Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw foods, iodine, and quality of health and life
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: September 06, 2007 03:57PM

I've been having so much good fortune lately in some things I've been doing along with the raw foods life-style. One was the addition of the raw oranic unfiltered apple cider vinegar (maybe when you are 100% raw, not eating any SAD foods, and are very healthy you don't need it) which has helped with sciatica and digeston and good for my skin, then I did a 30 day parasite and worm cleanse, now I've found iodine!

This is so profound that I can hardly write about it. I know this will get moved to other forum, but that's ok..it will be here for now to the majority of people to read.

I'm hypothyroid with multi-nodule goiter diagonsed since I was 19, have been on thyroid meds for 31 years. It does not cure this, it does not remove the goiter or nodules. You are told you will be on it for life.

I found the iodine forum at curezone.com and it is changing not only my life, but my 24 year old son's life.

I am now taking about 40 mgs. of iodine (Lugol's liquid iodine) a day, and I'm told that (I've cut my thyroid meds in half already) it is possible to get off the thyroid meds, and have the goiter, and hypothyroidism gone! I'm believing it too.

My son has been living in this world of sleep walking, going in slow motion, foggy thinking, sleeping at least 12 hours a day (he's sleeps daytime, awake at night, frustraing to say the least) going down the wrong path with bad decsion making, and really his energry level has been just about 0. I started giving him iodine, 1 drop a day, which is 6 mg. a day. But I upped it to 50 mgs. 2 days ago.

Oh my gosh..he has awoken up from his slumbering life! He is making converstaion, he is back to his writing, he is enerzized, and he realizes it is changing is life! He's clear minded, he has stamina, he's interacting with others with clearity.

Apparently most people in US and other places (Japan excluded) are very iodine deprived. Iodine is needed for many functions in our bodies. Iodine is certainly required for our Endocrine system. I won't go into it, but if you want to know more about it, do some research on it, go to curezone and start reading about iodine.

I just had to let you all know about this! Sorry if it's off topic here.

Love,
Prism

Re: Raw foods, iodine, and quality of health and life
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: September 06, 2007 04:24PM

Prism, No its not off topic at all. Food and raw food especially. This is a living foods webpage. I think that many people are suffering in the world from low levels of iodine, but also from other trace elements. Sea vegetables, algae, kelps etc are great sources of iodine, and also other elements needed for health. Isolated elements may help specific identified deficiencies, but I found out that a lot of people are causing other imbalances from taking supplements, because most supplements are not from living things, and do not contain all the elements in balance.

Its likely that no food can provide everthing in balance, but I really believe it will be more balanced if you consume a wide variety of quality foods.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: September 06, 2007 04:36PM

Prism Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh my gosh..he has awoken up from his slumbering
> life! He is making converstaion, he is back to his
> writing, he is enerzized, and he realizes it is
> changing is life! He's clear minded, he has
> stamina, he's interacting with others with
> clearity.
>

sounds good prism, but i'm a bit confused.
the recommended daily is 100 micrograms for children.
you're giving 50 milligrams, which is 500 times the recommended amount.
and excess iodine can cause thyroid problems...

maybe i'm not understanding something...

Posted by: superjuicer ()
Date: September 06, 2007 05:13PM

Vitamins won't do that much to harm you really. For example the rda for vitamin d is 400 iu. But if you stand out in the sun for a while you will make like 30000 iu of vitamin d.

Date: September 06, 2007 05:22PM

I don't care to listen to our governemts way of thinking..please..they are in someones deep pockets. What is the leading medication today being prescribed? Thyroid medications!

In Japan their avg intake of iodine is 14 mgs to 34 mgs. a day. They virtually have no incidence of thyroid diseases.

They cultivate a particular seaweed that gives a high % of iodine, but it's apparently not avail. here in the States.

If you could get enough from food sources and start out during pregnancy not being deficient in iodine, then that would be ideal. But those here in the US and other places have a lot of health issues, which seemngly is from lack of sufficient iodine from in the womb and beyond. Like I stated, I believe this issue is so important, important to you and your families health, that I advise you to do your own research on this subject.

As for myself, I'm going to tell everyone that will listen. What I've learned, what results I've seen in myself, and in particular my son, is so significant, I can't not say something.

Love,
Prism

Date: September 06, 2007 05:26PM

Superjuicer,
Here is an opinion from the web about raw food and vitamin supplements. I know its not a raw and vegan expression, but just imagine the principle being the same.
[www.3.waisays.com]

uman Requirements

What are human vitamin / mineral requirements ?

Nobody can tell, now nor ever.

Simply because the need for vitamins and minerals depends on

- the consumed foods

- the processes in your body that depend on what you eat, do, breathe and experience

- how much sleep, stress and sun you get

- how happy you are

- hormonal contraceptive use

- how much you weigh

- etc., etc., etc.

Absorption rate of minerals and trace elements can easily vary from 5 to 80%, implicating a 16-fold different 'requirement'. Mineral and -trace elements contents can easily vary (even in the same foods !) 10 fold, and vitamin B12 for example even 12-fold. (42) So only considering differing food contents and absorption rates, equal recommendations already will lead to over 100-fold different actual total absorption. Therefore, it isn't even slightly possible to make a tiny bit correct estimate of the amounts you need.

Another webpage featuring images of vitamins under the microscope. Its interesting to see their forms and colors. Its also interesting to note how many biological chemicals have been tested for their 'vitaminness'. Some were thought to be necessary for life, and then later disproved. But who really knows how many substances are helpful if present in food, or how they function with vitamins, or not. Thats why I think its best if vitamins are obtained from food or sunlight etc...as much as what is practical and possible. To reduce the chances of toxicity and imblance. All nutrients work together in your body.

One supplement company feeds vitamins to microbes to create a life supplment. Its stated that vitamins need to be complexed with other factors found in living things to make them available.
[www.lifestar.com]

Date: September 06, 2007 05:52PM

Prism,
Here is some information about seaweeds.
[www.itmonline.org]

One of the best sources of iodine is kelp, and that is widely available. Even nori sheets are a fanastic source of iodine. You probably don't need an isolated iodine supplement because one particular type of seaweed isn't available. There are plenty still available. Plus you will get additional minerals, vitamins, fiber etc from whole food sources of iodine.

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: September 06, 2007 07:41PM

Prism,

I'm happy for you & your son!

You may want to take it easy on your sons iodine dosage, tho. Too much iodine, can cause a thyroid storm. This is life threatning. Iodine supplements are almost tastless, and seem non-threatning. I've learned the hard way in life, to go easy on supplements, and increase them slowly, so you can feel & observe, how your body is doing with it. As a mother, you don't want to do anything that would harm your relationship with your son, if he gets ill from too much iodine.

Panic attacks, heart palpatations, are some signs of hyperthyroidism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2007 07:47PM by Rawrrr!.

Date: September 06, 2007 08:59PM

I did my research before even buying the Lugol's liquid iodine. 50 mgs. is a maintainence dose for the most part. He could go to 100 mgs. without any problems.

If you read over at curezone.com and do the research after getting to understand iodine as essential in our lives you will want to start incorporating it into you and your families lives.

Lugol's is anything but tasteless! You mix the drops into water and it tastes very much like hard mineralized water..not too yummy!

Love,
Prism

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: September 06, 2007 09:09PM

Thanks for this thread. I am going to look into getting more iodine, especially for my daughter.

So glad you are finding things to continue improving your, and your families', health.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 07, 2007 12:53AM

awesome awesome awesome! it's so terrific to see our kids doing well. i'd do anything for the sake of my wee pumpkins. glad to hear you hit on something that's benefitting you both. i'll have to make sure we start eating more seaweed! little used to devour sheets of it as a toddler, he loved the stuff!
thanks prism.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: September 07, 2007 04:25AM

that`s great! i was just wondering how he was doing...
patty

Posted by: imfree ()
Date: September 07, 2007 06:05AM

Prism, where do you buy it?

I looked into this topic at curezone.com and was impressed. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Date: September 07, 2007 01:42PM

I bought it at jcrows.com and it's inexpensive. Yesterday was my son's 3rd day on the 50 mgs..and he's doing better than ever.

Prism

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2007 01:43PM by Prism.

Date: September 07, 2007 07:34PM

Prism,
Do you mean 50 mcg (micrograms)? not miligrams (mg) Anything greater than 2mg per day.
[www.merck.com]

Daily recommendations are generally in the micrograms.
[www.nutrientfacts.com]

I personally would seek professional supervision for intakes in the 50mg range, especially of elemental iodine.

I've experiemented with indium supplementation, and I got some insomnia and other symptoms. I now have a personal policy of using food sources for nutrients. Its too scary for me to use elemental forms.

Date: September 07, 2007 08:48PM

As I stated in my first post here about this subject, do the research if you are interested, and I would suggest from different sources. There are Dr.'s that are working with iodine supplementation for their patients and you can find the core group of those Dr.'s names at curezone.com on the iodine supplementation forum. It's very interesting to read about it. Here's the link to the core Dr.s..check it out. There are pros, cons, debates, and lots of info.
[iodine4health.com]

I take 60 mg. not micrograms. I may take up to 100 mgs. soon, and maybe even more. The recommended maintainence dose is around 50 mgs. once you are saturated with iodine. Just take a look at how much they get in Japan from their standard diet. I'm not recommending everyone go out and start taking iodine. I'm suggesting that you take a look at how essential iodine is, and to do the work before you do the supplementing.

Look, I was put on thyroid meds when I was very young..I've been on them for 31 years, and it did not help or cure my hypthyroidism or make my thyroid goiter go away. If I'd gotten what my body really needed back then which was iodine, my thyroid would have gotten the essential material to function properly and the goiter would have disappeared.

I've taken my own health into my own hands many times before, been the better off for it, and now I'm just upping it because I'm more confident in helping myself.

You certainly can't work out of fear, and if you are fearful, I would suggest you not do anything until you are confident about your choice. It's not for everyone.

There have been people here like me, on thyroid meds, wanting to get off of them..and not having any ansewers on how to possibly do that..here's an option now.

Love,
Prism

Date: September 07, 2007 08:55PM

it feels good to find a solution. good for you prism.

i thought it was common knowledge for years though, that iodine was critical with regards to thyroid issues, so it's strange that noone has made you aware of it.

i was also wondering if you live in an area where there is little or no iodine in the soil?

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 07, 2007 08:57PM

That must be really exciting Prism, it's great to hear about such turnarounds.

Date: September 07, 2007 09:05PM

For Fresh,

Of course I knew nothing about anything medical..I was in my early 20's! Ok..so many of you are way smarter then I was at 20! Must be the iodine in the seaweed you all raw fooders eat!

I counted on the Dr.'s to take care of my health..so you know how true but sad that is for many people.

So, when they said, oh..you are pregnant..I knew that..oh you have a goiter..didn't know that..oh you need to go on thyroid meds after the birth of your child...took the tests..went on the meds..been a roller coaster ride for 31 years..hence the reason I've always wanted to get off. You try and ride a roller coaster without a break for that long!

I've been to a number of Dr.'s and even started out for 6 years with an Endocronologist. They don't know nothing about no iodine!

So, how lucky are we now that we have the Internet with a wealth of info.! We are lucky dogs..lucky, lucky..luckysmiling smiley

Love,
Prism

Date: September 07, 2007 10:02PM

Prism,
Firstly I hope that you feel better and get healthier, thats whats important. I don't know how much iodine is consumed in the standard Japanese diet. Whatever it is, I am sure that most of them are not going out of their way to get massive amounts of iodine. The amounts they consume must be from the seaweed, fish and other ocean foods they depend upon so much. I don't know what other factors assist or restrain the effects of such an amount of iodine.

I'm sure that the amount of mercury in the Japanese diet is also very high, especially with regular consumption of tuna. If it was elemental mercury, I am sure its a toxic level, but because its processed by an organism its probably less toxic. Perhaps the Japanese people can tolerate more iodine and mercury from a lifetime of consuming large amounts, and generations of consuming such a diet, and maintaining such a lifestyle.

I have heard of some herbs which assist in strengthing thyroid function, strangely enough some of these herbs had no detectable amounts of iodine. I have also heard of some other nutrients involved with thyroid function, for which there are several other key nutrients.

I hope that you don't need to take meds and recover if thats any help.

Date: September 07, 2007 10:25PM

that's a crime. must have been big pharma propaganda
shaping medical advice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables