Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

late night carb cravings
Posted by: vegcase ()
Date: August 21, 2007 05:45AM

Hello.... sometimes my cravings sneak back around at night (when I have to stay up working), and I feel like I just need CARBS, or even something cooked =(, and my craving tells me fruit and veges will not suffice. The only thing that sometimes helps are dates, but I don't want to be eating too many sweet fruit. Also I don't always have them around. Plus the craving is so particular that I usually reach for sprouted bread or hummus. Any suggestions for kicking this craving?

(by the way... this usually persists AFTER I have already tried curbing the craving with a green smoothie!=( ?)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: late night carb cravings
Posted by: venusian ()
Date: August 21, 2007 06:00AM

sleep

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: August 21, 2007 06:14AM

You could try raw yams or eat them with greens. In season, they're surprisingly juicy. Also, sprouted beans can satisfy carb cravings.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 21, 2007 08:46AM

make some raw hummus and dip zuchini slices in it smiling smiley yum

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 21, 2007 04:01PM

I like to fix a fuit smoothie. It is cold, sweet and filling with not that many calories. I freeze my fruit which makes it thick but then if I'm really hungry, I'll put a lot of water to make it go farther.

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: August 21, 2007 04:38PM

I eat a slice of raw pie or a few raw cookies when really intense carb cravings hit. I avoid eating anything made with stimulants like cacao or coffee, I don't like the way they make me feel and found raw carob treats to really hit the spot. smiling smiley My all time fave is in Nomi Shannon's "The Raw Gourmet" book. Her carob truffle balls are soooo simple and so delicious. I make a batch and store some in the fridge and freeze the other half. I love eating the frozen truffle balls with a cup of tea. They never get too frozen and are just perfectly chilled. It really works for me after a long day when I feel like a comfy treat that's healthy and clean.

For everyday carb cravings.. when they hit I usually go back over my diet to see if I'm missing anything in it in terms of balance. I normally find that if I'm carb craving at night I've been skimping on my protein intake during the day and have just have been doing *a lot* of fruits and/or veggies. When I make sure to eat at least 3 meals throughout the day that include a concentrated raw protein source - i.e. 1/2c. - 1c sprouted lentils, hemp seed powder, 1/2 c.- 1c. seed pate, etc. I notice that I have fewer carb cravings. There seems to be a link there for me. And it works..

i breathe in
i breathe out
peace
love
joy
Bikini

Posted by: nik ()
Date: August 22, 2007 12:56AM

I get carb cravings when my blood sugar drops. Unfortunately even green smoothies still have a lot of sugar and make me hungry right afterwards. Try snacking on a low fat nut like salted pistachios. That usually levels out my blood sugar from all the fruits etc. Raw bars help too. Or you can also make sprouted quinoa with hemp seeds.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 22, 2007 03:40AM

Craving carbs is a sign that you are eating too many of you calories coming from fat and not enough of your calories coming from fruit if you are eating an all raw diet. Try eating more sweet fruit in the day, say like 4 ripe bananas at every meal.

Posted by: Ashcat ()
Date: August 22, 2007 06:40AM

I hate to disagree with Bryan, as he seems so raw-wise winking smiley but I also find that the only thing that satisfies my carb cravings is a little bit of fat. A few nuts to munch on, some homemade guacamole & crackers, some sprouted hummus or tabouli...it's the fats that keep me feeling full.

Perhaps you could try to split the difference and have a banana w/ a bit of nut butter when the munchies strike. Then once you're further along, you may find that the banana alone does the trick.

Posted by: anna_elle ()
Date: August 23, 2007 05:38AM

I agree with Bikini and Venusian. The times I crave carbs are when I am sleep deprived or when I lack sufficient protein in my diet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables