Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Disturbing website on how Juicing is Bad for you
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 21, 2006 01:16PM

I want to get opinions on this to see if this is really true.. do most raw fooders believe that juicing is not as good for you as blending? And has anyone tried blending avocado pits in their blenders?

The website I am referring to is
Rawfoodadvantage.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Disturbing website on how Juicing is Bad for you
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: April 21, 2006 01:59PM

wow, thanks for that gonnabe! Very interesting. I was just going to order a new juicer (my last one broke) but now I'm not so sure...

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: April 21, 2006 02:26PM

I think this "Rawfoodadvantage.com" site is complete nonsense, there isn't any citations of references to backup any of the claims make on the site.

Not to mention the hypocrisy of making claimings 'juicers are bad', that it's a waste time, that it 'accelerates the aging process', along with "We do not need your business" and "I have a conscience", yet still sell over 20 different juicers...

Where you see people claiming to have or tell the "truth", think priest and believe what ever you want. Where you see people claiming "facts", look for references and citations before concidering whatever theory is put forward to tie the facts together. And remember this theory will most likely change as new facts are discovered.

Blending vs. juicing? When you juice you are seperating the liquid from the solid, if you disgard to solid (pulp) you will be leaving out a good source of fiber, maybe other elements. When blending you don't seperating these things.

Even when juicing, you don't have to through away the pulp, you can make some yummy snacks with it in a dehydrator or add it to a soup to thicken it up.

Ian.

Date: April 21, 2006 10:40PM

I do not recommend getting your nutritional information from random websites such as Rawfoodadvantage.com , you should get your nutritional information from an expert or doctor, such as Dr. Gabriel Cousens, Dr. Brian Clement, Dr. Ann Wigmore, Dr. Norman Walker, or Dr. Herbert Shelton.

Listen to the advice of Dr. Norman Walker, who lived to be 114 years old in perfect health, and he drank juice every day.

If you want good health, a juicer is very important. Juice has every protein amino acid, carbohydrate, essential fats, minerals, vitamins, phytonutrients, and enzymes.

Fresh Juice is the best food on earth!

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: April 21, 2006 11:55PM

Mike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Juice has every protein amino acid,
> carbohydrate, essential fats, minerals, vitamins,
> phytonutrients, and enzymes.

Suerly that depends on what you are juicing!

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: April 22, 2006 12:12AM

Hey Mark.

Like I said before.

Bad marketing homeboy. winking smiley

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: April 22, 2006 01:55AM

"I do not recommend getting your nutritional information from random websites such as Rawfoodadvantage.com "

you see, the thing is, Mike, I don't believe anything in this world is 'random'

(-;

Date: April 22, 2006 10:44PM

Well... check out qigong.com and read their book. or just go on their site and you will be convinced that juicers are the biggest scam out there. Who in the world wants to take the time to juice and throw out all that money they spent on produce. And.. if juicing is so good.. where are you getting your phytochemicals and anti oxidants from. Stop focusing on vitamins, enzymes, and minterals.. the focus should be on the other. And.. if you don't blend that pulp to put in your other recipees you still dont get the phytochemicals you need.

I have talked to people that had cancer and have juiced for a year and then they bought a blender and then they slowly got rid of their cancer instead of having surgery..

dont listen to me... just try it yourself.

Date: April 23, 2006 03:23AM

You know, I take a lot of that with a pinch of salt. But it's important to have a balanced diet. If you live off juice only, you will most likely have problems, probably steming from a lack of fiber I'd guess.

I think that you're a little too caught up in the juice good/juice bad side of things, and maybe should consider what you are juicing. Pomigranite juice is really high in anti-oxidants, I don't really know much about phytochemicals, but are they only in the solids?

And just because you juice doesn't mean you don't blend as well. When I make smoothies, I'll juice somethings, and others will go whole into the blender with the juice.

I'm sure there are people who would scam anybody with anything, but labeling all juicing as scam is, well it seems little narrow minded to me (please, no offence intended, I'm going you sharing the opinions of others rather than attacking/critizing your opinion).

How long have you been juicing? What else was in your diet when you where juicing? And what negative effects did you think you suffered from juicing?

Cheers,
Ian.

Date: April 23, 2006 03:40AM

I have had the experience of helping someone who was on his deathbed by juicing 3 cups of juice a day for him and watching as over a period of two months his prostate went back to normal, his too-high cholesterol went down by over 100 points, and his heart problem became no longer a problem. The doctor was so surprised that when he got tested after 2 months of juicing that he called just to tell him, "There's not a thing wrong with you now!"

Posted by: dream earth ()
Date: April 23, 2006 04:28AM

Wheatgrass when grown with sea water contains all 92 minerals/periodic elements. The -only- way to consume this wonderfull food is by juicing. You cannot blend wheatgrass because grass fibers are too much for the human system. Therefore, regardless of what else you can juice or blend, juicers are good for wheatgrass, and wheatgrass juice is good for you. I am personally turned off by the thought of juicing root vegetables, apples, citrus fruits, and similar ingredients, as I know they are harmfull to my own body. But juicing wheatgrass is a great thing to do, and I also like the rawfoodadvantage person, and how has ethics and won't sell to scum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2006 04:30AM by dream earth.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 23, 2006 04:56AM

Here are some disadvantages of juicing:

1. Juicing is expensive. If you are juicing greens and fruit, you are throwing away a very important and essential nutrient: fiber. Without fiber your alimentary canal will get clogged. Also, the fiber that you are throwing away help make you feel full, and because you are throwing this away, it takes more juice to feel full than the equivalent amount of greens or fruit.

2. Nutrients are lost from oxidation. Some say this is insignificant, but juicing definitely oxidizes more nutrients than even chewing with your mouth open!

3. Juicing can be cumbersome. It doesn't take as much energy to juice as it does to cook when it comes to cleaning the mess afterwards, but when you compare the effort to eating an apple, it is cumbersome.

If you can afford a juicer, then by all means, buy a juicer. However if you are doing raw on a budget, the first appliance to buy is a blender, which you can buy new at hardware stores or appliance stores for $20. A cheap new juicer is going to cost you $100, and a great juicer can go from $400 to $2000 for a Norwalk.

I like an occasional glass of juice, and when I want one, I go to the juice bar and get one. However, as a means of getting my daily nutrition, it is expensive to buy that volume of produce for the amount of nutrition it gives, plus it costs a lot just to buy the equipment.

Date: April 24, 2006 07:21AM

Fiber is overrated. As raw food vegans, our need for fiber is very low.

If you are eating foods with no fiber such as meat, dairy, bread, pasta, etc... Then you will need to eat extra fiber.

If you are only eating high fiber foods such as vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds, then you can eat one or two meals a day with fiber, and two meals a day of juice, and you will have a perfectly healthy digestive track.

We are eating more than enough fiber with raw vegan foods. There is nothing wrong with drinking a couple glasses of juice.

Juice is one the most important foods, and juice fasting is one of the best things you can do to improve your health.

Read books by the expert healers and they will all tell you how important juicing is.

The following raw vegans all agree that juice is an essential ingredient for great health:

Dr. Ann Wigmore, Dr. Flora, Dr. Richard Schulze, Dr. Norman Walker, Brian Clement, Peter Ragnar, Dr. David Jubb, Dr. Gabriel Cousens, Jay "The Juiceman" Kordich, David Wolfe, Viktoras Kulvinskas, Jack LaLaine, Paavo Airola, The Creative Health Institute, George Malkmus, The Gerson Institute, the Optimum Health Institute, Hippocrates Health Institute, Hallelujah Acres, and the list goes on.

I drink green juices every day and I love my juicer!

I usually juice greens and veggies such as wheatgrass, sunflower green sprouts, leafy greens, celery, cucumber, and carrot.

Juice Fasting
Date: April 24, 2006 07:34AM

One of my favorite articles is

JUICE-FASTING: The powerful healing therapy

by Dr. Richard Schulze

Read it at:

==> [www.TheRawDiet.com]

Dr. Schulze writes:

"When you don't feel well, stop eating and go to juices."

...People have said to me, "What do I do for this particular disease?" Juice fasting. "What do I do for degeneration?" Juice fasting. "What do I do for heart disease?" Juice fasting.

Juice fasting is for the incurables. Juice fasting is the answer, because it allows your body to rest - and it lets your body choose what it wants to heal.

If you just keep cramming food down your mouth, you'll just get more tired....

BISER: What does juice fasting do?

SCHULZE: Food has nutrition in it, but it takes a lot to break those nutrients down.

Juices are like a blood transfusion.

A glass of fruit and vegetable juice takes very little digestion, if any. It goes right into your body. We look at juices in the same way a doctor would look at an I.V It's something that can go right into your bloodstream....

Man cures his colon cancer by juice-fasting....

...Juice fasting, through my experience and his, is more powerful than just water fasting. Juices not only fill you with nutrition - but they empty you out.

Juices are flushing and cleansing to organs of the body.

Juices are enzyme therapy. Juices contain gigantic amounts of enzymes. And a lot of people nowadays are taking enzymes because of the benefits, but you don't have to, they're in the juices....

To continue reading visit

==> [www.TheRawDiet.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2006 07:37AM by Mike.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 24, 2006 09:40AM

Let's see, these people are basically saying that

1) juicing is bad for you
2) you are wasting your money
3) we do not do things against our conscience

and yet they are selling TWENTY ONE juice machines?

if they feel it is a waste of money
that one could be a lot better off just blending them
isn't what they are doing going against their good conscience?

why don't they just not sell any juice machines AT ALL?
sure, the person claims that watermelon and pineapple juice is nice to have
but if their motto is to not cut any corners
and be the creme de la creme of conscientious business entrepreneurs , so much so that they keep asserting " we don't need your money" and to go to businesses that actually "need your money"

it seems to me that they are doing the very opposite of what their conscience is telling them and THAT , to me, seems a bit crazy

a business that repeatedly tells someone " we don't need your money" actually sounds very arrogant to me
it is implying that businesses that actually DO need your money are somehow
a couple of notches beneath their version of moral standards

and if they really DON'T need your money
why do they have this business selling TWENTY ONE juicers, to begin with?

they must either have a
1) LOT of time on their hands to be selling things they don't believe in or
2) extremely rich and simultaneously UNBELIEVABLY bored to be spending their time selling you stuff if they really don't need your business at all and don't even believe in their juicing products
These people are saying they don't believe one iota in juicing. They feel it is an incredibly inferior way to attain nutrients and that it is somehow even adversely affecting the human condition and yet they are SELLING it? Is it my imagination, or does someone else see something a bit skewed in this picture?

Posted by: blissmummy ()
Date: April 24, 2006 11:51AM

Another perspective is that juice is great medecine, but shouldn't be your main food source in general. In the past, I've noticed that I've started to feel off-balance when I drink a lot of juice; however, there's nothing like fresh veggie juice when I need some good medecine...
I've also heard to juice veggies and eat fruits (veggies harder work for the body, fruits have good fiber and their juice can be too sugary.) Orange juice, for example, will really stir up your toxins, but without a way of getting rid of the toxins, it can actually be harmful to your body to have them all stirred up.
I'm breastfeeding a 6-month-old babe right now and transitioning back to all(?) raw. I'm experiencing detox and trying to slow it down now by avoiding juice, as I feel all these toxins in me that aren't coming out very fast, but I don't know, maybe juicing is the answer, just to duck my head and go for it? this comes from the quote "juicing is like a blood transfusion"...I just don't want my baby to suffer from my detoxing...

Adrienne

Posted by: singinraw ()
Date: April 24, 2006 12:03PM

I agree with Mike

Posted by: dream earth ()
Date: April 24, 2006 05:19PM

Raw Food advantage is a distributor, not a store; that is why they don't need your money. They are independant of the random consumer. Furthermore, they are not rich nor are they just 'bored people.' I've personally purchased from them; and they gave me the lowest price imaginable as well as spent a long time talking about things. They even give people discounts if they will give some of their time to someone else and answer questions and give support to strangers over the phone about the raw food diet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2006 05:26PM by dream earth.

Date: April 25, 2006 03:37AM

oh..and by the way.. you mentioned Pomigranite juice is really high in anti-oxidants...
I doubt that most people blend the ENTIRE pomegranate. The phytochemicals are in the white part. You are foolish if you think by drinking the juice that you are helping yourself. you are throwing out the seeds and the white part.. all you get is sugar and vitamins.

so.. stop relying on books and others for your heath. Listen to yourself if you can. No company is going to tell me their product is good when I know its not. It's nice to know that I have talked to employees who use to work at a manufacturing plant and they would laugh at all the people who think they are actually doing something good for their bodies. I know the truths and just about all the scamns about nutrition.. No one is going to scam me into believing something that is not true.

Date: April 25, 2006 03:42AM

Oh.. I almost forgot something..
Everyone is drinking WHEATGRASS JUICE.... YEA.. It's good.. but people with low blood pressure should stay as far away from wheatgrass juice as possible.. You will not read this from books whose authors or stores sell wheatgrass juicers.. There are other reasons not to drink it but I won't go any further.

I will throw another food at you.. Bananas..
THESE ARE ON THE OP OF THE LIST TO AVOID. They create dampness in the body and geared towards people who live in very hot climates. I doubt you will find the books that I have in health food stores because people wouldn't shop their anymore or buy the stuff they ususally buy.. It would hurt their sales if people knew the truth. So...keep seeking your info where you are comfortable and you will keep getting the same information.

Date: April 25, 2006 06:23AM

Can you site some reference/sources on this stuff, like bananas bad, or why people with low blood pressure shouldn't drink wheatgrass? Or where you found this information?

As for dampness, a normal human body is 60%+ water, hard to get much damper than that.

I agree with "Listen to yourself if you can.", but as for the rest, well I'll take your advice and NOT reply on others for health information (especially if the information comes without references).

Ian.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 25, 2006 07:09AM

I personally don't see the advantage of juicing over eating the foods that you plan to juice (except for wheatgrass, which is not food for humans).

It definitely cost most to juice greens that it does to eat them. Same with fruit.

If a person on the raw food diet is feeling sick, most of them can feel better simply by not eating any fat for a few days, rather than juice fasting. Even better than a fat free diet for a few days is water fasting for a few days. Plus water is a lot cheaper than the tons of produce it takes to make juice.

While I'm not crazy about juicing, getting a Champion juicer so you can make frozen banana soft ice cream is a worthwhile investment smiling smiley

Banana juice rocks!

Date: April 25, 2006 01:03PM

ok.. ONE book that those who sell equipment won't sell is the book on Qigong.com
Do your research on the guy who wrote the book also.
I have the book also.

Also.. I am glad some people like RawfoodAdvantage.com... I just dont understant why one person loves the site and the next person absolutely hates the site and wouldn't buy from it if they were selling blenders for a penny.

Which one are you?

Date: April 25, 2006 04:14PM

I really like Qigong.com, thanks for the link.

I don't like RawfoodAdvantage.com.

The difference to me is that qigong.com presents the information they have in a more factual way and suggests ways to incorperate the benifits of this information into your life style. Rawfoodadvantage.com presents the information in a very dogmatic, alarmist and hokey-faith based way, telling people how their lifestyle should be lived and that they will do everything in there power to force you to life that way (e.g. not selling people juicers if they think they shouldn't have one).

Personally we could do with less RawfoodAdvantage.com types, since they just serve to create dogma and stigma around raw food, but we could do with more like qigong.com who present information people need in a nice friendly encouraging way.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: chickory ()
Date: April 25, 2006 07:24PM

Hi,
I don't juice or blend so I can utilize the digestive enzymes in saliva mixes with food during the process of chewing. For wheatgrass, I chew the grass and spit out the bolus.
Chickory

Date: April 25, 2006 11:37PM

I don't hardly ever juice greens anymore -- don't want to waste a drop! Instead I juice the other stuff (carrots, celery, beets, onion, garlic, etc.) and then pour the juice into a blender with some greens and blend it up, then drink!

Popeye would be SO envious. winking smiley winking smiley

Date: April 26, 2006 04:31AM

weeeellll, i'm with Bryan & chickory on this one,
& for me, in any case, it is not mental, but physical...
i mean out of necessity,
or doing it instinctively....
what i mean (& i mentioned this already in few other places on this board) is that green (mixed leafy vegies + fruits) juices & smoothies don't really work for my system...or at least they don't make my bowels as happy & well performing as the good old mouth/teeth/saliva/chewing system ....with eaten raw meals there is absolutly not problem, just the opposite, while with juices & smoothies, ....
welll...my bowels slow down...& their elimination i would grade with C-....
sooooo
that's this, nearly 3 & 1/2 year old raw foodist story..
LOOOOVE,
Namaste, Basia

Date: April 27, 2006 02:43AM

How can a store feel ethical selling a juicer to someone when they know its not best for them. I know stores need to make money but thats no excuse at someones health expense.

Lets just say you owned a raw foods store and a customer came in every day to buy raw cacao and ate so much that he or she got sick.. would you sell it to him no matter what the price they would pay?

Date: April 27, 2006 06:16AM

Too much nannying! The store should feel free to give advice if they know it's accurate and factual, but I don't like the idea of other people making my decisions for me, especially against my will! What next, outlaw certain foods that might make people sick/unhappy/unhealthy?

As far as ethics, those are different for every person. Your ethics are very different from mine, so their isn't a lot in answering you question. But I will say that health stores should help people live a healthier life by providing the tools they need. So somebody decides that they want to make there own OJ rather than buy processed/sweetend OJ from the store, and this health store refuses to sell it to them and deny this person the chance to live healthier. Is that ethical? I think it's just ego/power-trip.

Or, somebody is addicted to chocolate, but wants to be healthier, so they switch to raw cacao and eat a lot, then you refuse to sell them any more, so they go back to sugary hershey's. Did you really help them? I fit this situation, or at least I did when I turned raw, and if somebody like you had of had the power to interfere in my life and stop me eating as much raw cacao as I want, I wouldn't be 100% raw now....

There is nothing wrong with juicing if you are eating a balanced diet. Juicing does not make food poisonous, it only removes somethings that can be consider healthy, or even a requirement for a healthy diet. But you can still get these things from whole foods even if you drink juice. But come on, even if it's not ideal, a 100% juice diet is far more healthy than a 100% fast food diet.

A better approach would be for the health store to explain to them that it would be healthier to juice a few things, then put the juice in the blender with some whole foods to make a smoothy. Then they get to sell the juicer and a blender as side effect (good for staying in business), without preventing somebody from living better.

This dogmatic "I know best and I'm going to force you to do what I think is best" attitude is not good for promoting a raw vegan diet. Have you noticed many people on the SAD diet view vegans as people who are going to criticize their diet if they eat meat in front of them. This attitude that is taken up by a few out spoken vegans is doing far more harm than good.

Help people be healthier, don't stop them from trying to be healthier.

Ian.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 27, 2006 06:55AM

wow,
this must be how mind sounds like on any given day
ping pong ping pong ping pong
the eyes rolling back and forth seeing the ball go to the different side of the court and back again

good workout though

at least for my eyeballs

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables