Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is avocado pit or sprout edible?
Posted by: jono ()
Date: September 05, 2007 02:15PM

Has anyone eaten an avocado pit? What about a sprouted avocado pit? Are they safe to eat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is avocado pit or sprout edible?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 05, 2007 03:26PM

doesn't sound very tasty.

this article is cool...

[www.rabbinathan.com]

Posted by: Galileo ()
Date: September 05, 2007 08:09PM

Yes!! I always blend the avocado seed in my smoothies. Its supposed to be very good for you like most seeds.

I always blend the seeds along with the fruit in my power blender when I make smoothies.

I have about three avocado seeds a week. As for the taste I don't really know as it just disappears into the smoothie. So its kinda tasteless.

Posted by: jono ()
Date: September 05, 2007 10:30PM

coco, thanks, that article is actually what sparked me to start this thread. also i think i read that blind guru puts em in the blender.

Galileo, how long have you been eating the avo seeds? Do you eat any other large seeds like durian seeds or mango seeds?

Posted by: Galileo ()
Date: September 06, 2007 01:03AM

Jono

I have been blending Avo seeds for about two or three years.

I haven't tried Mango seeds or durian yet.

I tried peach seeds but they were very very hard and although the blender did a lot of dammage to them they remained pretty much intact. Also the bits the blender did knock off stayed like bits of wood in the smoothie.

I have blended papaya seeds they are kind of peppery. I regularly blend orange and grapefruit seeds and also melon seeds. Avo seeds are no trouble to a power blender.

Has anyone out there tried a mango seed?

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: September 06, 2007 01:31AM

man, I love papaya seeds. too bad I don't love papaya so much. I mean, enough to pay extra for it when melons are so much cheaper.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 06, 2007 02:44PM

I compost avo pits, or I plant them. They usually sprout and grow for a season, and then die because the light and temp conditions aren't right for my area. But I believe they decompose faster this way to make fertilizer. But apparently thats not really a problem.
[scytheandspade.blogspot.com]

Edible or not, avo pits do not sound choice. I hope that they aren't poison to whoever is eating them.

Date: September 06, 2007 02:51PM

[www.becomenatural.com]

Toxicity to animals
There is documented evidence that animals such as cats, dogs, cattle, goats, rabbits, birds, and fish can be severely harmed or even killed when they consume the avocado leaves, bark, skin, or pit. The avocado fruit is poisonous to birds in some cases, so on a practical level feeding the fruit to birds should be avoided. Avocado leaves contain a toxic fatty acid derivative known as persin. The symptoms include gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, respiratory distress, congestion, fluid accumulation around the tissues of the heart and even death. Birds seem to be particularly sensitive to this toxic compound.

Negative effects in humans seem to be primarily in allergic individuals.

Posted by: cleanjan ()
Date: September 08, 2007 03:46PM

I licked/sucked on the mango seed once, to get all the fruit, and suffered a poison ivy rash all over the outside of my mouth. I found out it is related to the poison ivy plant. It took cortisone therapy to remove it. this was 10 years ago. So I do not recommend it. Btw, I am not allergic to anything else! Janice

Posted by: ErikSkulasonUSA ()
Date: September 09, 2007 12:13AM

I always blend the avocado pit in my high power blender.

As Dr. Tom Wu N.M.D. recommended the avocado pit is edible.

Don't let the taste to fool you.
Not everything what tastes good is also good for you and vice versa, if something does not taste good, this does not means that is not good for you.

Confusing maybe, bout I founded to be true.

I eat all the fruits with their seeds.

Attention how many seeds of what kind.
(Many seeds are very good germicides too, efficient when eaten in the morning on empty stomach - and no other food for the rest of the day. Efficient, cheap and natural.
Papaya seeds had strong effect on me (cleansing).

Pls. excuse my English - foreigner.

=============================================================
Medicine, Food Industry and Commerce are businesses.
Is their goal to make/keep me healthy or to make more profit?
=============================================================

Date: September 10, 2007 04:21PM

ErikUSA,
I planted some avocado pits in my yard. They sprouted, and then the deer ate them. After that I haven't seen them in my yard! Did it taste so bad that they haven't come back, did it kill them or make them sick?

Why isn't avocado pit eating a general practice?

Posted by: birch ()
Date: September 10, 2007 08:55PM

cleanjan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I licked/sucked on the mango seed once, to get all
> the fruit, and suffered a poison ivy rash all over
> the outside of my mouth. I found out it is related
> to the poison ivy plant. It took cortisone therapy
> to remove it. this was 10 years ago. So I do not
> recommend it. Btw, I am not allergic to anything
> else! Janice

Same exact thing happened to me, and I'm not allergic to anything else either. Also, I sucked on mango seeds plenty last year in New York, never having any reaction, then I moved to Florida, got a very bad poison ivy reaction, and about 5 times since then I got the poison ivy reaction on my mouth from mango (I think from the seed?)-- didn't realize it was the mango until a few weeks ago!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 10, 2007 09:29PM

Mango's Latin botanical name is Mangifera indica, and it belongs to the Anacardiaceae family, which includes cashew nuts, pistachio nuts, "sweet pepper", hog plum, Jamaican plum, sumac, poison ivy and poison oak.2,4,5,6 (Mangifera is a combination of the common name "mango" and fero ("to bear" in Latin). Indica means "of India", which is where the mango plant originates.2)

Mango is commonly eaten peeled and raw. Green or unripe mango has many uses in the cuisines of India, Malaysia and Thailand. It is used in various vegetable and lentil dishes, as a meat tenderizer, and in recipes for chutney, pickles and squash.2

During harvesting, stem sap may contaminate the peel, forming bleached, varnished or blackened patches. This occurs because of the self-melanizing urushiol (going black on contact with air), a substance present in members of the Anacardiaceae family.

Date: September 12, 2007 07:24PM

In india, mango leaves were/are used as painting pigments. The leaves are fed to cows and the urine is collected, and that is used. Apparently, mango leaf urine from a cow produces a bright gold dye. I don't know if its toxic to humans or not.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables