Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How to Balance (female) hormones?!
Posted by: vegcase ()
Date: August 21, 2007 05:24AM

Hey females!

I have always had issues with this. I don't want to be on the pill, in fact I went off it several months ago. No matter what (pill or not), I have always had hormonal acne (on chin and jaw) every month it is extremely aggravating. Also I will sometimes feel "hormonal", or emotional when I know I am out of balance.
I started taking some flaxseed oil every day because I heard that was good-- but so far nothing is different this month (and the acne still appeared). There also seems to make no difference what I eat (I eat vegan and now mostly raw).

I want to be in balance!!!
What else can I be taking or supplementing with??
any help is appreciated. =)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to Balance (female) hormones?!
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: August 21, 2007 06:22AM

It's more important to cleanse though you might benefit from supplements in the meantime - I still take two things because I notice a significant difference when I don't.
I got benefits from doing a colon cleanse, cranio sacral therapy and especially from eliminating ALL sources of xenoestrogens in my home and environment.

Date: August 21, 2007 06:49AM

you might benefit from supplements in the meantime - I still take two things because I notice a significant difference when I don't.

aquadecoco, what two things do you take?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 21, 2007 07:39AM

I agree with aquadecoco, that a cleaner body is the first step. Having lots of green juices and avoiding fatty or complex foods a few days before my periods seems to do the magic for mesmiling smiley

I also used organic Vitex for about 6-7 months, which helped with my hormonal acnes (on my chin and on my back) and period pains a lot. I used to have very long and painful periods, with all possible signs of PMS (bloating, mood swings, cravings etc). Now I experience almost no symptoms and did not take a single pain medication for the last 11 months! A few other frieds who used Vitex were also happy with the results, especially during their periods.
Of course all of us have different bodies so what worked for me may not work for you, but perhaps you can search Vitex and then decide for yourself

Date: August 21, 2007 12:44PM

The supplements I take aren't for balancing hormones, I just mentioned them because I consider them to be temporary needs of mine. (I take CQ10 and cell salt Nat. Mur.)

After my struggle with hormone imbalance, I'm convinced it takes time and effort to get over it. Most supplements can be used temporarily for some help, but ultimately they just don't work in place of good health.....I tried for many years to find the best supplements, with only a little, temporary success.

Parsley and other greens are great for meeting nutritional needs of women. My iron count shot up after giving up red meat and high quality iron supplements, (which weren't helping at all). I started making green smoothies daily and the skin tone of my whole body returned to a nice colour.

I mention this because hormone imbalance and nutritional deficiences go hand in hand for many women. With acne, I think it's often because of a clogged liver.

Do you know about xenoestrogens ? Shower, hair, laundry and household products are full of the nastiest off-gassing agents imaginable. More and more people are becoming sensitive to them and whether or not you are, they affect you. If you think your food is important, imagine how important the air you breathe is.

Anyway, good luck with it!

Date: August 23, 2007 04:40AM

Thanks for the help.
I have heard of the xenoextrogens and so I shop only at the health food store for personal and household products to stay clear of them. Plus in skincare I am extra cautious about ingredients.

Today I bought supplements of Evening Primrose Oil because the woman working there suggested it (on top of the Flaxseed oil I am already taking)

Now I have a new question-- If I want to keep my liver healthy and make it easy on the liver to eliminate toxins (which an overworked liver alone could also affect hormones and cause acne).... then is it a good idea to be ingesting this much fat, from the oils, which can be hard on the liver?... hmm

Date: August 23, 2007 10:25AM

I'm going to contradict myself here, but this is what works for me:

Raw juices and foods helped me far faster than anything I bought in a bottle, even herbs.

Just try using as much fresh raw stuff you can - parsley, beets, etc and see if you don't notice a difference within a week or so.(Parsley seems esp. great for women or anyone who is unwell) This link is for a site that's great for cell salt diagnosis, but there's also a great article on parsley - you have to search for it.
[www.naturalhealthtechniques.com]

I have forgotten my supplements 3 or 4 times and found I felt really bad, but I have health conditions that haven't healed. If I could stop my life and rest and fast, I'm sure I could heal much faster and probably wouldn't use supplements then. But because I have to 'perform' like most of us have to, I'm healing more slowly while trying to keep up my energy and function.

Posted by: imfree ()
Date: August 25, 2007 03:48AM

Maca is supposed to be good for female hormone balance, so you might research that a bit. I just got some for the very same thing. I've never taken HRT, and I'm hoping this will help with the few minor symptoms I have.

Date: September 13, 2007 08:02PM

I know I keep repeating myself but.... still confused, and still having the same problem with skin.
My question is: If flax oil is good for the skin (for smoothing, etc.) and evening primrose oil is good for the skin (for hormone control), but BOTH are oils=fat, which are bad for the liver-- and the liver and skin are correlated, then how can they be good for the skin and bad for the liver at the same time?
I am just frustrated with my acne and I wonder if I should cut out everything including oils and supplements and just eat fruit and veges for awhile?
Also, if I am trying to clear my liver in order to clear my skin- will it "quicken" the process if I eat more insoluble fiber? (that sponge reference given in a previous post made it seem like it would help clear toxins fast)
It's just been so long now and no change sad smiley

Date: September 14, 2007 04:27AM

Have you tried the 10-10-80.

It's way more important to cleanse that add to your load with good fats - you might find a little fat goes wayyy further on a clean raw veg diet - I'm finding this.

Posted by: bracken ()
Date: September 14, 2007 06:16AM

I have the same problem with my hormones & skin, I have been taking a tsp of maca a day for about 2 months now, and I have not seen much change as yet, don't know if I am having enough? I also have linseed oil have for years, but discovering about the liver recently I am trying to balance that out by drinking dandilion tea, very good for liver! I,m also going to try lemon & cayanne in mineral water that was suggested for me to try. As for supplments, I an trying at the mo Potters skin tablets all natural, echinacea based, blood cleanser herbs are worth a try too, dandilion, burdock, sarsaparilla, blue flag.
What green juices do you make up Aquadecoco?

Date: September 14, 2007 11:13AM

I haven't been juicing, but I make green smoothies with lots of parsley and either kale or romaine (cos) lettuce and a little raw sesame (silica). But I am lucky I have had very little problem with my skin and don't know how to help break-outs.

Parsley is supposed to be very good for women.

[www.naturalhealthtechniques.com]

That site isn't raw, but otherwise I like the info and helpful, upbeat attitude of the author. She has lots of articles and info on lots of different healing methods.

Interestingly, she lists B12 as one of the nutrients in parsley. Hmmm...B12 is supposed to be rare as pink unicorns. Okay, I read on and saw that she says that parsley contains B12 producing compounds. That sounds good.

I just know that I feel better when ingesting a handful of parsley in a drink daily.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 14, 2007 12:45PM

vegcase,

To answer your question about the fatty supplements being healthful for your liver, no they are not. Most oils are already rancid, it's just that the element that gives it the rancid taste has been removed from the oils.

To reiterate what aquadecoco said, its way better to improve your health than it is to supplement. Supplements will suppress your symptoms, not make you healty. You can tell this because if you quit the supplement, the problem usually just comes back.

Here's a better formula for better health. Eat only whole ripe raw fresh organic fruits and vegetables. As much as possible for you, leave out the overt fats. Get more rest and sleep, more than you are currently getting, and even more than you think you need. Get some regular exercise or physical activity. Spend time outdoors, preferably in nature, gettings lots of fresh air and sunshine. Reduce stress and worry and anxiety in your life. Work on getting more emotional balance/poise in your life.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2007 01:07PM by Bryan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables