Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Homemade Thor's Protien
Posted by: boyd ()
Date: September 24, 2007 01:39PM

Hey people!

I was thinking about this earlier today whilst at work and it made complete sence to me!

But first...

Im a guy who eats cooked food (pls dont boot me) BUT, i also eat LOADS of raw foods! By next year im pretty sure il go 100% Raw, just need to learn how to prepare more tasty recipes. I Love the feeling of being alive and vibrant, so probs a 100% diet is the only thing that can help me achieve that state.

Anyway...

I like to stay looking good and tonned, so i take whey powder and ALOT of Thor's Raw protein powder. Now, for those people in the UK who take Thor's, they know what im talking about when i say its expensive! (£30 for a tub, around $60) people in the US pay half what we pay.

Wondering if anyone has ever made their own? If so could they possibly give me tips on preparing it.. seeing as its raw and natural, im hoping it shouldnt be too difficult to perfect.

The guys who sell thors are probs gona hate me for posting this thread but i just kinda felt i had too, the cost of of Thor's in the UK is outragous!Being a studant, cant really afford to shell out all that money, but at the same time feel trapped as i love Thor's! hehe..

Thanks Guys grinning smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Homemade Thor's Protien
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 24, 2007 03:15PM

you would need a dehydrator but heres the ingredients you wuold have to play with the amounts

Ingredients: Brazil Nut Protein Powder, Hemp Protein powder, Maca, Goji Berry Powder, Mesquite Powder, Maca Extreme (all ingredients are raw, vegan and certified organic)

The ingredients in Raw Power! Protein Superfood Blend have been carefully selected and formulated to bring you a natural, balanced, nutrient-rich protein product.

Hemp Protein Powder is a natural protein powder, containing over 50% protein. Hemp Protein Powder is made from hemp seeds, which have the most complete edible and usable protein in the vegetable kingdom. This high-performance protein powder is easily digestible with 65% globulin edestin and 35% albumin protein - more than any other plant!

Brazil Nut Protein Powder contains nearly 50% protein and provides antioxidant benefits with its high selenium content. Traditionally, brazil nuts have been regarded as the most calorie-dense of all vegetarian foods.

Maca Powder is an ancient superfood that was consumed by Incan Warriors to increase strength and endurance. Native Peruvians have traditionally utilized this South American root since pre-Incan times for both nutritional and medicinal purposes. Maca is a wonderful source of natural vital nutrients.

Goji Berry Powder is a naturally-concentrated extract of what is considered by many to be the world's most nutrient-rich fruit - the goji berry (Lycium). Goji berries have been used in traditional Asian medicine for over 5,000 years. Much has been written about the health-promoting properties of this amazing fruit.

Mesquite Powder is a traditional Native American food produced by gathering ripened seed-pods from the mesquite tree and grinding them into a fine high-protein powder (approximately 20% protein). For centuries mesquite has been a source of nutrition for Native Americans and indigenous peoples in the arid regions of the earth.

Maca Extreme is the most potent form of maca in the world. It is produced by juicing freshly-harvested maca roots and then drying the juice at a low temperature into a fine powder. Once it is dried, the powder is sifted so only the finest particles make it through into the final product, which produces a high-nutrient powder.

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: September 24, 2007 03:39PM

Thor's may be raw but it's not natural or fresh or whole or rich in water.

To buy Thor's raw power protein = $4 per serving
11 grams protein

To make your own wouldn't be much cheaper since it contains high priced ingredients.

Fresh and Raw Protein Power alternative
11 grams protein

$1 per serving

1 head of cos
2 bananas

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: September 24, 2007 04:10PM

Make hemp milk with whole soaked hemp seeds - as hemp seeds are 25% protein, a 100g serving will give you 25g of protein.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: September 24, 2007 06:45PM

Yeh! you end up saving 2/3 per serving! Counts for alot, especialy when you take it everyday..

Jgunn, hey smiling smiley When you say for e.g Brazil Nut PROTEIN Powder, do you mean all the protein has been specialy extracted from the nut? I thought it was just the nuts, but finley powderd. Just sounds like the protein count would be too high. If it was just the protein that was derived, wouldnt a serving give you around 200 grams of protein instead of 23 or watevr it is?

Funky rob, will try making some tomorow perhaps, sounds very tasty! Reason i like the thors is bc it has heaps of diffrent nutriants from my favorite superfoods. Hemp milk on raw porridge sounds good tho tongue sticking out smiley

Date: September 24, 2007 07:49PM

as far as i know is just powdered brazil nut smiling smiley

essentially their just taking a bunch of *superfoods*.. dehyrating them mixing them up and calling it a protein powder mix

what the exact amounts are of each is anybodys guess .. the general rule of ingredients though is their listed in order of amounts so the powdered brazil nut would make up the bulk of the package and the maca root juice would be the lesser of all ingredients

smiling smiley

quite frankly i find it easier to eat a handful of hemp seeds once in awhile winking smiley

Date: September 24, 2007 09:55PM

Jgunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> as far as i know is just powdered brazil nut smiling smiley
>
> essentially their just taking a bunch of
> *superfoods*.. dehyrating them mixing them up and
> calling it a protein powder mix

No, when they say Brazil Nut Protein Powder or Hemp Protein powder, it is more than just ground up, the protein is somehow extracted. For example it says that hemp protein powder has 50% protein, whereas whole hemp seeds only have 25% protein. Brazil nuts have 14% protein but "Brazil Nut Protein Powder" also has 50% protein.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw

Date: September 24, 2007 10:41PM

lol i found a way of extracting protein but it sounds a bit frankenstine .. i still say stick with the living stuff tongue sticking out smiley lets hope they didnt use the method below to extract the protein huh? tongue sticking out smiley

For this experiment, we like to use green split peas. But there are lots of other DNA sources too, such as:
Spinach
Chicken liver
Strawberries
Broccoli
Certain sources of DNA should not be used, such as:
Your family pet, Fido the dog
Your little sister's big toe
Bugs you caught in the yard
Put in a blender:
1/2 cup of split peas (100ml)
1/8 teaspoon table salt (less than 1ml)
1 cup cold water (200ml)
Blend on high for 15 seconds.

The blender separates the pea cells from each other, so you now have a really thin pea-cell soup.
Pour your thin pea-cell soup through a strainer into another container (like a measuring cup).

Add 2 tablespoons liquid detergent (about 30ml) and swirl to mix.

Let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes.

Pour the mixture into test tubes or other small glass containers, each about 1/3 full.
Add a pinch of enzymes to each test tube and stir gently. Be careful! If you stir too hard, you'll break up the DNA, making it harder to see.

Use meat tenderizer for enzymes. If you can't find tenderizer, try using pineapple juice or contact lens cleaning solution.
Tilt your test tube and slowly pour rubbing alcohol (70-95% isopropyl or ethyl alcohol) into the tube down the side so that it forms a layer on top of the pea mixture. Pour until you have about the same amount of alcohol in the tube as pea mixture.

DNA will rise into the alcohol layer from the pea layer. You can use a wooden stick or other hook to draw the DNA into the alcohol.
Alcohol is less dense than water, so it floats on top. Since two separate layers are formed, all of the grease and the protein that we broke up in the first two steps and the DNA have to decide: "Hmmm...which layer should I go to?"

This is sort of like looking around the room for the most comfortable seat. Some will choose the couch, others might choose the rocking chair.

In this case, the protein and grease parts find the bottom, watery layer the most comfortable place, while the DNA prefers the top, alcohol layer.

DNA is a long, stringy molecule that likes to clump together.
Now that you've successfully extracted DNA from one source, you're ready to experiment further. Try these ideas or some of your own:

Experiment with other DNA sources. Which source gives you the most DNA? How can you compare them?

Experiment with different soaps and detergents. Do powdered soaps work as well as liquid detergents? How about shampoo or body scrub?

Experiment with leaving out or changing steps. We've told you that you need each step, but is this true? Find out for yourself. Try leaving out a step or changing how much of each ingredient you use.

Do only living organisms contain DNA? Try extracting DNA from things that you think might not have DNA.
Want to conduct more DNA extraction experiments? Try out different soaps and detergents. Do powdered soaps work as well as liquid detergents?

Supported by a Science Education Partnership Award (SEPA) [No. 1 R25 RR16291-01] from the National Center for Research Resources, a component of the National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services. The contents provided here are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of NCRR or NIH.

©2007 The University of Utah, Genetic Science Learning Center
15 North 2030 East, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112-5330, (801) 585-3470 Disclaimer v3.1

Date: September 24, 2007 11:39PM

ok i asked a friend who fancies himself of a bit of a mad chemist and he said simply extracting the oil from the nut and then washing away the starches (sugars) .. whats left is purified (not totally pure just purified) protein material .. you could then dry this and grind it

i guess the more you purify it the more protein per weight of material

what do ya think? smiling smiley

Date: September 25, 2007 09:07AM

Jgunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> he said simply extracting the
> oil from the nut and then washing away the
> starches (sugars) .. whats left is purified (not

That makes sense. Just a quick calculation with numbers from Nutritiondata.com

100g of brazil nuts
fat content 66g
protein content 14g

Extract the oil 100g-66g=33g remaining

The oil contains almost zero protein, so the 14g of protein is now in the 33g of solids, so as a percentage, the solids are now 41% protein. So without the next steps to purify it, your almost at Thors "nearly 50% protein".

You can buy oil extractors.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw

Date: September 26, 2007 04:00PM

grinning smiley All sounds good, currently looking in to buying all the eqiptment needed to make my own protein supplement, i rekon it'll be well worth it in the long run!

Thanks guys

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables