Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Any tips for making Vegetable Kefir?
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: April 26, 2006 02:48AM

I want to try making Kefir using Cabbage. I bought a packet of Vegetable Kefir Starter from this site:
[www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com]

Instructions:

Place 2 cups of shredded cabbage into a blender with enough water to make a puree.

Add cultured vegetable starter to the puree and let sit for 15 minutes. (Starter will become active)

Place cabbage culture into jar or canister along with the rest of the green or red cabbage head cut into sections, and 1/2 cup or shredded hard root vegetables such as beets, carrot, daikon, sweet potatoes etc (optional). Pack down well with your fist. Leave about 2 inches of room on top for expansion. Seal jar with airtight lid and place in a room temperature darkened corner until fermented. This will be from 3 to 7 days…or perhaps longer. (Some have left it for as long as 14 days) A layer of harmless mold will often form on the top. Simply scrape this off and or it will spoil the flavor of your cultured vegetables. Place your vegetables into a airtight container and refrigerate. The fermentation process will continue, but very slowly. Over time they will “age” like wine does becoming softer and even more delicious. Refrigerated, cultured vegetables keep for up to eight months

Even after reading that I'm still a little confused.

- So I blend the cabbage into a puree. Ok.
- Then add the starter.. Do I just ADD the starter and let it sit there? or am I supposed to blend that too?
- How will I know when it's been out long enough and "fermented"
- How often does that mold show up and I'll have to scrape it
- How long should I leave it in the fridge before eating?
- What's it going to taste like? lol

Thanks for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any tips for making Vegetable Kefir?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 26, 2006 04:37PM

Cultured and Fermented cabbage is called sauerkraut. I recommend using these sauerkraut / pickle making jars to culture cabbage and vegetables:

[store.TheRawDiet.com]

It looks like you purchased the vegetable culture starter, which is different from the Kefir culture starter:
[www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com]

You can use kefir grains to make raw vegan kefir beverages such as almond milk and smoothies, or use it with nuts / seeds to make a vegan cheese / yogurt.

This site explains how to use kefir to make sauerkraut, which the author calls Kefir Kraut
[users.sa.chariot.net.au]

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables