Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

glorious 50 ...
Posted by: koyo06 ()
Date: April 22, 2006 12:03AM

This raw food world is a fascinating thing...A real challenge to our mind and body.
I'm wandering how many here are over fifty, as me, what are your particuliar experiences relating to reversal of aging through rawfoodism ?

I'm rawfoodist since only a few weeks...I would be grateful to hear from all of you, how do you feel physically and emotionnaly,spiritually, how do you manage your social life apart from the main flow of other people with SAD diet ? How long did it take to you to fell detox and great ? in a nut shell, how do you live your life...

thank you to share with me. I live in Quebec. Probably one of the few here to believe in this way of living as nobody around knows about it.

wishing the best to all of you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: glorious 50 ...
Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: April 22, 2006 01:09AM

im 50 years and 16 days!!!
90% raw for many years.....
when i shifted the raw from mostly fruit to mostly green

everything
got alot better....

spiritual, physical, mental

the social is still a mystery.

congratulations on giving yourself the raw life at 50!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 22, 2006 01:49AM

I'm 57 and have been 80% - 90% raw for four years. Boundless energy seems to be the main feature. Healthy. Very few grey hairs. People do not usually think I'm 57. The raw lifestyle creates balance for me physically, emotionally and spiritually. On the rare occasion when I have dropped lower than 80% I notice an immediate fatigue, moody feelings, tightness in the joints. I do not enjoy these feelings. They act to keep me on the straight and narrow. A large part of my diet is green with smoothies and salads. I grind up seeds and include them in the smoothies. .....Regarding my social life. I try to work around it, draw as little attention as possible. I live in London, Ontario, Canada, where few people have heard of raw food eating. However, I have observed that as people grow older they start taking a more serious look at what they are eating. Many begin to modify their diets in different ways in an effort to support their health. So although raw food may not be their choice, they understand more easily another person's effort to adjust their eating habits to improve their health. It does not dismiss the fact however, that when you dine out, you are limited in your food choices, while your companion(s) seem overwhelmed by their choices.////In summary, I think if you are strong in your personal convictions, without flaunting it to other's discomfort, they silently respect the way you choose to live your life. Take care of you. Mari

I'm 57 and having the same experience as fruitgirl.
Posted by: Piano Gal ()
Date: April 22, 2006 12:17PM

Changing from a high fruit diet to mostly greens, nuts and seeds and coconut has made all the difference in the world. A lot of water with Celtic Sea salt seems to be the second great miracle - dissolving patchy places on skin, making it softer, and body slimmer.

Posted by: Mona ()
Date: April 22, 2006 01:49PM

I just turned 53 and am getting over a three week illness. It was very cleansing, but I'm not completely over it. The thing is, I was 100% raw for two weeks before I got ill, so I think my body was doing some heavy house cleaning. I feel better and have more energy except for the coughing. I've been raw for two years now, usually between 70%-100%. Every time I try to eat like I used to I get all kinds of awful symptoms which were the reasons I went raw in the first place. I can never go back to eating cooked.

People tell me they think I'm forty-something which is nice to hear. I'm really thin so a lot of people tell me I'm under weight. I would never dream to tell anyone they were over weight so I don't understand why it's ok to tell someone they are under weight. I'm still almost 100% raw. I had some nori rolls the other day and I know the nori wasn't raw but I can't get raw nori where I live.

Spiritually, I feel good, better than I have in years. I don't know if that has to do with being raw or being in AA and Al Anon. It could be a combination of all three.

Most of my friends don't know how to feed me. I usually bring a salad to share when I go to a friend's house for dinner. I have one friend who puts out sprouts and cauliflower for me. But I don't like either of them, so it's really hard to eat. I prefer to eat at home, then I know exactly what I'm getting. At functions I usually don't eat, but talk to my friends.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck on your journey.

Mona

So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key.

Date: April 24, 2006 02:23PM

Thank you so much for letting me know your feeling and personnal glimpse of your life. At different ages, reactions to diet are not the same. I read a lot on this forum and not much is found relating to this factor (age) which is primordial. I have been eating mostly fruit - so thanks for the commentary on greens and celtic salt. I would be glad to know more about this.

with affection and gratefullness to all of you -

Re: I'm 57 and having the same experience as fruitgirl.
Date: April 24, 2006 02:35PM

Hi Piano Gal,

At first sight, I thougt a diet with lot of fruits (mostly) would be best. Please let me know the differences you observe in you when you shift to mostly greens - and how you use the celtic salt and the effects -

again, thank you so much for sharing with me

( I'm french speaking so excuse for any writing error !!!)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 26, 2006 12:41AM

Mona, that happened to me the first time I went all raw after a couple months of 80% raw -- coughing and coughing for at least a month. Looking back I think I would have transitioned easier if I had been drinking more water. I wasn't drinking any water! At the time I cooked potato soup and ate that every day for a while just to stop the detox but that didn't work. Finally I had to get something to help me sleep because of exhaustion from coughing all the time and never being able to sleep. Once I was able to get rested I was better almost immediately and all the coughing gone!

Date: April 26, 2006 04:57AM

YESSSS, BEING OVER 50 & RAW ISSSS GLORIUS!!!

i'm 56,
100%raw vegan for almost 3.5 years
- a bit too slim too, buuut, if that's the price to pay for all the BLESSINGS that come from being raw then i'm happy
- i feel very good/a lot better than before, when cooked....
- still going through detox, off & on, after sooo many years of cooked, + few surgeries, mercury fillings, different odd 'medications' etc....& i figure it might take ~5-7years, to be over the mail detox/healing....though...
i'm noticing lately, that from the beginning of the fourth year raw, i started feeling different/even better...as if over a major hurdle, so...there must have been some major healing that finally clicked in....or is it the 3 raw years + many short odd water fasts + 4+days of green juice fast??? maybe...
- yes, i'm also more at peace/spiritual/centered, than before
- just like some of U, for me too it's better/easier to bring my own food, or a big salad, if i want to have a good food at somebody's, so yes, i too preffer to eat at home, or with others from the raw clan...of which there's not many where i am, ...but there r some, with pot-lucks, an hour away...which is not so bad....
sooooooo...once in a blue moon/when the time is right/not too often...i reward myself & attend those
- i'm in Vancouver BC area, & live with a cooked 'significan other', which rubbs slowly off on him, so by now he's ~75-85% raw, though not vegan....but that's his path...
BLESSINGS TO U, & A LOT OF RAW BLISS,
Namaste,Basia

Bonjour Koyo! Ca Va?
Date: April 26, 2006 06:58PM

Tu est en France?

You asked about the differences between green and fruit:

When I was eating fruit I was hungry ALL the time. I felt very spacey, particularly in the middle of the afternoon. Emotionally I was not as stable as I felt I should be. I felt a great deal of sadness. I cried a lot.

When I switched to greens, oils, avocado's, cocnuts, nuts, vegetables, that all changed. I feel satisfied after I eat. I am not hungry all the time. My energy is stable, as are my emotions. My thinking process is clearer.

I've only been doing this for 7 weeks, but I doubt I'll ever go back to a high fruit diet (I love the taste of it, but it is very unbalancing to me). Gabriel Cousen's Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine was VERY helpful to me in this process. He explained reasons for the various problems I was having. It made sense and I'm finding his solution works for me.

Some people do very well on high fruit. How wonderful! I don't. You will have to find your own way.

With the Celtic Salt in water, my body has suddenly started slimming. As well, my skin is softer and I feel even steadier. I think it REALLY helps mineralize the body. Just my sensing. but something in the mineralized (salted) water my body loves. And it didn't happen just using refined sea salt or shoyu.

I feel very grateful that I have discovered these two approaches to raw food. They have made it work for me.

Bonne Chance, Koyo!

La Femme du Piano

Date: April 26, 2006 07:04PM

I read you , Basia, realizing how it's funny that the same thing is happening to my children ( 12 and 14 !!!), they are becoming more and more raw without even knowing ...tasting the green smoothies with delight ...

Re: Bonjour Koyo! Ca Va?
Posted by: cleanjan ()
Date: April 27, 2006 01:14AM

Hi! I keep reading about Celtic sea salt. How much salt to water? This is salt crystals that I've seen in stores , yes? Thanks, Jan

Yes...the crystals.....
Date: April 27, 2006 04:12AM

got to www.watercure.com, and www.watercure2.com

1/2 teaspoon to about 40 oz water, twice a day.

Date: April 27, 2006 06:48PM

weeeeeeeeell
re.adding salt to water
i've tried it
&&&&&
first morning my body liked it,
same afternoon
going by instinct
it didn't like/want it anymore...
still i tried it for the rest of the day
the next day
i've noticed
body odor
which i get ONLY
when consuming salt in vegan dishes at occasional(v.seldom) potluck..
sooooo
in my mind
this DOES NOT AGREE WITH MY STYSTEM
what do U think?
LOVE
Namaste, Basia

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: April 27, 2006 07:02PM

Could the body odor you notice be a side effect of the salt drawing out toxins and other bad things in your body?

I wise man once told me, avoid bathing after a heavy workout, let the sweat dry on your skin and the salt will draw out the toxins in your body.

Ian.

That's fascinating, Basia.....
Date: April 27, 2006 08:54PM

Not my experience at all. My body is liking it. So far. Still smell sweet. I'll be interested to keep tabs on it over time. It's lovely that there are a few of us over 50's here. I so appreciate that.

Love,

PG

Re: Yes...the crystals.....
Posted by: cleanjan ()
Date: April 27, 2006 11:54PM

Thank you so much, piano gal. I'm 51, and love this forum! jan

Posted by: deeds ()
Date: April 28, 2006 05:28AM

i'm no way near my fifties

but i ordered some celtic sea salt to see how my cells respond to the watercure

thanks to piano gal's promoting

looking forward to fifty years of experience though

smiling smiley

Re: Bonjour Koyo! Ca Va?
Date: April 29, 2006 06:06AM

Je suis au Québec (province), near Montreal...et je vais bien - I appreciate very much this forum - anyone from Canada or Quebec ? let me know or write to koyo06@hotmail.com for sharing

it feels good indeed to know that a few here are over 50 - overall, the experience of everyone of any age is very, very precious -

I do realize for myself, though, that it is much more difficult to be less than 100% than to go for the complete thing. So I stick to 100%. It seems to me that any cooked food fuels the cravings, either salty or sweets whereas the most simple food, unprepared and naturel, satisfy deeply body and soul.

koyo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables