Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

So who has worked at Whole Foods?
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: August 14, 2007 05:49AM

I'm going to be applying for a job at 2 different stores (20%discount!) and was hoping to get some tips. Help me and I'll hook you up. lol. I can apply online but I hate those damn personality quizes that get checked through a computer. They suck. They're not even fair. I suck with numbers and don't want to stand in one spot all day which is why I will not be applying for a job as a cashier. But of course they can't tell that on their stupid quizes.

I never know what to put either because I can pick all the obvious "right" answers like don't yell at a customer lol but you have to wonder if you sound *too perfect* then the computer decides you're lying and you don't get hired because of that.

Ugh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2007 05:50AM by LikeItOrNot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: So who has worked at Whole Foods?
Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: August 14, 2007 02:06PM

I am currently working at Whole Foods; been there for about four months. I've become a somewhat bitter and jaded since my initial excitement, but I think that's the nature of 1) being a cashier, and 2) any job (every job eventually becomes redundant). I never had to do any personality tests for Whole Foods, but I've done them for other positions and yes, they do suck. I feel your pain.

What I like about this job is 1) the 20% discount (which really only brings the prices down to marginally ridiculous, but hey, it's a discount); 2) working for an extremely ethical and responsible company, both environmentally and socially; 3) helping to promote the natural/organic lifestyle; 4) interacting with people (I think too much when I'm by myself); 5) making more than minimum wage (I'm a part-time student, living on my own); and 6) (most of) my coworkers are really great, fun people.

I have a couple big dislikes about the job though, and many days they seem to cancel out all the good stuff: 1) it just gets SO freaking redundant, every day dealing with stupid customers, standing in one place, going through the same routine. But, a situation is what you make of it, so I suppose it's partly my fault I'm bored; and 2) this is not what I want to be doing for the rest of my life, which again is my fault. That said, I'm going to school to hopefully get into a satisfying career; Whole Foods is only a way to support myself while doing so.

All in all, though, Whole Foods is a fantastic place to work (they even run a few charities), with great benefits (medical, dental, "mental health days," etc.). The trick is not letting yourself get bogged down by routine. Good luck!

Posted by: lovebird ()
Date: August 14, 2007 05:00PM

I worked in the Deli at Whole Foods one summer. That position is a lot more diverse. We were paid hourly as well as profit sharing, which was a nice little bonus (monthly or quarterly). Food can be a messy business but their kitchen was pristine.
Another bonus, at least for us, was that they let us have produce that was no longer sellable (but still great) for free.
The coveted position was the one person that got to run the floral department!

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: August 14, 2007 05:25PM

They use artificial ingredients in many of their bakery products and there are a hundred or so plastic container full of pastries neat the entrance to the store.

It really put me off - just like Safeway. Plus there's an artificial 'perfume' in the air near the entrance, which is so toxic to every living thing.

I'm just saying this because, despite the measures they DO take, they don't go as far as Capers. Capers doesn't use artificial scent, and they package bakery items mostly when ordered and into cardboard boxes. And now I think they're using those cool cardboard soup and salad take-out containers that Sweet Cherubim uses and charges extra for (I love that SC charges for the containers - logical !)

I'm not picking on Whole Foods - I just wish companies would really lead the way instead of pandering to the lowest, which they nearly always do.

And Enchantress, don't worry, you're not the only one who finds such work difficult to do day after day - you'll probably find something much more creative and satisfying in the future.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: August 15, 2007 02:26PM

I did a 13 page app for Blockbuster and I think besides the manager wanting someone close to her age (mature) to talk to the reason I got hired (never took the job) was because I finished the darn thing! 13 pages of questions!

I also found what I love doing early on as a young person, which I continued doing into adult-hood and that was in home childcare for me. I'm almost 55 and am still doing it.

Sometimes you have to search for that dream job and sometimes it just falls into place. I would say that the money comes along with what you enjoy doing, so look for satisfaction first, money second.

Love,
Prism

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables