Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: lunch and comments from coworkers
Posted by: praewjik ()
Date: November 15, 2007 08:06PM

I wish that was my workplace! People here say "man... with you eating like that that young you're going to live forever!" and then they later say how I'm not getting the enough nutrients in a raw diet and I'm going to get sick. STRANGE!

Oh, and I drink 2 huge glasses of green smoothie (spinach/kale, 2 bananas, strawberries, and kiwi) every morning, and my co-workers call it the "Pond Scum Smoothie."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: November 15, 2007 08:30PM

I love any attention directed at my food, good or bad - it gives me a great excuse to chat about how fabulous I think the raw diet is.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: November 15, 2007 08:30PM

Most of my co-workers are heavily addicted to Diet Coke. One guy literally started shaking and looking around like he was desperate when the Coke machine was out of Diet Coke. He really looked panicked and said, "Where's the other Coke machine? Isn't there another Coke machine around here? What's wrong with this one?" It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. He was about to freak out.

My co-workers are very nice to me though. Sometimes they ask me for a taste of what I am eating. They don't ask each other that. (When you are a SAD eater, someone else's greasy slop isn't new and interesting. Fresh pineapple is new and interesting!) I always oblige them with a taste.

Don't let people with bad social skills get you down. They seriously don't have manners. That's really sad and a bummer to deal with.

Hang in there and keep doing what you need to do for you. You may not win a popularity contest but you will be here long after they are all dead. I know, that's kind of depressing too. I'm trying to find a way to look on the bright side.

Lee

Posted by: frances ()
Date: November 15, 2007 09:01PM

That "motor-oil and vaseline" comment sounds familiar.

I once brought a brazil-broccoli mash from Ani Phyo's book (broccoli, brazil nuts, garlic, salt) to work and while I was eating I became aware that a few of my coworkers were moving around trying to track down the smell. They were convinced there was a gas leak until they figured out they were smelling my lunch. A couple of months later I happened to mention the incident to my father who told me "Members of the cole family are famous for smelling like gasoline. Do you live on the moon?" Apparently this is to be expected and I'm particularly dumb not to have known it. Oh well.

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: November 15, 2007 09:33PM

I agree with sunshine79

david

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 15, 2007 11:59PM

Praewjik,
That doesn't sound very mature of people to make comments like that. what business is it of anyones what you eat anyway? I never understood that. I got some undeserved attention at my last workplace. I am usually pretty touchy about that, and can be a bit defensive unfortunately. I know that I should not be, but I can't help it.

Usually its when I eat something they think isn't that great. I would think that would make them feel more comfortable, not less! I sometimes have cornchips. Probably not great, but it only has three incredients! The other was usually salted peanuts. Roasted nuts and salt, maybe some oil for roasting thats it! Its a failure as far as I am concerned, departing from raw foods. But to them I have an amazingly healthy diet.

Well, keep in mind that a lot of people are ignorant about nutrition, or very addicted to some pretty bad stuff. The most uncomfortable people are those that have the biggest addictions, and these tend to watch the most and be the most critical. Try not to take it personally. They are torchured by this stuff!

Posted by: praewjik ()
Date: November 16, 2007 04:56PM

Mislu,
No doubt that one cannot let it bother ones self. I usually respond with a "I did put vaseline in it...." and have this DEAD serious look on my face, all confused kind of. Then they just kind of stare at me.

For sure it is envy and disappointment in themselves as those same people often tell me "I wish I had the discipline to do what you are doing, or even partially go raw."

I'm used to dumb comments like this, as I live in an area where it is scarce to meet a vegetarian (unless they also only eat fish and sea food)... I went into a restaurant years ago when I first went vegetarian and I wanted a veggie dish they just stared at me. Luckily I moved away from there when I went vegan!!! When I go back to visit family I nearly starve, but luckily I can go sneak some fresh produce from local crop fields next to my house!

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: November 17, 2007 11:06AM

I like this thread and its like medication for me right now smiling smiley
I've been raw for about 6 months and that is all fruit and veges with very little else, no oil, nuts etc. Lately I've found my energy levels lifting amazingly being able to do physical activity for aages and have no aches and not get all that hungry either.

I become comfortably oblivious to how alien this lifestyle is until I spend time in a social group such as tonight at a christmass party at a Thai restaurant. The group I was with were Chinese and the catering was buffet style with the "exception" which was me : /

They brought me a plate of what they thought constituted a salad. I didn't expect much coming from a conventional restaurant and indeed it was just that. It was raw, but fairly uninspiring stuff.. I ate most of it except the broccoli which was starting to go yellow, the potatoe which I wouldn't eat even if they hadn't cooked it, and the spring onion which was in big chunks and wouldn't be all that tasty with the other vege chunks and no dressing.

All the while I caught the hoasts glancing in my direction to see if perhaps "they had guessed right" in what raw vegan would eat, and also how the heck someone could eat only that grinning smiley

I got alot of the usual inquiries as to why, how long, what do you eat blah blah, but seriously, there is such a gulf between what I understand about health and diet to what these deep fried chicken / fat laden soups, noodles and desert type eaters believe that I just don't even start. I've read soo much info and had so much personal experience on the negative effects of eating these things and the positive of raw but I don't have a photographic memory and can't quote the science behind it when put on the spot.

To say something like... all physical ailments can be cured by removing the toxic bombardment of the body would be so unreal to them and open such a huge can of worms that I only answer their questions with real non committal statements like "I eat this way because it feels healthy" or "I don't eat that because it makes me feel prety bad".

Consequently my dietary choices rouse only passing curiosity and no meaningfull knowledge is imparted. Then when I get home I have some real food smiling smiley

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: November 17, 2007 02:53PM

Yesterday I got called anorexic as some fatty girl couldnt squeeze by my chair, I looked at her and she yelled out, I am not anorexic like you.

ahahahaha

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 18, 2007 01:58PM

When your coworkers are overweight, "attractive" becomes "anorexic" and eating healthy becomes "gross."

Date: November 18, 2007 02:33PM

I'm so sorry you guys have to go through that crap!!!

I went through it to in my early days and it's not nice...it's a sad fact that a lot of people are fearful creatures and anything that pushes them out of there comfort zone will cause them to be rude or aggressive but just remember it's not you per se, it's them that have the problem because if they choose to get upset over you eating a peice of fruit then they definately have issues!!!

I don't get hassled or questioned any more and that's odd because I'm always in a fruitarian fitness shirt, mind you whose going to hassle or question my lifestyle when I'm pumping out one arm push ups!!!!?

Be good y'all

F1

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: November 18, 2007 03:23PM

fruitarian one says:

<<I don't get hassled or questioned any more and that's odd because I'm always in a fruitarian fitness shirt, mind you whose going to hassle or question my lifestyle when I'm pumping out one arm push ups!!!!?>>

Well, I can do NO ARM push ups... ( just kidding smiling smiley

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: November 18, 2007 04:39PM

I embrace it thesedays as an oppurtunity to speak about how much this way of life has changed me and healed me from my crohns..

Not many people can argue with that, people at work have seen the difference- me sick, puffy faced and half falling asleep taking steroids daily to now drug free and living to the max!!

my desk is like the garden of eden, I offer everyone beauitful ripe fruit smiling smiley no complaints..lol

only got some enquiring questions about my corn one afternoon..lol

Raw-k on!!

Date: November 18, 2007 10:57PM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> fruitarian one says:
>
> <>
>
> Well, I can do NO ARM push ups... ( just kidding
> smiling smiley

I bet you could if you wanted to!!!!

F1

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables