Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Excalibur Dehydrators
Posted by: nannie11 ()
Date: August 13, 2007 01:54AM

I am thinking of buying a dehydrator but can't decide which one to get. Do you think the 5 tray or the 9 tray is better. I have never had anything from a dehydrator and I don't even know if I will like dehydrated food. Do you use your dehydrator alot? Is it a good addition to this life style.

thank you

Jo

Re: Excalibur Dehydrators
Posted by: greenie ()
Date: August 13, 2007 02:15AM

It's a great addition to your kitchen. I use mine a lot when I'm raw. I have the 4 tray, which is plenty for me. The 9 tray is better and there's not so much difference in price. I had the 9 tray and it was too noisy so I sold it and got the 4 tray. I live in a very small space so and the larger fan size in the 9-tray was too loud for me; but I'm the only one I've ever heard having that reaction.

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 13, 2007 12:49PM

I am the only one raw in my family. I bought a 5 tray Excalibur and use it about once a week. I usually make a batch of flax seed crackers which uses 2 trays and maybe one other recipe. I need extra trays for flipping, so the 5 tray works fine. If you're going to be using it a lot, I would get the 9. Make sure you order teflex sheets too. They don't automatically come with the dehydrator.

Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: August 13, 2007 01:27PM

I bought the nine tray.
I used it for about three months trying out all sorts of gourmet recipes.

I found that my body did not react well to dehydrated foods, so i rarely use it now.

I still make flax crackers occasionally and take the chill off raw soup in the winter months.
The nine tray is useful for dehydrating excess garden produce (if you have the space to store the dried goods)

Posted by: basil ()
Date: August 13, 2007 03:27PM

I have the 5 tray and I go in phases of using it on and off...What I wish it had is a timer...I got mine on sunfood.com...It didn't cross my mind upon ordering. On the manual it shows a picture which has a timer built in, I would reccomend trying to find out about that so that you dont have to jump out of bed in the middle of the night to start/stop it.

Posted by: logan ()
Date: August 13, 2007 11:15PM

we just purchased an excaliber 5 tray.Our first go round was zucchini chips @ 120 degrees for 24 hrs and the chips did not get crisp. We sliced the zucc approx 1/4 inch. Did we do something wrong or is this a normal time frame? or could the temperature setting have been to low.

Posted by: smilebig ()
Date: August 14, 2007 12:13AM

My fruits and vegetables do not get crisp. They get chewy. If you have a mandolin, maybe try slicing them 1/8 of an inch.

Posted by: logan ()
Date: August 14, 2007 11:19AM

how long and at what temp.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables