Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

green smoothies
Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: September 24, 2007 10:30PM

I have FINALLY upgraded to a Vitamix.Now I can start making green smoothies (I always used my juicer for greens). Does anyone know of any good green smoothie recipes? I am kinda clueless.

[minou-minou.blogspot.com]
myspace.com/summer33ny

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: green smoothies
Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: September 24, 2007 11:44PM

At the bottom of this article are some recipes for green smoothies.
[www.emaxhealth.com]

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: September 26, 2007 09:12AM

I've been doing the standard banana and kale one with pear juice which is beautifull smiling smiley
I've tried a few others with spinache and things which were prety good too, but kale has been tops so far.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: September 26, 2007 01:51PM

Our family fav is banana and spinach. Simply delish!

Posted by: boyd ()
Date: September 26, 2007 04:19PM

What do you guys think of my Green Smoothie? grinning smiley ...

Young coconut for the base followed by the meat
3 organic carrots
A whole large brocoli
Half a bag of fresh spinach
2 bananas
1 avacado
Tablespoon of maca
Tablespoon of spirulina

Delish!

It ends up filling my whole blender lol and usally lasts me 2 days..so what do you think? Good variety huh grinning smiley

Posted by: boyd ()
Date: September 26, 2007 04:19PM

I noticed that spinach turns everything green!

Posted by: greengrl ()
Date: September 26, 2007 05:40PM

fresh orange juice with turnip greens is awesome! my daughter and I love any greens mixed with fresh oj and berriessmiling smiley

Date: September 27, 2007 01:50PM

I love mango, banana, coconut pulp and lots of spinach. Comes out thick!

I used to use kale, but I really could not aquire a taste for kale at all!

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: September 27, 2007 03:11PM

Can I make a green smoothie and take it to work? It won't oxyidate will it? Or turn brown? I always thought things would lose their nutrients after a time.

Posted by: diamond dave ()
Date: September 27, 2007 03:24PM

Hi Dee!

Kale is my new favorite vegetable! Have you tried making a mostly fruit smoothie and adding a little bit of kale? I do that and never really taste the veggies at all.

I love adding baby spinach, romaine lettuce, celery, and kale (of course!). The only thing I tried that didn't work out for the better was broccoli. And I love raw broccoli! Will just be eating it by itself in future.

Keep experimenting Minou! That's half the fun, no?

My best,

David

Date: September 27, 2007 03:40PM

David,

When I first started with green smoothies I used fresh organic Kale, and would use only one leaf, I would even take the steam off. I would add my favorite fruit. I couldn't even drink the whole thing. When I read that spincah is alsmost as good as kale, I gave it a try and I loved it, and I know crave it all the time. Now I just love eating spincach plain, mmmmm.

At one time I tried not using kale in smoothies and put them in my salads, I felt like I was eating straw. I tried it in my raw soups, no can do. So I just stopped eating it and will try again in a few more months.

Dee

Posted by: diamond dave ()
Date: September 27, 2007 03:49PM

Dee,

No kale for you then if you ever come over for a green smoothie. I have lovely baby spinach on hand at all times. That's what we'll use!

My best to you,

David :-)

Posted by: Custom ()
Date: September 27, 2007 05:06PM

I've been reading about all the green smoothies.. and decided I wanted to try a few recipes...

They sound so yummy... But my local grocery doesn't sell spinach, kale or even fresh parsley. Yes I am rather limited to what I can find to buy...

I can only buy either iceberg lettuce or the gross chemical treating nasty lettuce in a bag. (which I won't buy) Because of this I've not gone organic yet as it is so hard to find it here in North Dakota.

The closest larger town is 90 miles away, so I must suffice to buy what i can here ...

Anyway I made a smoothie this morning with the following: banana, apple, 2 pears and 2 stalks of celery... It's so yummy!!

I have a question.. has anyone made green smoothies with cilantro?? if so what other fruits did you add... I can buy cilantro here in my little tiny grocery store..

Elayne

Posted by: veggieluv ()
Date: September 30, 2007 01:17PM

My favorite all time is banana, mango, spinach and flax seed. Very yummy. Tried kale once and it was horrible. Tried it again at a raw food restaurant and it was ok but the guy told me they have to put a lot of dates in it to tame the kale flavor, I know kale is sooo good for you but man it has a really strong taste. I don't mind it cooked but that defeats the purpose. If I don't have any spinach on hand I use romaine which is ok but seems to have more water in it thereby diluting the flavor and texture overall. I also have used a local green called moulakhia, I have no idea what it is in English, and that turned out good. I don't think cilantro would be good in a sweet smoothie but perhaps in a savory one. Although just the smell of cilantro makes me want to hurl but that's a personal prefernece lol.

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: September 30, 2007 01:28PM

Custom, I am no expert on this as I gathered the idea from others on this bulletin board but if you are using greens for smoothies, blended meals, juicing, etc you can keep them in the freezer. Just grab out a handful when you need. This way, when you are able to drive to the closest town you stock up on a bunch of good stuff and freeze it. My only experience has been with spinach but I imagine others will work as well. One word of caution though, if you use the spinach right out of the freezer with other "cold" items you will have something more like a frozen/ice cream smoothie. I accidentally did this with the spinach through my juicer with other semi-frozen fruit. It was kinda bad.

Veggieluv, A few months ago I would not have considered eating kale. However, I am purchasing it in bunches (green and red/purple) and eating it quickly. The more I have been incorporating green, the more I love the taste of it. I started trying some kale - just a little in a smoothie - and rather quickly I am eating it in salads as it is. I don't taste anything bitter and I don't add anything to mask the taste. The more you accustom your body to green I think the more you will find that you enjoy it. Kale is loaded with nutrients and worth adding to your diet.

Good luck.

Patty

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: September 30, 2007 02:09PM

Elayne,

I've visited North Dakota in the winter so I commiserate with you!

I use cilantro and parsley in my smoothies all the time. They are great. I love all the greens, by the way, kale included.

I live in Iowa and for a few winters I cold-framed -- that is, I grew veggies all winter, outside, under plastic. There are a lot of good books on the subject, the best is Elliot Coleman's 4 Season Harvest (http://tinyurl.com/3agkyf). You can do it cheaply, and some of the best and tastiest veggies will grow in your cold frame all through the cold months. Parsley, kale, collards, the cabbages, broccoli, turnips, arugula, many of the lettuces. It was great to go into my 'garden' in December and come out with a big bowl of fresh salad greens, a real treat not just to eat them, but to walk into a green garden in middle of those dark winters. I was able to harvest in all but the coldest 6 weeks of winter.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: October 01, 2007 09:50PM

greenie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I use cilantro and parsley in my smoothies all the
> time. They are great.

same here! parsley lasts a long time in the crisper so i have it as a staple and i can`t get enough of cilantro.

Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: October 01, 2007 10:27PM

Thanks for all your great suggestions!

I was given a great recipe from a friend with cancer.I have tried some other green smoothie recipes, but I didn't like any of them as much.

The one I made consisted of lettuce, kale, celery & cucumber mixed with coconut water, dried apricots, some blueberries, and a little mango and agave. I need lots of sweetness. I was able to drink the whole thing and actually really enjoyed it. I am not a fan of greens really so it is a big deal to me that I have found a way to consume them that I really enjoy!

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: October 01, 2007 10:48PM

berries (especially straw and rasp) hide any bitterness and bananas are a great addition....so i`ve found smiling smiley

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: October 02, 2007 02:09PM

Custom - cilantro is FANTASTIC with pineapple! I was really nervous about using cilantro in a smoothie but it's now one of my favorites! Pineapple, cilantro, and a bit of celery...mmmm...I also saw a recipe in the One Lucky Duck e-mail (oneluckyduck.com) for a smoothie that had pineapple, grapefruit, cilantro, mint, and cucumber, I think...see if you can find it anywhere. Good luck!

Posted by: bluejaunte ()
Date: October 02, 2007 08:02PM

I make really GREEN green smoothies with tons of kale and parsley, whole cuke, lots of clover & fenugreek sprouts .. and I've found that if you throw in one or two green d'Anjou pears, for some reason it really cuts the bitterness, much more effectively than loading it up with bananas. Other than the pears, the only fruit my smoothies get is a couple of frozen bananas .. cause it makes the texture oh so yummy .. and then the rest is dark dark greens. It works! And I'm pregnant, so I'm picky. winking smiley

Posted by: rankdurian ()
Date: October 03, 2007 12:03AM

I like to use:
4cups kale
4cups collards
1 banana
1 apple
4 dates
juice of 1 lemon
1tbsp of flax seed
7 ice cubes
1 cup of water

It's good stuff ... enough for two if you want to share. Start out on slow with the vitamix then jack it to high and plunge it down. It makes it much smoother and doesn't heat the smoothie if you hit it with high sooner than later.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables