Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Salt/Iodine
Posted by: Faithfully10 ()
Date: September 30, 2007 11:38PM

What I bought are strips of kelp/nori.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tropical ()
Date: October 01, 2007 02:51AM

I'm glad you got nori, you'll have fun with it, they're those thin sheets like paper. I cut them into strips with a scissors about 1" wide and put something like a slice of tomato at one end and roll it up.

Karen Knowler has a video about it and she fills up a whole sheet at one time.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: October 02, 2007 03:59AM

After being in the ocean I feel cleansed, calm, and peaceful.

I totally believe that seawater contains healing properties.

I would love to learn more about this subject.

I also believe that what constitutes the best or most appropriate raw diet is still open for debate... "diet" is merely the tip of the iceberg, there's a whole consortium of ideas that lay beneath that deceptively simple statement. The simplicity is to listen to our own bodies.

I believe that any element which occurs naturally in nature can be eligible for consideration as being potentially beneficial to our health.

I really can't understand the numerous negative responses to Wallace's post, as she simply took the time to post about a possible alternative to traditional blood transfusion. If you got into an accident, are you really ok with receiving other peoples' blood? Or would you like to hear that maybe there's an alternative? Personally, my intuition has always regarded blood transfusion with some suspicion... just a gut feeling. So I'm really thankful to hear about this possible other method. I doubt it will gain acceptance even as a research subject anytime soon, but at least there's hope.

Anyone who lives in a coastal region knows how often people can be heard remarking upon the healing powers of the ocean... people are drawn to it. There's definitely something about it.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 02, 2007 04:04AM

i echo the what you say sunshine

but absorbing salts/sodium thru the epidermis i feel is entirely different then deliberatly injecting salts into the blood

im guessing our bodies would absorb the sodium and minerals as they needed from the salt water and then close the channels so to speak when they are done. forcibly forcing these salts into the system seems wrong somehow

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 30, 2007 11:19PM

I totally agree that bathing in the sea is a wonderful tonic and if anyone lives near the ocean..go for a dip often!

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 02, 2007 04:52AM

[en.wikipedia.org]

Salicornia, or glasswort is very high in sodium. This is one natural source of sodium, if you feel you need extra sodium, its worth giving it a try. This weekend I had some vegetarian korean food, I thought it tasted good, but they used so much sodium, and sugar...it made me sick. I asked if they used MSG, and the cook said he did not. But i think it was all the salt. I'm not used to consuming added salt. If you crave salt, I think foods naturally high in sodium is a prefered way to achieve it in your diet.

Goose-tongue
[www.nawwal.org]
Is very salty, and often grows in salt flats. I tried this years ago,and I just love it. I don't think its commericially available, and I have been on the look out for it to obtain some seeds to grow at home. Apparently however it can accumulate sorbitol under high sodium conditions.
[www.blackwell-synergy.com]

Sodium seems to be mentioned quite a number of times as being present in a number of fruits.
[www.fruitarian.com]
Strawberries are particularly mentioned as being rich in natural sodium. On offical U.S. government lists it seems to be considered 'sodium free'. Probably because people add so much salt that by comparision it doesn't have any?

This site seems to indicate that strawberries are a good source of natural sodium. There are some other sources which are also great. Vegetables seem to top fruit as far as sodium goes.
[www.denverspiritualcommunity.org]

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 02, 2007 05:12AM

Apples
I am suprised to find the following statement about apples:
"APPLES

Fresh: Potassium 36.9, Sodium 24.9, Phosphorus 13.6
Dried: Potassium 33.9, Sodium 35.9, Phosphorus 13.9

Although apples contain a considerably larger amount of potassium than of sodium, they are a sodium agent for the reason that very few foods contain the high percentage of sodium that apples do.
"
[www.denverspiritualcommunity.org]

again, most sources list apples as being a sodium free food.

The following webpage gives alot of info about sodium contents
[www.alsosalt.com]
Celeriac seems to be the highest in sodium for raw and vegan sources. Maybe I am overlooking some info. however it seems like eating some raw veggies would provide enough.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables