Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Memory, focus, and brainpower!
Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: October 17, 2007 08:14PM

I took a very important test today called the PSAT, and I am sure I failed horribly.
I could not focus or pull anything from my memory to help me through the test. For the past few months I have been gradually getting like this. I think it is because I need DHA and EPa , but maybe there are some other foods/ supplements that will help. Besides DHA and EPA, I am going to start taking flax everyday, but what flax would you recommend? Should I sprout my flax? Can i buy already milled flax like Barleans, or does the processing and storing of premilled flax lower the value of its essential oils? Also what other oils/ vitamins/ minerals help with memory and brain function?
One last question, and this may seem silly, but, is it possible, through diet and eating brainfoods, that the body can make new brain cells? haha, im just wondering if all things really are possible, if you put your mind to them :p
thanks everyone :]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Memory, focus, and brainpower!
Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: October 17, 2007 08:31PM

Relax. All that test does is measure your ability to fit your cog self into a pre-selected spot in The Machine. I know. I'm a high school teacher.

Some students do not do well on standardized tests. You can improve your performance on them by learning (1) the skills tested, and (2) test taking strategies. You may never feel comfortable responding "How high?" when The Man tells you to jump. But you can practice and improve your performance.

It's a game. You can improve your skills at the game.

I hated high school. I did very poorly. And I graduated phi beta kappa from one of the top schools in the country. I also graduated with highest honors from a prestigous graduate program.

Don't let your grades or standardized test performance hold you back.

Lee

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: October 17, 2007 08:32PM

the problem is not raw foods.
it's standardized testing.

maybe it's that youre more tuned into what interests you. the psats are not interesting.

dont throw out your ground flax...but it's cheaper and better to buy it whole once that batch is gone, and grind it yourself.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: October 17, 2007 08:38PM

In March I took the GRE, which is like the PSAT but for grad school, and I did really well. My secret was this: I studied like crazy for it for 3 weeks. I am sure that if I had taken it "cold" my score would have been at least 200 pts lower.

Get some recent PSAT study guides and study very intensely for 3 weeks. I got Barrons, Princeton Review, and Kaplan books. Memorize word lists and be sure that you know how to work out all the math problems, then take some timed tests online. You'll ace it next time. It's preparation that is key, not fish oil. Or omega3s even from plants.

And yes you will continue to lay down new brain cells throughout your life.

Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: October 17, 2007 09:03PM

Haha thanks everyone, your posts made me smile :]
I totally agree that big tests like the PSAT and FCAT and whatever else are complete bogus. And yes the fact that standard schooling totally bores the hell out of me may also be playing a large part in my zoneing out, but its not just happening in school. I can't focus when I read or sketch, and I love doing those things, but everytime I try I just can't focus.

I'll deffinately be adopting your philosophies on studying longer and not sweating it. I think I am going to get the ball rolling now so that I'm prepared for next year lol

Posted by: rainforest ()
Date: October 18, 2007 01:13PM

Try aerobic exercise. I don't own a car so I either walk or bike ride everywhere and I think this helps a lot in keeping me focused.

Read this:
Exercise Grows New Brain Cells
[www.livescience.com]

Posted by: allone01 ()
Date: October 18, 2007 05:59PM

the yoga asana called downward facing dog is great to re amp yourself and get blood flowing when your feeling spaced out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables