Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Teflex Sheets
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 01, 2006 04:06PM

Dear Raw Foods Community,

I'm wondering if many of you recommend using the Teflex Sheets in food dehydrators. I have my own doubts because of the concerns with chemicals used by DuPont to make Teflon, the non-stick coating used in many products including Teflex.

Here is a quote from RawGuru.com about Teflex:
(http://www.rawguru.com/store/product.php?productid=16155&cat=0&bestseller)

"Teflex sheets are non-stick, solid sheets coated with DuPont Teflon, which are recommended for use with liquids and finer produce. They are washable and re-useable, as well as being microporous - allowing drying from the bottom as well as the top."

Here is news about Teflon, quoted from ABC's 20/20:
(http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=1540964)

"January 25,2006 - The federal government said today that although the science is still coming in, enough health concerns have been raised already to virtually eliminate continued exposure to the key chemical used to make Teflon...'It would be hard to imagine a chemical that is more widespread in our environment,' said Kenneth Cook, the president and founder of the watchdog organization Environmental Working Group. 'It is found everywhere from babies in the womb to whales in the ocean. And beyond that, it is indestructible in the environment. It lasts forever.'

Federal officials say the agreement also applies to a variety of Teflon consumer products — including carpeting and clothing, food packing, as well as Teflon pots and pans."

If by eating raw foods we agree that toxins in our body are not acceptable, then shouldn't we be concerned about the possible chemicals that come in contact with our foods?

Safe Eating everyone!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teflex Sheets
Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: May 01, 2006 04:55PM

Nina,

I agree with you but you're not cooking your foods on the trays and therefore they don't heat up to a temperature hot enough to release chemicals into your food. If you have an excalibur dehydrator, it uses horizontal heating so heat is actually hitting your food left to right rather than from a bottom heating element. Since your food is dehydrated at a lower temperature and the food is not truly being cooked then you have nothing to worry about. If you're still concerned you can always try wax paper. Personally, I'd rather use the teflex sheets. The people who make excalibur tell me they're completely safe to use and I take their word for it. After all, they created the thermostat models for raw foodists so why would they mislead us on the sheets.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: May 02, 2006 01:59PM

I don't use the teflex and never felt comfortable with them, even before the research came out. I just untreated, undyed baking parchment paper. It works fine and is non-toxic.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 02, 2006 11:33PM

I tried the parchment paper and everything sticks to it, you have to use oil or oil spray... I like the Texflex sheets. I do not believe they release harmful chemicals unless they are heated...
Carlson

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: May 03, 2006 12:28AM

I have tried both, and I prefer parchment paper. I use it for my raw crackers and cookies. I am able to peel off the paper without any sticking problems - just go slowly. I have found that food dries faster with parchment paper than with teflex sheets.

Life Is Good!

alive!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables