Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What's your interpretation of "Fruitarianism"?
Date: April 29, 2006 04:41PM

What's your interpretation of "Fruitarianism"?

My interpretation of a Fruitarian is someone that simply loves eating fruits or whose diet prodominantly consists of fruits :headbob:

Over the years I've found that the concept of "Fruitarianism" has always come under fire and I got to admit, there's times when I can see why, I guess it's a very similar situation to the Raw foodist waxing lyrical to a SAD eater about the benefits of eating raw and the SAD eater wanting nothing to do with the thought of eating just raw foods at all, well I've seen the same thing happen when it comes to the Fruitarian waxing lyrical to the Raw foodists!

I honestly believe that we are all doing the same thing, it's just that people have different tastes and needs or simply want to do something different but essentially when it all comes down to it we are all Raw Vegans.

I think that there is a huge mis-conception when it comes to the word "Fruitarian".

From my own experience I think a lot of people have this idea that Fruitarianism is this God like Spiritual lifestyle that only the chosen ones can attain, I know this to be a load of rubbish but I know that is also what some so called "Fruitarians" would like to have you believe because I've seen it happen so many times over the years!!!

Personaly I don't care what anyone wants to call me and at the same time I'm proud to live a strict Fruitarian lifestyle because that's where I'm at in my life!! For years I fell for the whole Fruitarian Raw Foodist divide thing because it was all I knew but recently It's just not making sense anymore, to me as one of my forum members put it....Fruitarian = Fruit Lover!!

What's your take on it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's your interpretation of "Fruitarianism"?
Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: April 29, 2006 07:02PM

Hi friend!

For how long have u been a frugivore? smiling smiley

Date: April 29, 2006 07:28PM

Hi ya!

I was born a Fruitarian I just ate a lot of cooked food.....(smile..just kidding)

I've been doing this on and off for 11 years much more on than off though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2006 07:29PM by The Fruitarian One.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: April 30, 2006 07:01AM

Great! How long have you been a 100% fruitarian under your 11 years?

What do you eat when you're not 100%?

Why do you not eat 100% all the time?

What kind of fruits do you eat?

And is it you on the picture?

Love // Jacob

Date: April 30, 2006 04:27PM

I don't choose not to be 100% I used to really struggle getting off cooked foods so I would quit all the time that's what I mean by on and off.

When I used to quit I would just pig out on Vegan cooked foods.

I can only do 100% fruits mixing it up doesn't work for me.

I just eat fruits with seeds I wanna eat.

Yes it's me in the Picture.

If I was to add up all my raw years I would say about 9 years were 100%.

Posted by: reuben ()
Date: April 30, 2006 06:49PM

the old natural healing teacher we stayed with for awile said he'd seen people go all fruit and loose their teeth, (in hawaii, sweet/acid type fruit) I guess too much acid leached out the calcium.
I think all fruit would be ok if it includes a balance of non acid fruit.
Me? i love a good head of limestone lettuce.

Date: May 01, 2006 06:04PM

FRUITARIAN = RAW VEGAN THAT LOVES FRUITS.

My personal view on this is that there are people from all walks of life with different levels of enthusiasim and abilities when it comes to fitness and being active that come into Raw Veganism and eventualy feel drawn to eating a high fruit diet and I think that some problems occur because some people simply don't want to be active because they may not of been active when they ate cooked food and don't know any different.

I've found that it is vital for raw Vegans to pick an activity of their choice and get/stay active because as the saying goes...if you don't use it... you lose it!

Hence the "body eating itself stories" you always hear about.

For years people have gotten the idea that when you go raw you will automatically live forever [Eek!]

and then when a problem comes up they forget that they weren't always raw foodists [Roll Eyes]

Posted by: sabdulsamee ()
Date: May 01, 2006 10:03PM

Are there any fruitarian success stories?

I'm S. Abdul-Samee.

Date: May 01, 2006 11:50PM

Of course there is, I'm one of them for a start.

Also what do you mean by success what is your yard stick.

Everyone should be able to live the way they feel happiest and if that's what you mean by success then yes me and many others on my forum are success stories!

Posted by: Oneris ()
Date: May 03, 2006 09:59PM

The sugar in fruit breaks down into acid and is unhealthy/counterproductive.

vegetable > fruit > cooked > meat

Date: May 04, 2006 01:26PM

Then let's all go back to eating cooked foods!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 04, 2006 03:38PM

Why? He (she) said fruit was a step up from those.

Posted by: pdx kris ()
Date: May 04, 2006 06:00PM

I think it's really sad that the newest raw bandwagon so many people are jumping onto is the anti-fruit one. Why does there always have to be a new fad that people follow like sheep every six months?

I am not a fruitarian, but I do eat a large amount of fruit. It makes up my diet, with the addition of 12-20 ounces of green juices, until the early to mid afternoon at which point I drink another big glass of green juice and switch to vegetables and then for my last meal of the evening I eat a more complex meal with vegetables/various flavors/fat. My health is not suffering, my ph is consistenly alkaline, and I don't have all of these horrible side effects that Paul Nison and the "ph miracle" folks are trying to use to scare people away from fruit.

I've been eating this way consistenly for 3 years, with the first year done experimenting and finding out just exactly what worked for my body.

Date: May 04, 2006 06:32PM

Coolstuff!....PDX

Fruitarianism has always had a bad rap I have no idea why because if something doesn't work for you, simply try something else and move on, it seems like people really enjoy being anti-fruits, PDX, I think a lot of people eat the way you do and are very happy with it.

It's also funny how as soon as you mention "fruitarianism" no matter what the subject matter, it always turns into a fruits are bad for you thread!

Posted by: Oneris ()
Date: May 04, 2006 09:52PM

Ok, to answer your question: my interpretation of Fruitarianism is someone who eats only fruits.

I don't have a problem with fruit, but I would have a problem with someone eating 100% fruit(my interpretation, correct me if I'm wrong). It's not too bad if it's organic, but a genetically engineered Granny Smith apple now has 50 times more sugar than an organic one.

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: May 05, 2006 12:54AM

I don't have any problems with fruitarianism. In fact I wish it would work for me (just eating fruit would be totally awesome). How would it be to pick fruit through out the day and having a grand time eating it-enjoying them?

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: May 05, 2006 07:35AM

Since you asked, my interpretation of "fruitarianism" is eating only fruit. That would include of course foods like cucumbers, tomatoes, and avocados. Technically it should probably also include nuts and seeds.

If anyone who loves fruit is called a "fruitarian", wouldn't that be kind of like saying that anyone who loves vegetables is a vegetarian?

"Fruitarian", "raw foodist", "vegan", and "vegetarian" are words that are usually used to define a specific diet rather than a food preference. If anyone who loves fruit is called a "fruitarian", wouldn't you then have to make up a new word for someone who eats only fruit?

Personally, I love fruit and I thrive on it. I don't eat just fruit, but I have successfully maintained a strict 100% vegan (mostly raw food) diet for 20 years this October.

I pretty much all the time now eat raw food, with about 5 days out of 7 being only raw fruits, nuts, and seeds. The other 2 days a week I add a big raw salad with plenty of red leaf lettuce, cucumbers, green onions, arugula, and parsley (parsley's great) if I have all that; and I always add to my salad some raw wheat germ, cold pressed olive oil and lemon juice. Nothing fancy, but it tastes absolutely wonderful!

I don't know if people can live ONLY on fruit, but I do believe that fruit is a wonderful, glorious, healing, and healthy food. What could be more natural for a human, and what could be more healthy for the planet than gathering food from a tree?

Posted by: deeds ()
Date: May 05, 2006 10:49AM

i agree with ally

i love fruit
but i'm no "fruitarian"

i like the ideology though
it's a pretty thought

but hard and probably unhealthy to practise today, considering farming practises, depleted soil and our general treatment of the environment

unless you moved to some remote, unspoilt area on the planet of course..

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 05, 2006 05:17PM

David Mason here!

-I have eaten nothing but fruit for several years now....but that was a very GRADUAL transition - I assure you! Ha! Ha!

-In philosophy, I follow the Essene line....and think that any food where you are not consciously killing the plant.......is a good thing.

-I personally only eat actual fruits.....which are the seed bareing fruit of plants.....and not the leaves...nuts......or other parts.

-In other words....any part of the plant that it willingly drops every season to allow animals to carry it away and propogate that plant. That is what I eat.

-Of course, the most important thing is that the individual makes conscious choices about what he or she thinks is healthy....pursues those choices....experiements......reseraches....and then makes and informed decision for themselves....and carries it forward.

-Just my opinion(s). Have a great day!

-David Mason

Date: May 05, 2006 05:24PM

Hey Dave!

Hows it going?

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 05, 2006 10:09PM

-Real well TFO. Always good to talk with you.

-New Job....in Avon Park where I'm building my farm. I work for the Elected Board of officials that run the Career Placement Centers for the Tri-County area....so it's great that I can make a difference....and even better that I get 401K! Ha! ha!

-I'm building a regular house....well not TOO regular......instead of the Dome Home.....which proved too difficult to hire sub-contractors for after the latest round of hurricanes.

-Got enough stuff up and running - so it seems I can finally post again! Hooray! I always miss you guys.

-Maybe if we stick together and provide a good example...maybe people will believe it! Ha! ha!

-David Mason

Date: May 06, 2006 12:43AM

For sure!!

Glad to hear things are up and running for you!!!

Date: May 06, 2006 06:05PM

Dear Fruitarian One, When was the last time you ate anything besides fruit? And when was the last time you ate cooked vegan food? (just curious)

Date: May 06, 2006 06:28PM

The last time I ate cooked food was about two weeks ago when I quit raw veganism because I felt I was isolating myself from my family but that only lasted a week because I felt so bad and had lost all motivation to be active, all my old aches and pains came back and I felt so negative, I'm back on 100% fruits and feel so much better and active.

It was a good lesson because it taught me that it had nothing to do with diet at all, the problem was actually me and the way I was dealing with lifes stresses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2006 06:29PM by The Fruitarian One.

Date: May 06, 2006 07:31PM

I like that

Fruitarian = Raw Vegan That Loves Fruits

I think that is very simple and logical and delightful. winking smiley

Date: May 06, 2006 08:23PM

Dear Fruitarian One: Way to go! Honest answer. If you get too hungry on just fruit, I suggest you try to avoid the cooked if you can; just stay raw food vegan if that's possible. Throw a good portion of raw wheat germ on your salad. Either way, no shame!

I moved here to the Big Island 22 years ago to pursue my dream of becoming 100% fruitarian. My husband and I now have a 24 - acre diversified fruit and macadamia nut farm, certified organic. We're both vegans, 100% since 1986. I'm mostly fruitarian, but I don't try to be 100% fruitarian anymore. Still pursuing (and usually successfully) my goal to be 100% raw. My longest stretch total raw was 2 1/2 years.

About a month ago I tried some cooked organic sprouted whole grain spaghetti, with cooked vegetables. Couldn't handle it, but it sure tasted good! I learned something, and now I can scratch that off the list with all the other cooked foods.

I eat a raw green salad with raw wheat germ a couple of times a week, the rest of the time I just eat raw fruit, nuts, and seeds.

My goal is to come in first in the Honolulu marathon in my age category when I'm somewhere in my 90's. They'll ask me how I did it, and I will say, "RAW FOOD"!

Here's a kind of different suggestion for anyone who wants to stay raw (this has worked for me): If you're really craving cooked food and think you're about to cave, try soaking a bowl of raw organic quick oatmeat in water overnight. It's best to soak the oatmeal for at least 18 hours, and make sure the oatmeal is as fresh as possible. Eat that and whatever other raw foods you want for a day. After that, your craving will hopefully have passed.

Sorry to make this so long.

Date: May 06, 2006 11:06PM

Yeah ...I don't do well mixing it up!

I only made the choice to quit because of family reasons only to find out that it really wasn't the Fruitarianism it was me!

I'm lucky I've reached the point where I don't really crave cooked foods anymore and it takes me a long while to get hungry most days.

Good luck on the Marathon!!!!!

Date: May 12, 2006 12:30PM

This is from the Fruitarian World wide Network

There is a fast growing awareness, from millions of people worldwide, that there are much better and NATURAL ways to health than the conventional methods. Like all of us, you would probably be interested if there was a way to:
Enjoy superior health
Have amazing levels of energy
Truly enjoy life
Live without the cost of supplements and "potions"
You have within your reach the most precious jewel of true health — without which really NOTHING is of value. The key to superior health is found, very simply, in making a change in your lifestyle and diet, and move to the NATURAL, RAW, and UNCOOKED FOOD, as provided for you by Nature itself. Eating fruits and vegetables as most animals do in the wild. That simple!

What is the Fruitarian Raw Food Diet?
A typical Fruitarian eats and drinks:

Sweet Fruits: Oranges, bananas, apples, melons, grapes, papayas, berries, figs, dates, mangoes, etc.
Non Sweet Fruits: cucumbers, avocados, bell peppers, tomatoes, etc.
Vegetables: lettuces and other greens, celery, etc.
Nuts and Seeds: Sunflower and squash seeds, almonds, walnuts, soft coconut meat, etc.
Also: coconut water, juices, water, and other raw and living foods.
A Fruitarian doesn't eat:

Meat, dairy products, grain products, bread, pasta, rice, cakes, soft drinks, junk food, processed food and other cooked foods.
The Basis for Fruitarianism
Fruitarianism may appear to be a new and quite radical concept, while actually it is a revival from a very ancient way of eating, dating back millions of years. As you might imagine, our ancestors did not live on bread and processed foods, but rather on the vibrant fruits and vegetables that are available in Nature. In the early 1900's, a group called "Natural Hygienists" pioneered this revival. Natural Hygiene is a philosophy that teaches natural way of healing through diet, fasting and healthful, natural living. The Fruitarian Raw Food Diet is not a fad. Scientific proof is substantiated by intense research and studies on teeth of our earliest ancestors.

Also, according to our anatomy, our biology and physiology, we are actually "frugivores," or fruit eaters. Our whole body system is geared for the Fruitarian Raw Food Diet. Fresh, organic fruit is the most nutritionally complete food for humans, and is the best source of glucose, which is the body and brain's best fuel. Some of our Network members have been experiencing great level of health on the Fruitarian Raw Food Diet (which includes vegetables) for 5 to 50 years! Fruitarians experience superb mental clarity, physical strength and endurance, rejuvenation of youthful vitality, and renewed joy of living. Many have overcome all kinds of diseases via Fruitarianism, including all kinds of folks from children to college students to medical doctors to seniors. We are inspired to know that Leonardo da Vinci, Henry David Thoreau, and Mahatma Gandhi were mostly Fruitarians, or gearing towards that ideal, and that today there are several celebrities and professional athletes who are Raw Food Fruitarians, such as actor Woody Harrelson, singer Brian Adams and others.

The great, past Life Hygienist, T. C. Fry, wrote a beautiful essay titled: "Humans & Fruit: Symbiotic Partners In Life." Mr. Fry wrote:

"But the greatest wisdom of all, perhaps, was that which created the food package (fruit) to proportionately meet the precise needs of its eaters; those creatures who, in taking and becoming dependent on these foods, became the fruit plant's biological symbiont. That this method of seed distribution was successful is evidenced by the thousands of kinds of fruits created around the seeds in nature. Fruit attracts human senses in nature and are gourmet delights in their natural ripened state which ensures their survival. Also, fruit contains no poisons in the fresh ripened state, whereas almost all plants and seeds contain components which we cannot metabolize, hence are toxic directly or indirectly.....Fruits are the natural food of humans and the only food category ideally suited to all their faculties. This does not mean we should, in our present circumstances, eat fruit totally and exclusively, but it does mean that, in nature, that's all we ate as attested by Dr. Walker."

The Fruitarian Diet Ultimately Brings You and the Planet Great Health
A predominant Fruitarian Diet brings great benefits to our physical, mental and spiritual well being. The primary reason is that Fruit is a LIVE food! Fruit is laden with enzymes, and because of this it is already in partly pre-digested state. Fruit is ripened by the Sun and contains its energy. Fruit stays alive when picked. By eating fruit and scattering the seeds we do not destroy life — the seeds are ready for reproduction for the benefit of mankind and all other fruit-eaters in Nature!

Because a Fruitarian Raw Food Diet is very "cleansing," bringing about a detoxification and elimination process, you may well need guidance and direction. The Fruitarian Worldwide Network of combined knowledge and experience can help and support you on the Fruitarian Raw Food Path.

The Fruitarian Worldwide Community
The Fruitarian Worldwide Network brings like-minded people from all over the world together for mutual support and inspiration in the joys of Fruitarian Living. We invite you to join us on this joyous journey to a very beautiful, peaceful lifestyle of True Health on the Natural Fruit and Plant Foods from Nature!

Please enjoy browsing through our Network links. We wish you abundant health, and will love to meet you and share in the bounties of Life! :spin:

A lot of people say that they are Raw Vegan but not Fruitarian and that makes no sense at all. We all pretty much eat the same things.

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: September 13, 2006 07:46PM

seriously, hygieneguy, can you PLEASE stop adding the exact same message to every single post? We heard you the first 50 times!

Date: September 13, 2006 08:05PM

I am a success story. I started down the raw food path 30 years ago.
New Victor Kulvinskas, Ann Wigomore, Gypsy Boots and many others.

Realize that you have 12 bodies and your physical is only one of the 12. Food is far from being the only source of good health.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables