Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Tonya Zevasta's Book
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: October 19, 2007 11:51PM

Anyone familiar with her writings? I think her book just came out recently. I subscribe to her newsletter, and I was pretty impressed with her ideas on diet, which I found intriguing and I really resonated with them. Her website is called "Beautiful on Raw," I think. She's over 50 and is especially concerned with helping women stay healthy and vital through and after menopause.

Has anyone here purchased any DVDs or books from her? Any impressions?

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tonya Zevasta's Book
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 20, 2007 01:04AM

ive haunted her site for a couple of years and yea if i look that good in 15 years praise be ! tongue sticking out smiley work in progress im working on it lol

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: October 20, 2007 01:13AM

sharrhan,

I'd rather read your book but i couldn't find it on amazon...

here's some raw food books for you that you might like

natures first law for nutcase libertarians

raw libertarian propaganda

80/10/10 Fruit, Fat or Freedom, pick one - by Dr No

ron paul kids: transitioning your kids to constitutionalists

the ron paul detox diet: the five step plan for maximum freedom and democracy

12 steps to ron paul - how to end your dependency on democrats

and for a snack

the ron paul revolution organic live food bars in chocolate and cashew - free to those in need

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 20, 2007 02:02AM

oh my goodness, fresh, you've caught the veronique! i didn't know it was contagious!

Date: October 20, 2007 02:55AM

Sigh... the RP plague is spreading!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2007 02:57AM by kwan.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: October 20, 2007 07:15AM

She's an engineer, I think. That might be worth something.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 20, 2007 09:25AM

coco says:

<<oh my goodness, fresh, you've caught the veronique! i didn't know it was contagious!>>

i sneezed tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: rawnora ()
Date: October 20, 2007 09:52PM

Why does the only honest politician in the whole world have to be a doctor. Oh well, I guess we can't have everything. RP in '08!

Nora
www.RawSchool.com

Date: October 21, 2007 12:02AM

Well, since my thread has already been hijacked and is now clearly in 'off-topic' territory, I'll just say this:

I heard him reiterate on the news a couple nights ago that he would abolish Social Security. (Does anyone remember what it was like before we had Social Security? People were really, really struggling. We earn our Social Security. If the government didn't ROB the Social Security fund and spend billions of our taxpayer dollars on war, gratft, and massive corruption, we could easily, effortlessly provide Social Security for every American... and we should!)

He has not given up any of the trappings of libertarianism. He would abolish income tax and further deregulate the corporate sector. He also actually came out and said that the government shouldn't legislate minority rights. He's an uber-conservative republican who just happens to be the only one against the war, which is popular right now, so he capitalizes on that fact. But scratch the surface or question him on key libertarian topics and you get a big surprise. But in public he tones it down and only talks about the war and other things that the a majority of voters can agree with. (I'm a bleeding heart liberal and I agree with much of his rhetoric, just not where I know he's REALLY comoing from.)

Not wanting the United States to become something straight out of a Dickens novel, I tell all my friends to be wary of RP and read up on him before giving him their nod. Anyway, if he were by some weird anomaly to become president I believe it'd be kind of like this: moving from the darkness, control and tyranny of the Bush administration to an altogether new form of darkness, lawlessness and anarchy.

Okay... I'm done with my rant. Now can we talk about RAW FOOD? Thank you!!!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: rawnora ()
Date: October 21, 2007 01:07AM

If anarchy is the cost of liberty, bring it on. RP in '08! smiling smiley

Nora
www.RawSchool.com

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: October 21, 2007 02:36AM

To get back on topic:

Yes, I bought her book Your Right to be Beautiful and I love it. There are very few recipes, it is mostly a summary of her years of research into beauty. The woman is obsessed with beauty since she was homely as a child. I don't care about beauty, I look beyond it and love her reasearch, she talks about checking out every book in the library about a particular subject and most of her conclusions are sound. I got sick of all the beauty talk at the front of the book so I started at the back and read the chapters backwards. A big difference between this book and others is that everything is about getting visible results rather than promoting some type of ideal diet.

How reading this book changed my diet: She is totaly agaist adding salt to anything so I've stopped that,she got me started on seaweed and her chapter on fasting is very inspirational.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: October 21, 2007 03:30AM

I also have read her older book, and I got it from the library. I liked it so much I want to buy my own copy. It's very good, and any new books she has out will probably be just as informative. She has a terrific website also and she is a beauty!

Prism

Date: October 21, 2007 03:32AM

Thanks, Tropical! Your assessment is really helpful. Yes, I find her beauty obsession a bit hard to take, but I sensed maybe she has some sound knowledge behind all that 'girl-talk.' I really liked her calorie restriction and mini-fasting detox concept, and so I will probably buy her book at some point. I'm really into fasting as part of a raw food diet, so that fasting chapter sounds intriguing to me.

Thanks again.

Date: October 21, 2007 03:36AM

Prism,
Thank you for your confirmation of the book; you guys have convinced me it's worth checking out. Hey, maybe I can find it at the library. I hate buying things online, and my local bookstores don't seem to carry many good raw food books.

Posted by: dream earth ()
Date: October 21, 2007 04:29AM

Well, I'm never visiting the "raw school" website again...the wrong paul trolling is pathetic; shut the @#$%& up!

Date: October 21, 2007 02:33PM

Amen, dream earth!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: October 22, 2007 12:32AM

I don't mind hearing from a beauty-fanatic. To those who read her book, is she saying something that we haven't heard yet? What's her secret of staying beautiful?

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: October 22, 2007 02:46PM

dream earth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, I'm never visiting the "raw school" website
> again...the wrong paul trolling is pathetic;

Thanks dreamearth - reading posts by people steeped in delusions of grandiosity and hypocrisy isn't my thing, either.

Date: October 22, 2007 10:22PM

A long quote from a book by Tonya Zavasta: [familyarticles.net]

I gather, it is the 100-percent raw-food-diet that does it!

(I hope I am not being off topic ha ha.)

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: October 22, 2007 11:01PM

Rawgosia--
Thanks! Great article, totally on topic. The only RP we talk about here on the main forum is Raw Prettiness. :-p

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: October 23, 2007 12:30AM

Gosia,

Since you are already a fruitarian you'd probably be bored with the book. It's meant to take someone from SAD to raw, so big portions are devoted to why to give up cooking, meat, milk, grains, salt, sugar and vitamins all with an eye to what they do to your appearance. Even I was bored with some sections, but they were a great confirmation that I was doing the right thing. There is nothing new here it is just a little more researched than some books. The basic iformation is well known, but there are little tidbits of information that are interesting like for example:

- Brazil nuts are high in selenium a mineral with aniti-aginmg prperties.

- "A baby's perfect complection is partly due to the fact that at birth the body is over 90% water and at age 75 only about a third of the body's composition is water." And then the book goes on about the importance of high-water foods and why just drinking water won't do the trick.

Date: October 23, 2007 12:49AM

Tropical--
You just saved me some money-- I think I'll just keep getting Tonya's newsletter and skip her book if it's beginner-oriented. Thanks for the tip.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: October 23, 2007 03:51AM

You can read the first chapter "I Will be Beautiful or I Will be Dead" on Amazon and check out the index. I like the first review by Courtney Peterson "Sheepie" which was a lot like mine especially that:

"The most helpful things I learned from this books are the benefits of eating seaweed and fasting "

[www.amazon.com]

BTW if I may highjack the thread - or maybe sidestep a little - has anyone read "Eating for Beaty" by David Wolfe? Are there other "eat for beauty" books out there?

Thanks!

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: October 23, 2007 04:22AM

Gosia,

Thank you for the link to the excerpt.

But from reading it I cannot fathom why people like this book. It presents nothing but a rant in which Tonya presents her opinion as fact. No substance whatever. I can't believe the positive reviews on Amazon. I'm convinced that they were planted by her friends, they can't be real.

Date: October 23, 2007 04:59AM

"I Will be Beautiful or I Will be Dead" !!! lol

Funny.

Well, I read the excerpt from Chapter 1. Kind of made me sad to read that (not for me, for her)! I was an ugly duckling too (cross-eyed, patch on one eye, glasses from age 2-1/2 on, chubby...) so I can relate to some of what she writes about a little bit, but it made me feel squeamish to read it. I mean ultimately we're raw foodists because we want to be radiantly healthy, right?

Okay, I admit I want to look good too-- sure, we all do-- and sometimes when I start to look less attractive than I think I should, I'll do a fast or a cleanse. Clearly health and beauty are at least distant cousins if not intimately related. But still, I'm uncomfortable with the blatant emphasis on beauty. I do know some wonderful raw foodists who are very healthy who aren't 'beautiful,' in the Hollywood sense that I think Tonya is talking about. I'm a little put off by the insinuation there that if you're raw and you're really doing it right, you're going to be drop dead gorgeous.

Oh well... She is great looking, and clearly going raw accentuated her attractiveness, so maybe she just saw a good angle for creating her own niche in the raw food community; can't blame her for that.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Re: Tonya ZAvasta's Book
Posted by: zspencer ()
Date: October 29, 2007 09:06PM

I heard Tonya Zavasta speak in TN recently (a quick FYI- her name is spelled Zavasta).

She was great--lively, youthful and very inspiring. She is friends with the Boutenko's (rawfamily.com) and shared some Green Smoothies with us, made with Swiss Chard and mangos--amazing! I've been making them in all their forms ever since.

I have her skin care cream, which comes with a skin brush that is terrific! She does have a new book that should be out now. Her husband recently went raw and has lost 70 pounds and looks great too.

Tonya Zavasta: www.beautifulonraw.com

Z Spencer

Date: October 29, 2007 10:19PM

- "A baby's perfect complection is partly due to the fact that at birth the body is over 90% water and at age 75 only about a third of the body's composition is water." And then the book goes on about the importance of high-water foods and why just drinking water won't do the trick.

Tropical, this quote makes sense to me. I discovered that when I eat lots of juicy fruit, my skin looks smoother. Give me cooked, and it starts wrinkling. I feel thristy if I don't get my fruit. (I am not a fruitarian. Not yet, at least. But I love fruit.)

Kwan, I think you've got a point. There are some things that we just can't get rid off by being raw. Plastic surgery industry is thriving. But perhaps beauty is a little beyond flawless features. I met some gorgeous looking people who just wouldn't do the trick for me when they opened they mouths. On the other hand, some average looking people can be so iressistably beautiful.

Greenie, I see what you are saying. Still, I think that hearing opinion of someone who is "doing it", is interesting.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2007 10:23PM by rawgosia.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables