Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Shazzie, a raw mother, and her caffeine intake during pregnancy
Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: September 22, 2007 08:18AM

I wonder what shazzie, as a mother, thinks of ingesting so much caffeine from raw chocolate while she is pregnant. I think I am pregnant now, and I am quitting caffeine because of it. I have read, even on non-raw sites that pregnant mothers should stop drinking coffee and tea as the caffeine could harm the child. Isn't there supposed to be much more caffeine in raw chocolate? I thought I remembered David Wolfe saying this once.

Any opinions on this?
xxpeisi

~I've tasted of the fruit,
it's opened up my eyes...~
-Infected Mushroom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shazzie, a raw mother, and her caffeine intake during pregnancy
Posted by: greenie ()
Date: September 22, 2007 01:24PM

Peisinoe,

I think you are very wise and your child is lucky that you have quit caffeine, raw or not. And congratulations!

Posted by: diamond dave ()
Date: September 22, 2007 01:53PM

As a father of two I also send out a huge congratulations!!! Excellent news.

Although I have no scientific data to share I just believe intuitively that caffeine can't be "good" for the body - especially a pregnant Mom. I stopped drinking coffee (which I loved....) years ago along with soda of any kind. Recently due to my cycling efforts I began to ingest way too much Monster Energy drink. That too has gone by the wayside and wheatgrass has taken its place. A much better choice in my opinion.

I'm happy to hear your news this lovely Saturday morning. My best to you and your S.O.!!!!!

Regards,

David

Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: September 22, 2007 02:43PM

Aww thanks guys!!

This is my first pregnancy, so I can't tell if I am overstressing what is best for the unborn baby or not.

I am so thankful that grapes are not harmful for babies because I eat about a pound of them a day, haha.

xxpeisi

~I've tasted of the fruit,
it's opened up my eyes...~
-Infected Mushroom

Date: September 22, 2007 03:25PM

Congrats,congrats, congrats, as a father I can tell you that your life will change for the better, even if it doesn't always feel like it, ha,ha....give your man a hug from me!

F1

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 22, 2007 04:54PM

Peisi I believe that if moms have caffeine during pregnancy and nursing, it passes to the babies and affects the way they behave and sets them up for cravings for stimlulants from then on, just as it does with anyone.

Much happiness on hearing your wonderful news!

Posted by: emilym ()
Date: September 22, 2007 06:00PM

Congrats, Peisi!!!

While not raw during my three pregnancies, I was toatally caffeine free, and I thinkk it is best for you and your baby.

How lucky your baby is to have a super-healthy mama.

Peace,
Robin

Posted by: rawveggiemom ()
Date: September 22, 2007 07:55PM

It is better to have no caffeine while pregnant. Also when you are breastfeeding it is a good idea not to have any. I made sure I was caffeine free with my pregnacies. Congratulations on your pregnacy!

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: September 22, 2007 08:46PM

Chocolate does not have caffeine in it but it does have a stimulant called theobromine. Here is an article that explains this [www.xocoatl.org].

It's probably still best to avoid it during pregnancy. Congrats!

Posted by: dream earth ()
Date: September 22, 2007 10:22PM

Back when I paid any attention to shazzie, I remember her writing that her raw diet of huge amounts of chocolate, maca, and fat "no longer worked" (and she wondered why) once she became pregnant, so I doubt she would recommend it to anyone else. I think raw chocolate is a recreational drug, and so just like cooked food people might give up drinking and drugs while pregnant, so chocolate should go out for the good of the baby.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2007 10:23PM by dream earth.

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: September 22, 2007 10:28PM

my first pregnancy turned me against caffeine really quickly. but in the second trimester, i could have small doses, and did, third trimester- no more.

this time around, i can have small amounts of cacao, but i don't really want it.

any other caffeine is just horrible.

cacao doesn't affect me as badly as coffee, so i'm not sure about David Wolfe's thing on coffee/cacao/caffeine. but avoiding stimulants is good.

young coconut milk, green juice (up to twice a day now) and other such deliciousness is SOOOO much better feeling than stimulants.

enjoy the ride! hope you're feeling well. 8-16 weeks can get kinda rocky-

peace-

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 22, 2007 11:23PM

I am NOT judging what moms do, but since I can look back and regret, I would like to say that:

Caffeine and stimulants are bad for babies during preg. and nursing. I had no coffee or alcohol during preg. but drank coffee while nursing. How strongly can I say I regret it.... ? ...not strongly enough. I was extremely unhappy and exhausted for several years after my children were born and I barely got through it. I didn't believe coffee was good to have in my milk, drinking it was strictly a coping mechanism. Now both of my kids drink coffee and I think I set them up for it. Guilt pangs hurt more as the years pass.

That's my experience.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: September 22, 2007 11:32PM

congrats to you!! as a mom to 2 i promise your life and your thoughts of life will change so much for the better.
patty

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 23, 2007 12:28AM

oh other coco, you are hurting yourself more with that guilt than you ever hurt your babies. let it go, they wouldn't be happy knowing you felt that way, would they?
we do the best with the tools that we have in the moment and are grateful when we discover better tools along the way. you are a great mama and a terrific person. love yourself woman! your kids are traversing their own karma, trust.
xo.

caffeine had no appeal to me during pregnancy but where i lived in BC was a Huge coffee drinking town and so many mamas drank their double espressos, lattes, and cappucinos while pregnant and with babe at breast. crazy, i thought, but no epidemic of tragic health there so far. i think it's all accumulative and the more good you do, the more good you've done.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: September 23, 2007 11:47PM

Good thinking Peisi, totally agree. Congratualtions!!!

Love,
Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables