for the warm welcome. You are in my thoughts as I hope you continue healing...

Rawdancer- You are to be admired! Congratulations on your decision to love yourself and find health. You deserve it!

Yesterday was my day to spend with friends and go out for food and drinks. I managed to eat really well considering we ate out for both lunch and dinner. I did however drink too much last night, but as my insightful Aunt Pakd4fun reminded me I need not beat myself up over that. And today it made me very happy about the choice that I have made to eat raw and have a healthier lifestyle. My hangover today solidified the fact for me that I really do want to move away from those old unhealthy habits.

I have been really hungry the last 2 days as I am about to start my period!

Yesterday:
Breakfast- nectarine, 3 Brazil nuts, few sips of OJ
Lunch (at restaurant)- grilled,chopped veggie salad with mixed greens, onion, mushrooms,zucchini, eggplant and vinagerette and (gulp!) 2 mojitos!
Dinner- ceasar salad-no crutons and vegetarian ceasar dressing
late night snack- raw energy bar

Today; Had lunch with a girlfriend who spent the night so again, another cooked meal

Breakfast-"cereal" of soaked oat groats, pineapple, raisins, 1/2 banana with OJ and almond milk-yum! about 1 1/2 cups total
Lunch: Thai food! glass noodles with tofu, onion, egg and bok choy
Dinner: salad of romaine, sprouts, cucumber, cherry tomato, lemon juice and balsalmic vinegar

I feel like I am eating way too much. Even now my tummy feels so full yet for some reason I am still thinking about a delicious frozen banana/raw cocoa smoothie!!??? Does this seem like alot? I am certainly not hung up on calorie counting or obsessing about how much I eat, however I would like to drop a few pounds and I see that many of you eat very light each day. A year ago when I had been raw for over a month, I too saw myself eating alot less and feeling really satisfied so I'm sure I'm just adjusting...

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 21, 2007 06:37AM

My dear Rawdancer,

I just read something today that shook me some, and I thought it might be helpful to share it with you just in case you hadn't already heard it yourself.

According to Wikipedia, anorexia has been linked to zinc deficiency since 1979. 5 studies have confirmed findings that zinc deficiency leads to loss of appetite.

Everything I've researched has shown me that it's extremely difficult to get enough zinc on a raw vegan diet without nuts and seeds.

It does appear that what you've been eating is still extremely low in zinc. Of course you may not want to eat nuts or seeds quite yet, but it might be a very good idea to consider taking a zinc supplement, if you're not already taking one.

Please don't feel you have to tell me if you're taking one or not, but I just felt I'd be irresponsible not to mention this to you. Zinc deficiency can lead to all kinds of other health issues besides loss of appetite.

I sincerely hope I haven't put any kind of damper on your very wonderful progress. I think you're doing fantastic! Lots of hugs for you!

Ashcat, an icecream bean fruit is inside a bean about a foot long with a thick yellow-green pod. You break open the pod, and each of the seeds inside is surrounded by a white fruity mass that is kind of like a semi-wet cotton candy and very sweet. It's pretty good!

Those dolmas certainly sound good! I'd like to make something like that. I think maybe I just get used to eating a certain way, and I forget that I can make something different that might taste really good. smiling smiley

Islandgirl and Dewey, Please check in with us whenever possible. Your input here on the forum is so appreciated. Best wishes for your success and happiness with school and job!

Today I had

AM: bananas, oranges, 1/3 cup soaked jungle peanuts (measured unsoaked), several slices of mango

PM: 2 cucumbers with lemon juice, 3 or 4 peaches, a white sapote, 2 Brazil nuts, 1/2 cup soaked sesame seeds (measured unsoaked)

Exercise: 1 hour yoga, just getting ready to go do weights/aerobics

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2007 06:47AM by suncloud.

Posted by: Ashcat ()
Date: August 21, 2007 07:03AM

Suncloud -- where does one find one of these fantastical fruits? I've never seen 'em!

And I have to admit, I *gulp* bought the dolmas at Whole Foods. I'm actually not a huge fan of pre-packaged "gourmet" raw, generally speaking, but these things aren't as pricey as most, and I really love them. Not too heavy, very flavorful. I think it's the sprouted rice that does it for me.

I do make the guac/mango/pepper ones myself though ; ) NOTHING beats homemade guac.

Onwards to Monday, the 20th:

AM: Smoothie: 1 apple, 1/2 pear, 2 cups kale, 1 tbsp cashew butter, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tsp vitagreen, cinnamon, nutmeg, water, ice

LUNCH: broccoli sprouts, 1 small container raspberries, the leftover sprouted rice dolma from yesterday.

DINNER: Went out with friends. Had a salad w/ baby spinach, fennel, cherry tomatoes, olives, currants, walnuts & vinaigrette (on the side, not raw, but I had a bit).

Also, 1 strawberry basil martini (I specifically said I didn't want it if it had syrup in it, but it tasted kinda sweet. oh well). And one glass white wine.

SNACK: Was still hungry (maybe it was from watching others eat fondue cheese and fondue smores...), so made green lemonade: juice of 1 apple, 6 leaves kale, 2 stalks celery, 2 inches of ginger, juice of two lemons. SO GOOD. Spicy!

Best to everyone,
AshCat

Posted by: khale ()
Date: August 21, 2007 01:21PM

Good morning everyone!

Islandgirl and dewey: I will miss your daily posts. Please check in as often as you can and keep on pushing toward your goals. We'll be here if you need us.

Yesterday I had cantaloupe mylk and then chunks of the flesh throughout the morning. After work I went to Jasons' Deli and had the salad bar. This held me for a long time and I actually didn't eat again until much later than usual when I had a bowl of sliced oranges, half of a large avocado, and a banana all mixed together. I sense that my body would be happier right now on more liquid than solid food as I am still not feeling 100%. When I shop this afternoon I will focus on vegetables suitable for juicing and tender greens that will blend well in my so-so blender.

Pakd4fun: you might want to be careful waving green juices in front of me. You may find me living in a tent in your back yard.

Did any of u listen to Fruitarian Ones podcast last night? He was very inspiring to me; something at my core responded in a way difficult to articulate. There is in me a deep longing to break free of conventional mind-sets and to really begin taking some risks in my own personal life. I get really disenchanted with all that I see (a general malaise that I've suffered in one way or the other most of my life) and there has always been this sense that there is way more to life than the average life demonstrates. Occasionally, this sense gets stirred up more than usual in me and without intending it I become a bit of a problem to those around me. I'm trying to stay low-profile as this has nothing to do with anyone else - it's, at least on the surface and initially, a personal thing. Frankly I don't think that anything any of us does or thinks or says is merely personal, but that's another subject for another day.

You guys that are drinking alcohol and/or eating cooked food would do well to make sure that you stay nice and hydrated by eating lots of juicy fruits and drinking plenty of water. All of that stuff is really dehydrating and acidifying. You want to prevent your body having to draw on mineral stores to keep you more alkaline. Now. That's all the preaching I'll do.

talk soon,

khale

Date: August 21, 2007 02:33PM

island girl and dewey- I hope you guys check in and stay on track with your goals.

>>>>Pakd4fun: you might want to be careful waving green juices in front of me. You may find me living in a tent in your back yard.

Oh please, I would love that smiling smiley. There is plenty of room in my backyard and my home for you smiling smiley.

Islandgirl- I am so glad you are progressing so well. Go! Go! Go!

Interesting info on zinc deficiency suncloud. I hope it helps.

Caseyberaw- although I answered this in private I wanted to say for anyone else who might wonder. I ate a LOT when first going raw. I had been hugry for so long. I felt like before raw I negotiated most of my meals. I was trying to lose a little fat but it seems I could barely keep from gaining. Sometimes I ate till I was stuffed but usually I always wanted more even though my stomach was full. I was starving for nutrition, I believe. I never want to be like that again. In the beginning of transition I ate constantly and I ate lots of fats (nuts, avo, oil). I lost weight in record time and lost more than I ever imagined. I don't have the need to eat a lot any more on most days. Some days I am hungry all day and guess what I do? I eat all day with out a worry in the world smiling smiley.

Yesterday I ate:

-tea*
-spinach and banana smoothie (I had three or four spread out over the day)
-Khale's recipe for raw tabouli ( sunflower seeds, pine nuts, cukes, tomatoes, lemon, olive oil, green onion, parsley, cumin and tumeric. this was fantastic, I should have made more)
-tea*
-pineapple (perfect and juicy)

Date: August 21, 2007 03:29PM

Yesterday was a good day. I was in control of my eating and didn't get hungry. I was able to stay 100% raw. Here is what I ate:

3 oranges, juiced, before my 4 mile walk.
2 apples
green smoothie (kale, spinach, banana, &+ GREENS***
1 brazil nut
1 banana
1 zucchini w/ raw marinara
blueberry & banana smoothie

Date: August 21, 2007 07:49PM

I will see about getting some supplements perhaps, I was using sprayvits but stopped a while ago. A year or so ago. Thank you for the suggestion

Today had

1 punnet Blueberries

3 clementines

1 pak choi

1 small hass avacado

I never ate seeds or nuts as a vegetarian..so never was really even a thought to me..or an option.. never eaten em! lol.. I will get some zinc

Thanks..thats all for now

Raw_dancer

Date: August 21, 2007 08:45PM

Rawdancer, that is HUGE progress. Really, really, really fantastic!!

In terms of nuts, have you ever considered nut butter? You can find some great raw cashew/almond/madacamia butters at health food stores, and eat it w/ banana or celery. Or, if you're not particularly fond of it, just put a tbsp or so in a smoothie. It's a great way to up your nutrition, and you won't even know it's in there.

Khale, you're so right about hydration. I've been making an effort to drink at least 2-3 liters of water per day, which helps. I've noticed that when I'm raw & do drink alcohol, I rarely feel like crap the next day. I think all the hydration that comes with being raw (the water content of my diet as well as the actual water drinking) really helps. Thanks for the "lecture" ; ) advice always welcome.

Posted by: pattycake ()
Date: August 21, 2007 09:19PM

I have been 75% raw for about a month. Some days are 100%. I too have difficulty dividing my meals into breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I think this is a great motivator. Tomorrow, I will try 100%, and will post my meals.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 21, 2007 09:20PM

ok i gotta ask rawdancer .. what is a Punnet?? smiling smiley

and way to go hun really proud of yours (and everyones accomplishments) smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: brokenbrooke ()
Date: August 21, 2007 11:14PM

if not for my neighbor i would have nothing raw right now.. out of a job and nursing a man back to health my funds are quite limited. though i have squeezed in some delicious broccoli and asparagus.
she(my neighbor) brought over a five quart bowl of delicious fruit salad..no added sugar or anything, just fruit. it has been quite delicious. i have been eating a half a bagel in the morning with fruit plus lots of water.
i also love banana shakes. banana, a bit of water, and some type of berry. simple, filling,and delicious.
like many others i like my drink, that is my biggest nemisis in this journey because often times ot leads me to eat junk food that i normally wouldn't consider.
anysuggestions on balancing the good with the bad?

Posted by: applebaby ()
Date: August 22, 2007 04:51AM

today was my mom&dads 25th anniversary dinner, with our big ukrainian family, all SAD eaters! i brought some of my own food.

not my best day for being 100% raw since i was at other peoples houses all day.

today:
some grapes, breakfast smoothie at boyfriends house (banana, strawberries, pineapple, ice, bit of choc soy milk)
vegetable soup for lunch (1 carrot, 1 cuke, half an onion, water, quarter red bell pepper, 2 stalks celery, fresh herbs, garlic, lemon juice, salt)
in the evening i ate 2 kiwis, 3 bananas, a peach, and a plate of salad with some hemp seeds.

OH YA and i ate the skin off of a cabbage roll at my parents anniversary dinner. i tried a little bit of the rice but it all tasted like flavorless mush and i didn't want to finish it so i didn't. it reminded me a little of what it felt like before i was raw to eat a meal. the food is so heavy and flavorless and mushy !

Date: August 22, 2007 05:36AM

Tuesday (the 21st)!

AM: Smoothie: 1/2 apple, 1/2 pear, kale, 1 tbsp cashew butter, handful blackberries, 1/2 tbsp vitagreen, 1/2 tbsp honey, water, ice.

LUNCH: kale salad (about 1 1/2 c kale, with 2 baby peppers, 1 tbsp flax oil, lemon juice, sea salt, tabasco, 1 tbsp guac)

DINNER: wild salmon ceviche w/ grapfruit, watermelon, lime, shallot & cilantro. raw corn, arugala & red onion salad. raw apple tart. 1 glass sake.

SNACK: green lemonade: apple, spinach, ginger, celery, lemon.

Best to all!
AshCat

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 22, 2007 06:52AM

Hi All!

Rawdancer, it seems you're getting better every day!

Ashcat, I love your name. How did you come up with it? Do you have a grey cat? I've never seen ice cream beans at any store. Mine come from my 2 trees. I got the seeds from my neighbor. They're tropical. I don't know if they're hardy enough to grow in cooler weather.

Today I ate

AM: 1/3 cup soaked peanuts (measured unsoaked), 2 oranges, a few small bananas, a cucumber

PM: a couple more oranges, a couple more small bananas, some lychee, an ice cream bean fruit, 2 hibiscuses (hibisci?), 2 nori rolls with nori, green onion, alfalfa sprouts, 1/4 cup sprouted kamut (measured unsprouted) total, a few sprigs cilantro, red leaf lettuce, lemon juice, and a drizzle of olive oil

Exercise: Yesterday I didn't do my weights like I'd planned to, and I probably won't get around to it tonight either. Oh well. I'm going to order the 4 pound hand weights, so that will be an improvement. I'm getting stronger!

I ran 4 miles, walked 1 mile.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2007 06:54AM by suncloud.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: August 22, 2007 01:52PM

mornin glories

rawdanceruk: wow

brokenbrooke: there is no balancing "good" and "bad". Consider that you decide what is "good" and what is "bad". If you deem something bad for you then no amount of good will make it less so. Instead of trying to balance "good" and "bad", try instead to focus on what you consider good and take your attention or focus off what you consider bad. Then the good will increase and the bad decrease.

pakd4fun: a visit to your home is high on my list of things I want to do.

Yesterday I began the day with 2 oranges hand squeezed and then later had two bananas back to back. After work I stopped in at a small cafe and had a spinach salad with sweet red onions and black olives and half of an avocado sandwich on the cafes house bread. Last night I had a large crenshaw melon that was so sweet and watery-juicy that I wish I had bought two.

Lots of thoughts this morning, but very little time. I'll endeavor to get back sometime later this afternoon.

khale

Date: August 22, 2007 01:59PM

Good moerning everyone!!!

Khale, how is your back??

Rawdancer, fantastic!!

Suncloud, Do you put hibiscus in a salad? Do you ever just eat them alone?

Brokenbrooke, sorry times are so hard for you and yours right now. Thank goodness for good neighbors.

Hey there pattycake.

We ate cooked last night because we had to go to the health food store and it was a good opportunity to get something "healthy" that I don't have to prepare. Even though I am not eating the "junk" I normally eat on my cooked days I still feel the ill effects pretty badly. I have a lot of mucus and my digestion is not good and started feeling very sleepy about an hour after eating. I had a really neat, but frustrating dream. It would have been a great dream if not for the frustration. One good thing is my kids are sleepy too and are all still asleep now. One time my husband jokingly said "let's give them cooked and we'll stay raw so they will go to bed before us smiling smiley."

Yesterday I ate:

-tea*
-acv, water and honey drink
-banana
-strawberries
-spring mix greens with flax oil and salt
-tofu salad* (tofu, green,red and yellow bell peppers and pesto sauce)
-organic crackers* with beet hummus* (beet hummus was really tasy and pretty. I am going to try to make a raw version.)
-tea*

On the classified forum there is a house for rent, the one formerly occupied by Viktoris (whatever his name is). Anyway I took a virtual tour of it and it has a fine greenhouse attatched. I would love that. Actually I loved the whole house but I am thinking someday I want an attatched greenhouse. It is like a greenhouse/sunroom. COOL!!

Posted by: birch ()
Date: August 22, 2007 02:41PM

caseyberaw --

how long do you soak your oat groats? What is the texture?

Suncloud --

Same question re: sesame seeds

I would love to eat both of these but can't handle them unsoaked. tried soaking the sesame seeds but maybe not long enough?

Date: August 22, 2007 03:10PM

I soak oat groats over night, probably about 8 hours.

Date: August 22, 2007 05:50PM

Jody.. Punnet must be a british thing.. I never knew!! Its just a little pot..can be anything from 200g-310g of berries..depending on the size!!

Have had an awful day, just been having really low spells, ended up in the toilets crying like a baby. Eventually got myself together, went to the doctors, they want to sign me off for a week- but I work for tyrants and dont know if they will allow me. I have to speak to my manager tommorow, if it will mean loosing my job then I will just battle through.

I ate some beansprouts, 1 hass avacado. My colleague brought me a bit of raw cake to cheer me up in the afternoon which was sweet.

Just really low, I threw out all painkillers, cos I really am hitting crisis point. I never go to the doctors, but I was scared. Just.. trying not to cry and keep busy tidying the house/cleaning things for now.

Anyways sorry if that was too long. Thank you for this thread Khale. It means the world to me.

Raw_dancer

Posted by: pattycake ()
Date: August 22, 2007 06:58PM

I like zucchini noodles with marinara sauce. What else can you use for noodles in the winter if you can't get zucchini? Spaghetti squash, maybe?

Date: August 22, 2007 07:15PM

Wow! It sure sounds like every one is doing great. I spent some time in the kitchen today and made flax seed crackers and raw onion bread. I haven't made the onion bread before so I'm anxious to see how it comes out. It is still dehydrating until probably this evening. My non-raw hubby lhad some at a raw restaurant this past weekend and really liked it, so hopefully it will work for him. I say he is non-raw, because he doesn't consider himself such, but actually, he is more than 50% I think as he still eats bread, oatmeal, pasta, tofu and some meat. I am fixing his lunches all raw, except for maybe one slice of bread. He is willing to try this to lose weight and lower his blood pressure and blood sugar. The doctor gave him 2 months to get everything in check. I'll let you know how things come out. He's been on plan for one month now.

I was able to stay 100% raw yesterday...here is what I ate:

Breakfast: Green Smoothie (2, banana, 1 c kale, 1 c spinach, 2 TB hemp, 1 c blueberries + 1TB super green supplement) I like using the supplement (= to 24 servings of greens) because I don't like greens and know I don't get enough of them

Snack: 1 brazil nut

Lunch: 2 TB flax seeds ground over 3 nectarines; 1 banana w/ 1 TB almond butter

Snack: lara bar

Dinner: 1 banana + 1 c raspberries smoothie

walked 4 miles / no weight change

Date: August 22, 2007 07:30PM

rawdanceruk, Sorry to hear about your low spell. I thought your work was understanding. You have to do what you have to do in that regard. It does sound like your eating is getting better. Your low spell could be caused by the lack of nutrition you have been experiencing. Maybe it will help to tell yourself to expect to be depressed and to feel weak and tired and hormonal. I don't know much about EDs but I do know about deficiency. Do what you have to do to get well again. Remember all of us are cheering you on!!! PM me anytime. I enjoy our friendship.

Date: August 22, 2007 07:59PM

Thank you for the kind words pakd4fun

I am feeling just numb to everything. I am going to drink some herbal sleep infusions and get to bed. Easiest thing right now.

Thanks for the support x

Current Page: 7 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables