Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Advice needed please, weight loss stopped.
Posted by: Anna67 ()
Date: April 30, 2006 08:29AM

Hi and thanks in advance for reading this.
I have been playing at raw for 4 years or so, finally committed to 100% raw 3 weeks ago. Basically initially I am following a simple diet of:
BREAKFAST- OJ
MID MORNING - ALMOND MILK (from approx) 1 cup soaked almonds)
LUNCH - GREEN SALAD AND 1 SML/MED AVACADO
DINNER - GREEN JUICE
SNACKS - VEG, APPLES
A COUPLE OF BANANAS IF I AM JOGGING
APPROX 3 LITRES WATER

I lost 8lbs 1st in the 10 days, my weight has now stabilized at 156lbs and further weight loss eludes me. I need to lose another 15-20lbs.
Whilst I realize I may be being impatient, I keep reading about how most new Rawers have the weight drop off them, and wondered if my diet could be improved.
I am also hypothyroid and on thyroxine, which makes it difficult to lose weight. I exercise moderately with 30 mins to 1 hour jogging 3-4 xP/Wk.

Thank you, all advice appreciated,
Anna

www.therawlife.co.uk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advice needed please, weight loss stopped.
Posted by: chiquita ()
Date: April 30, 2006 05:36PM

To me your diet and exercise routine look very healthy and balanced. You could try dropping the fats - I just posted something about - and adding more watery fruits.

Good luck!
Claire

Date: April 30, 2006 07:25PM

Thank you Claire,

I had my suspiscions about my fat intake, as I just reintroduced them, and as well as the weight loss stopping, my liver/gallbladder areas started twinging. I guess I should return to lower fat intake and do a liver flush as I know I still have stones.

Thanks for your advice and time.
Regards Anna

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 30, 2006 09:42PM

Anna,

It looks like you diet is about 1500 calories, but about 900 of the calories are coming from fat. This makes your diet about 60% fat. The cup of almonds are 650 calories, the avocado is about 300 calories. You might try cutting out the almond milk and eat a half of an avocado rather than a whole one.

With this much fat in your diet, you will be taxing your liver, especially if it feels a bit fatty or sluggish. You might try having some days with no overt fats whatsoever. Eating more bananas will give you ample calories, as each banana is about 90 calories.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 01, 2006 02:15AM

I have been 100% raw for mostly the whole month of April, trying to lose weight and I am in the process of a liver cleanse. I have not lost one pound! Anoyone have any suggestions for speeding up the weight loss? I do notice less tightness in my body and I don't have as much belly bloat, but I am really disappointed about not having lost any pounds and I need to lose 25#. I

Posted by: chiquita ()
Date: May 01, 2006 10:55AM

If you have gall bladder and/or liver problems I would definitely suggest the no overt fat approach for a while (say 6 weeks). I got the advice to try no overt fats from a medical doctor and certified nutritionist at a clinic specialized in nutritional therapy (they knew i was vegan and at the time and i said i ate a lot of raw foods - actually i'm 100%). It really did wonders for me and my energy levels - weightloss was the added bonus (b/c at that point all i wanted was too feel better with or without extra weight). i am still steadily losing weight and very close to my ideal weight now. but i will also add that this same clinic advised me to steam my vegetables rather than eat them raw so as to aid digestion. i didn't follow that advice and chose to up my greens and eat less difficult to digest vegetables.

Date: May 01, 2006 11:17AM

Thank you so much for the advice. I will let you know the progress.
Regards Anna

Posted by: Oneris ()
Date: May 03, 2006 07:57PM

I would cut out the oj, bananas and apples, all high sugar items. The acid the sugar breaks down to is probably taxing your system and your body's resources are probably being diverted to eliminate that acid rather than eliminating the fat, which is easier to store than remove from your body.

Posted by: Alwaystriving ()
Date: May 05, 2006 04:24AM

Oneris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would cut out the oj, bananas and apples, all
> high sugar items. The acid the sugar breaks down
> to is probably taxing your system and your body's
> resources are probably being diverted to eliminate
> that acid rather than eliminating the fat, which
> is easier to store than remove from your body.

Are you saying that all the sugars should be cut out, in addition to most of the fat, other than half an avo? That will leave Green juices, salads and water.

Date: May 06, 2006 09:14AM

Thanks to all for your sensible advice, more is needed if anyone has the time...
I have heeded all advice given and made the following modifications:
BREAKFAST FRESH SQUUEZED OJ- I realize I need to cut the sugar down, but I
have another 8kilos of oranges to get through first!
MIDMORNING AND DRUNK THROUGH THE DAY- 2PINTS GREEN SMOOTHIE, made with
approx 60% greens 40% fruit (Thank you Mrs Boutenko!! Fantastic book!!!)
LUNCH- Large mixed salad with 2tbs oil, olive or hemp
SNACKS- FRUITS 2-3 PIECES 3 BRAZIL NUTS
DINNER- Either continue with smoothie, green juice or salad.

Whilst I realize this is alot of fruit, and I will cut it down in the smoothies, and eventually lose the oJ, how can I keep my energy levels up enough to get through work, I can feel a little dizzy in the afternoon, and need a couple of bananas to get me out for a jog. I'm loathe to eat too many sprouts again..Thanks to all you kind, helpful 'rawers' out there.
Regards Anna

Date: May 07, 2006 04:39AM

Hello,

I am very interested in this thread as I have been experiencing the same problem of not losing much weight when I eat raw. I, too eat large amounts of fats while trying to keep my carbs low for the sole reason of keeping my insulin dosages down. I am a type 1 diabetic (14 years). It seems to be a catch-22 for me because if I cut back on the fats and have more carbs (like fruits) I have to take more insulin (which makes me gain weight!). If I eat a lot of fats, that taxes my liver which then hampers the weight loss. What exactly are overt fats? My main source of fats (when totally raw) are avocados, young coconuts, olive oil, hemp seeds, almond butter, nuts, and seeds. I am looking to lose 15 pounds. Any suggestions? Maybe it's better that I cut way back on the fats (I average about 53% fat according to Fitday) and take a little more insulin? Not sure what to do.

Thanks

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: May 07, 2006 05:28AM

sierradawn7,

You don't mention how much of other raw foods you consume. You'll stabilize your blood sugar and lose weight by adding greens, fibrous foods, and exercise.

Posted by: rawfoodie ()
Date: May 07, 2006 05:32AM

Here are some guidelines from experience that guarantee weight loss and great skin:

Do's
1. Chew your food really well
2. Enjoy your food really well. Don't eat it while watching television, for example.
3. Read tons and get inspired.
4. Exercise in the morning. This way, you burn older fat and your metabolism speeds up and you will be burning more calories for the rest of the day and food will be better digested.
5. Drink juice every morning (before exercising, for example).
6. Take baths... salt baths, vinegar baths, flower baths... relax. Enjoy life.

Don't's
1. Don't eat after 6pm.
2. Don't mix too many foods together.
3. Don't eat too much. You can gain weight on any diet if you eat a lot.
4. Keep dried fruits to a minimum (better not to eat them at all).
5. Keep salt to a minimum (even if it's sea/celtic)
6. Don't drink water after eating.

All the best!!!

Date: May 07, 2006 08:38AM

YeAAY!!
All advice heeded, and the weight has started moving again!! Only a lb, but to someone struggling thats a massive incentive. I have tonnes more energy, on my longer weekend jog I feel like I could go for miles more, but alas the dog gets knackered! My liver is still twinging, I will try the fat free soon, but I need to work up to it! Or maybe make time for that liver flush (yuck!) I have done 3 successful flushes, but they really wipe me out. On the other hand, they naturally give you an aversion to fats for a while...
Also according to 'Green for Life's' mention of the Russian stomach test (Pink No.1's and 2's after consuming beetroot), they were no longer pink after 3 days on the greens!

Sierradawn, have you read V. Boutenkos latest free news letter on diabetes, and how she cured her son of type 2 ( I think) diabetes? FASCINATING reading, just go to her Raw family website. Good luck!!

Regs Anna

Date: May 07, 2006 03:30PM

I have read about about V. Boutenko's son. She said that he was a type 1. The thing is she changed his diet right at the beginning whereas I didn't start pursuing a raw diet until about 4 years after diagnosis I didn't do 100% until about 8 years after diagnosis. I did about 99% raw several months a couple years ago. I still had to take insulin both times. I don't expect I will ever be able to completely get off it, but I don't think it's impossible either. People need to understand that Type 1 and Type 2 are COMPLETELY different. In fact that should have different names because the general population confuses the two so much. In a nutshell, Type 1 means the pancreas is unable to make any insulin whereas Type 2 means that the pancreas DOES work, but doesn't utilize insulin very well.

I like the fact that eating raw lowers my insulin requirements, but probably my biggest challenge are fats and my love for gourmet cooking. I know that conventional wisdom is to simplify. Thanks for your replies!

sierradawn7

Posted by: Oneris ()
Date: May 08, 2006 10:42PM

"That will leave Green juices, salads and water."
- Sounds ideal.

"How can I keep my energy levels up enough to get through work?"
- As you lower the sugar intake, your body turns to fat as it's primary resource for energy. The average body can only hold 2,500 calories of sugar energy and 150,000 calories of fat energy.

HOW you exercise directly impacts what your body uses for energy, sugar v. fat. Sugar is for the immediate needs and is intended for emergencies, that's why your body will freak out when sugar levels drop cause it thinks it's gonna be in trouble. If you go for a run, start out walking and let your heart rate gradually increase. Do it gradually and your body will use fat for energy, if your heart rate jumps to quickly you'll turn to the sugar.

You'll know you're burning sugar if your breaths get shallow and quick, your field of vision will narrow and you'll be able to focus on little except for what's right in front of you. When you're in a fat burning state your field of vision is still wide open, breathing is full and deep(air going to the lower lungs goes to different parts of the body that just air from the upper lungs).

As your body starts using fat more often than sugar, you'll notice your energy level throughout the day will balance out

Date: May 09, 2006 06:17PM

Thanks for that info Oneris.
I have managed to reduce my sugar (fruit intake) and find that taking some smoothie before eating really helps the appetite. I do find that I am better with a decent warm up when jogging, the above advice was really interesting, and I am just astounded at the difference that green juices and smoothies make with regard to energy levels.
Thanks,
Anna

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables