Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

this is umm... HARD!
Posted by: veloria ()
Date: April 25, 2006 11:27AM

So I've been time and time again not to just "jump" into 100 percent raw. But that's what I want! And I don't really know how to ease myself into it.

It's either raw, or not raw.

Arg. It's sooo tough because I've been struggling for weeks now trying time and time again to get a 100 percent day in. I started my day out eating strawberries, and a strawberry smoothie. Boy, did that fill me up. But it wasn't a heavy feeling in my tummy, but more of a bloated feeling.

Then when that feeling wore off I had an apple and a banana. And then later I had some carrots. I felt like a pig eating so much, but even so, I still wasn't satisfied.

I was so sluggish too that I slept most of the afternoon away. When I woke up in the early night, I tried again to fill up on some carrots, and I had some raisins. It wasn't cutting it. I felt a void inside me. I don't know how to deal without heavy food. I needed some kind of bread I thought. I went out and had a tuna sandwich on wheat bread.

I'm not sure if was the tuna or what, but after I ate that I started to have sugar cravings. I was good all day with this, but suddenly I felt like I was going to go CRAZY if I didn't have a cookie or something. So I have a dessert.

My day = UNSUCCESSFUL!

I want to be 100 percent, but can't do it! It's sooo frustrating too! Finals are coming up in 4 weeks and I wanted to fully raw before then. (not start during finals cause that's just too rough. I wanted to be on a roll by then!)

So with this raw thing I would like advice on:
1. How do I mimic that heavy feeling in my tummy without turning to bread (bagels/sandwiches). Or do I have to get used to it or something. Before when I was raw, I would go on 2 day fasts and then eat raw. I kinda don't want to fast right now.
2. What's a good way to shake sugar cravings?

Keep in mind that I'm a college student, and weird foods/recipes aren't readily available.

Also, I have this thing with salad. I went salad crazy for 2 weeks and since then I haven't been able to eat them...

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE YOU HAVE TO GIVE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2006 11:32AM by veloria.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: this is umm... HARD!
Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: April 25, 2006 02:16PM

hey there,
I don't really understand what you mean - you say you feel like a pig after eating carrots and strawberries? How come? Do you mean that you felt bloated all day after eating these foods, but not satisfied?

I can relate to the feeling of wanting heaviness, I think you are probably craving some sort of fat. You also need more variety, it seems that it could be your mind that isn't satisfied, but thats okay, because you only ate a carrot? What if you grated the carrot and added lemon and seeds with some coldpressed (Extra Virgin) Olive oil? Your taste buds have to be stimulated!

Also really, really don't worry about being a 100% raw. I'm also all or nothing. But this time, because I really want raw to work (and it is) I am not telling myself what 'percentage' of raw I am. I say to myself I am high raw. And to begin, if I were you, I would eat lots! Anything you want, fruit, veg, nuts, seeds, sprouts!

A good way to shake sugar cravings is to simply not have sugar and to not indulge the thought. As soon as you think about it you must do something else quick! The more you think about it the worse it gets. Don't fret about eating fruit, fruit contains a different sugar than white sugar and it does not set off cravings. Bananas and nut butters will satisfy your sweet tooth as well as filling you up. If you freeze bananas they are quite sweet and tasty, like a ice-lolly.

To get that full up feeling you need to chew your food, a lot. Really chew until you have pulp in your mouth, this sets off the satisfied trigger in your brain. When you swallow too quickly the brain has not registered that food has been consumed - thats why you can eat a bag of sweets but only 1 carrot - crunchiness means fullness smiling smiley

I hope I have helped you somewhat, if you need to ask more you can email me if you like.
All the best, and good luck with your exams, with all the work you are doing I think you should enjoy your raw foods as well as other foods you like (in moderation, high raw is best).

Take care.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: April 25, 2006 03:18PM

It's easy to go raw when you have the food available. It just takes preparation.

To get that heavy feeling, try a nutmilk: soaked almonds, raw almond butter, water, and soaked dates blended up in a good blender. Add some raw cacoa nibs and/or carob or vanilla, or cinnamon. If you don't have dates, sweeten it with some maple syrup or agave nectar. Wow! I've made it without the raw almond butter and it's fine, the almond butter gives it a smoother richness. Believe me, this will fill you up.

In a pinch, you can just whiz up the almond butter and maple syrup in water.

I like putting a handful of greens in it, too, for added staying power. It sounds awful, but you don't taste it strongly and it feels great.

Here's another suggestion: Instead of eating just strawberries or one fruit at a time, make a big fruit salad with all the best fruits you can find. Include soaked dried fruits if you can't get fabulous fresh ones; like apricots, cherries, goji berries, etc. Anyhow, make that big old fruit salad and top it off with a diced avocado. If you don't have avocado, blend up some soaked cashews, mac or pine nuts, or almonds, sweetened with dates or maple syrup, all blended up into a sauce over the fruit salad. Again, if you don't have nuts on hand, make a sauce out of nut butter and maple syrup, agave, or dates. Believe me, this will fill you up.

It's the fat that makes for that heavy, satisfied feeling.

It's also a good idea to have a couple of raw treats in the fridge at all times: mock tuna salad (soaked sunflower seeds, onion, sprouts, garlic, a little lemon juice, celery. Process the seeds with a tablespoon or so of almond butter and the garlic until it's almost a paste, add chopped onion & celery, mix in the sprouts.), or raw veggie burgers, etc. Find a few of the savory dishes that have some substance to them and have a couple of those on hand. And then do the same for sweets. Have a raw apple pie in the fridge, or fudge, or other treats. There are tons of great recipes on this website.

Don't be afraid to eat whatever you want at any time. Eat apple pie for breakfast, as much as you want. After a few days or weeks, your body will adjust and you'll find yourself starting to eat more simply and crave things like cucumbers or other specific fruits and veggies.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: April 27, 2006 10:32PM

Also, I would like to add that just because 100% raw -> (leads to) success, does NOT necessarily mean NOT 100% raw -> NOT success (or "failure"winking smiley. You know what you want, and you are actively seeking ways to get it. That sounds like success brewing to me. Focus on what you want, focus on moving towards it, visualize how awesome it is going to be and how great you are going to feel, and how EFFORTLESS all of it will be. Notice your mistakes, and then become bored with them. And really enjoy your successes! High fives and boogying down, AUH YEAH!!!!

Take care,
Thomas

Posted by: DannyMacK ()
Date: April 28, 2006 04:37PM

Great advice.

"Become bored with your mistakes" - Thanks for that bit of wisdom.

There's lots of light in Thomas' lantern.

DannyMacK

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: April 29, 2006 02:03AM

Thanks DannyMack!

I would also like to add:

Everything is hard... until it is easy.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: April 30, 2006 07:08AM

I agree that the raw diet is hard. That is why the decision to go raw shouldn't be for light reason.

When I was 100% raw (I had to back off because I was detoxing too badly), I used to take a teaspoon of raw honey to fill the sugar craving. You could also use fruit such as dates.

I agree that to get the heavy feeling the nuts/nut milks work well. Also, one eventually adjust to feeling "light". I almost got to that point and have been work with my body to purify my diet since backing off. My body indicates to me when I have to eliminate a food due to no longer needing it. I will get a weak sensation rather than gaining strength after eating.

One nice thing about continuing the raw path is my eyes are changing colors but I'm pursuing raw for my health rather than esthetics.

Good luck.
Therese

Posted by: ariel ()
Date: May 01, 2006 03:32PM

hey veloria!

i hear you about not feeling full. i used to have that when i first started out raw. i'm not totally 100% but i've been on and off for awhile now. i just want to tell you that the feeling will eventually go away and you'll start becoming full on "light" foods. but to help you adjust to not feeling full, bananas, avocados, dates, carrots, apples, and nuts will definitely help. don't worry that most of the filling foods are "fat" foods when you start off. you'll eventually start to crave less and less fats, plus they're raw and a lot better than cooked fats. most raw fats are much easier to breakdown and thus, less fattening! when i first started out raw, i was eating mainly fat but still lost weight. so just eat whatever you crave, its amazing how listening to body will do the trick.

oh and something else you cna do to fill you up, blend A LOT of fruit together. i usually like to blend up 1 mango, 1 frozen banana, and almond milk with a couple dates. really feeling and will keep you energized. and don't be afraid to eat and eat and eat. once you get used to it, you'll eat less, trust me!!!

Posted by: deeds ()
Date: May 01, 2006 03:46PM

i usually blend a couple of fruits with an entire head of lettuce

that really fills me up

uhm yeah

lettuce

and lots of it

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 05, 2006 12:15PM

Hello veloria,

Im also trying to go raw, this morning when I sat in front of my computer and started to read your post, i thought "who's that... how come she knows exactly how I feel" then to realize im not going to school but have the same chalenge i also whant to go raw to loose weight (about 50 pounds), I want to desintox from that SAD life style because any diet won't work. I also feel i'm missing something even after eating a raw meal. All these reply's will realy help me going too, and greenie's nut milk with dates sounds great, i can't wait to try it.

I have been programing my mind for the past 2 weeks, I will soon jump in for good. I have been reading every post here in these last 2 weeks also.

The biggest issue for me is food preparation, I work "on call" I can leave any minute and this is very frustrating especialy when i'm working on a great salad and then have to leave... I always end up in one of those fast-descusting-foods place.

All to say, Good luck to you Veloria I wish you a great weight lost, and fabulus results in your exams

thanks to all of you for so much support

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables