Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Most "bang for your buck"
Posted by: Shubby ()
Date: August 12, 2007 10:35PM

I spend a lot of time out of town. My job brings me to some very remote places of Northern Canada. Some of these villages do not always have fruits and veggies. When I go for a few days I bring lots of stuff with me but usually run out. What could I bring that is small and very nutrtious and filling. Nuts? What kinds? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Most "bang for your buck"
Posted by: knownalien ()
Date: August 12, 2007 10:40PM

I'll like like a broken record, but I would bring avocados at vrious stages of ripeness and eat them as they become ready although you can eat them early on and at any point where they don't "stink."

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 12, 2007 11:57PM

I would also maybe consider some dried fruits in addition to nuts if you can find them without anything added to them...only dehydrated. They travel well and you don't have to worry about spoilage.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: August 13, 2007 12:37AM

How about a bag of apples? They are always plentiful, and not so hard to pack, they don't get scwished, and don't need refridgeration and are 100% raw.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: August 13, 2007 01:00AM

Sprouts are a great option. Just bring whatever sprouting seeds you desire, along with a mason jar or two, and simply soak, rinse, and sprout them wherever you are. I've even heard of backpackers just dangling the jars off of their backpacks as they travel. TONS of nutrition, little effort, and even less cost!

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: August 13, 2007 04:28AM

Maybe try dehydrating crackers and other treats.

Also nuts and dehydrate your own fruit and make fruit leather!! Dried pineapple is delicious, coconut is great.

Do you have a fridge where you are going, if so, you have many more options. Make a salad dressing, and bring veggies and sprouts, by the time you run out of veggies your sprouts should be ready. Lots of fruit / veggies last a long time in the fridge. Things that are more filling avocados, coconuts, coconut oil(butter), almonds, walnuts, cashews, etc. Also bananas are very filling if you can bring several bunches.

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 13, 2007 08:47PM

these are cool suggestions
considering his name is SHUBBY\

just kiddingsmiling smiley

i like the name

get a kick out of it

hope your trips bode well shubby

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: August 14, 2007 07:46PM

Kind of off topic but the IMHO the best thing you
can buy for cheap is bananas.
Every store I've been into will sell ripened bananas
for cheap. Usually title trimmer bananas or bake
bananas.
Again, every store I've been to has this...

Posted by: Daisy61 ()
Date: August 16, 2007 02:32PM

I'm surprised no one mentioned E3 live, wheat grass juice (can be bought in little shot bottles), or taking wheat grass seeds, powdered spirulina, powdered chlorella, Maca. I always take E3 live and wheat grass juice with me when I'm away from home. I also take pumpkin seeds (which I have usually soaked and dehydrated and ground in my coffee grinder), raisins, cashews. I take these things even if I'm going camping or to my parents for a few days. A blender is also a huge benefit.

How far north are you going?
I'm in Ottawa, not really North, only seems that to some from the south of USA.

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 16, 2007 02:39PM

Where do you get the E3 Live and the wheatgrass juice? Is the wheatgrass juice as good as making it fresh? I don't have a juicer that will do wheatgrass, so short of buying another one, I would be happy with shot bottles as an alternative.

Posted by: Daisy61 ()
Date: August 16, 2007 02:46PM

I get both of these at my local health food store, Rainbow foods, here in Ottawa. But I'm sure you could search online for a supplier near you. The wheatgrass juice comes in a package of 7 shots of 33 ml, the site is www.agronica-inc.com though it's an Ontario company, I'm sure they are not the only ones producing this. It tastes like the shots we buy at Juicing bars.

Good luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables