Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

WATER CHESTNUTS! WOW!=90% iron! ...
Date: April 21, 2006 05:37AM

Namaste All!

just came by this info...it's amaaaaazing!!!

www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/5aday/month/tubers.htm

check it out for U'r self
& tell me what U think...

also

have U tried the raw water chestnuts?...

i have to find them & try them asap!
LOVE & BLESSINGS, Basia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WATER CHESTNUTS! WOW!=90% iron! ...
Date: April 28, 2006 04:34PM

wow! so no one tried the raw water chestnuts yet!?!?....or have U?wonder what they taste like...
RAW ANGELS! WAKE UP! LET ME KNOW - PLEEEEASE...
LOOOOOVE
Namaste, Basia

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: April 28, 2006 10:58PM

I've had chestnuts but never water chestnuts. Are they the same?

Chestnuts are probably my favorite nut, it's too bad I can only get them in the fall/winter...

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: April 30, 2006 06:52AM

Water chestnuts can be easily purchased canned in the Asian food aisle. I usually rinse mine through water to get the canned tasted out. They are crunchy and white. They have a light taste to them. They are great in salads.

Raw water chestnuts are harder to come by as they are only sold at an Asian store in the veggie section. They are not always in stock. They look brown on the outside and must be peeled. I've never bought them this way.

Water chestnuts are not a nut but more of a root vegetable. [en.wikipedia.org]
[www.wholehealthmd.com]

Therese

Posted by: cattzeye ()
Date: May 06, 2006 09:25PM

I have seen raw water chestnuts at the Asian stores. I haven't tried them, yet, though. I have been watching this thread, to see if anyone has tried them raw, because I'd like to get an idea about how they taste before I buy. Maybe I'll just break down next time I'm at the Asian market, and go ahead and get some. Then I'll post back here, and let you know what I think! I have always like the canned ones, love the taste and crunch, but would love it if they can be eaten raw.

Christine

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: May 06, 2006 10:46PM

If they have a brown outer shell & the nut is yellow then I eat these all the time when in season. They are my favorite nut because of the chewy/soft crunch texture and to me has a small vanilla flavor.

Date: May 09, 2006 06:38AM

welll...it wouldn't post the photo that this text came with....

Water Chestnut
Serving Size (62g)
Amounts Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 30
Calories from Fat 0
Total Fat 0g 0%
Sodium 5mg 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 8g 3%
Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
Sugars 1g
Protein 1g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%
Iron 90%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Water Chestnut

The water chestnut, resembles a chestnut in color and shape, is also known as the Chinese water caltrop. This tuber is commonly associated with Chinese cooking, but is finding its way into other ethnic meals.

Hailing from Southeast Asia, water chestnuts are actually roots of an aquatic plant that grows in freshwater ponds, marshes, lakes, and in slow-moving rivers and streams. These roots are commonly grown in Japan, Taiwan, China, Thailand, and sometimes in Australia. Water chestnut harvesting is laborious, making them somewhat expensive to purchase. Processed and canned water chestnuts widely found in most supermarkets. However, fresh water chestnuts, are more difficult to find, but are becoming more available.

If you find fresh water chestnuts, select those that are firm with no signs of wrinkling. These will need to be peeled prior to eating and cooking. Stored fresh tubers need to be wrapped tightly in a plastic bag for up to one week.

Canned, unopened water chestnuts will store indefinitely. Once opened, canned tubers will keep up to one week in a bowl of water. Be sure to change the water daily for the ‘freshest’ product.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables