Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do Commercially Pre-Soaked Nuts Convey Live Foods Benefits?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 17, 2006 03:51AM

I am living in Fiji on an ashram. We are very isolated and it is a BIG deal to get things here from afar.

We are striving for self-sufficiency and trying to grow many things ourselves. We are a long ways from that and have much to do, over many years. Fortunately, this place is to be served into "forever" and our work will bloom for others.

In the meantime we need to order things. I found a US site that sells pre-soaked, organic seeds and nuts [http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/nuts_soaked_dried_organic.htm].

To quote the site: "Traditional people always soaked or partially sprouted their seed and nuts before they were eaten. This is because nuts contain numerous enzyme inhibitors that can put a real strain on the digestive mechanism if consumed in excess. Nuts are easier to digest and their nutrients are more readily available if they are first soaked overnight in water and then dried in a dehydrator. This method imitates the Aztec practice of soaking pumpkin and squash seeds and drying them dry in the sun before eating whole or grinding them into a meal. Soaking the nuts and seeds in water neutralizes the enzyme inhibitors and can increase the vitamin and mineral content."

I haven't heard of this before and wonder if the benefit of live food is lost over nuts (which are ready to germinate) and soaked just before consumption. Have others tried these products or does anyone have informed experience to share about this process?

Does anyone have good sources to order organic seeds and nuts from NZ or AUS? Or the US?

Warmly, Andrew

Re: Do Commercially Pre-Soaked Nuts Convey Live Foods Benefits?
Date: April 17, 2006 05:34AM

hi Andrew...can't answer U'r questions but
just wanted to say that
the raw/organic cashews, that we can buy here, & they come from USA
- with the skins on, they r sort of pink colour,
I DON'T LIKE THEM, there is something strange/not right about them,
i don't believe they r raw! after soaking for a short time they seem ....cooked!
that's the only way i can describe them!....i won't buy them again & would not recommend them to anyone either!
someone will help U soon, i'm sure, with U'r quest
LOTS OF LOVE & BLESSING, Basia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables