Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

fruits causing too much gas/bloating
Posted by: ariel ()
Date: May 02, 2006 04:24PM

has anyone else been experiencing this? but as soon as i eat any kind of fruit, my stomach starts to bubble from inside, it bloats, and i need to pass gas. when i first tried out raw last year, i didn't have this problem. but now, when i'm going back to it, my stomach hasn't been able to tolerate much of it. i heard that i may have some mucous buildup thats reacting and causing the fruit to ferment in the colin? is that possible? or what could be cuasing it? and how i can i get rid of it, it really annoying and uncomfortable sometimes.

thanks for your help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fruits causing too much gas/bloating
Posted by: chiquita ()
Date: May 02, 2006 09:20PM

are you eating fruit alone and on an empty stomach? are you mixing different kinds of fruits together or are these the so-called mono meals?

Posted by: ariel ()
Date: May 02, 2006 11:19PM

it doesn't matter! if i mix or eat them alone or on a full or empty stomach, the same problem always happens. its worse with the sweeter fruits. coconut is probably the only fruit that doesn't cause me these problems.

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: May 04, 2006 08:49PM

I would perhaps consider the quantity of fruit eaten, the quality of said fruit, and how long it takes you to eat it. Those might be good places to start.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 14, 2006 07:38AM

I just posted this to another thread earlier tonight... I hope this helps. Also, keep in mind that fruit has incredible cleansing/restorative properties, so give the fruit a chance using the rules outlined below as your system may be going through a cleansing process.

"PLEASE STOP COMBINING FRUIT WITH ANYTHING! This is probably a huge contributor to your problem. Fruit has very special digestive requirements. It must pass very quickly through the stomach, othwerwise, if it gets held up with veggies (which take a few hours longer to process in the stomach than does fruit), it will begin to ferment in the stomach at the high temparatures. As a general rule, do not eat fruit for AT LEAST 4 hours after a a meal of veggies or grain. As a general rule, you can usually successfully eat veggies/grain 30 minutes to 1 hour after eating fruit, because it has been able to pass through the system at the rate of speed it requires. Fruit must be eaten alone (although combinations of different kinds of fruit together is usually not a problem for people)."

Think of it like this... If you eat a big salad (which takes approx. 5 hours to digest) and then a few pieces of fruit right or soon after (within the 3 to 4 hour clearance window), the fruit just sits on top of the salad, not getting addressed by the gastric juices that form somewhat of a pool at the bottom of the stomach. The fruit then, being in an environment of high internal temparature, begins to ferment. So, once it is finally digested, it doesn't get digested completely and because of the fermentation, it moves into the bowels causing very uncomfortable bloating and gas. I know the frustration and irritability this causes first hand before I learned the beauty and logic of food combining.

Good luck to you with this - fruit is a beautiful thing if consumed intelligently and cautiously. The rules I outlined below worked VERY well for me and I now rarely if ever suffer from fruit induced gas or bloating.

-Jayburd

Date: May 14, 2006 04:44PM

Yeah ....Fruits are very cleansing and it takes time to adjust, it's best to be pretty clean to start with when adopting a high fruit diet!

Posted by: chickory ()
Date: May 15, 2006 03:49PM

Hi,
Both my partner and I feel much better when we don't eat fruit. We eat mostly leafy greens and some soaked or sproated seeds. Our theory is that many people go through a high fruit period as a transition ( both physical and emotional)until they are ready for a high leafy green diet.
Chickory

Posted by: geneticpromise ()
Date: May 16, 2006 02:27PM

Hi!

Yeah, I don't eat any fruit...I feel sick, tired afterwards, bloated, gassy. I get what I need nutritionally from vegetables all types. Fruit, esp. modern cultivated fruit, is too sweet. Messes with our metabolism....I've been off it for months now (previously for one year) and much beter for it. I'm all for vwegatables - sprouts, etc.

geneticpromise

Posted by: Felix ()
Date: May 16, 2006 03:43PM

Chicory and Genetic Promise, I would appreciate a sample of a daily menu with quantities as I'm not doing too well health wise and eat a lot of fruit since I'm so thin but don't seem to be able to regain my health. Thanks!

Posted by: FruityJules ()
Date: May 16, 2006 05:35PM

As Arnold Ehret says, fruit is a relentless cleanser of the body.

Fruit does not mix with any other food, in my experience. It is best eaten alone.

Fruit is the best food, the highest food, and a person must be relatively clean to live on fruit without fermentation or detox problems.

If you can be patient and allow your body to purify/adjust/transform you will be able to live easily on fruit and feel the best ever!

I recommend reading Ehret's The Mucusless Diet Healing System. It's an inexpensive paperback that is truly priceless. It will answer your questions about mucus and bloating and explain how to transition to a fruit diet.

Love to all,
Julie

Posted by: chickory ()
Date: May 16, 2006 06:10PM

Hi Felix,
Truth is, I was much thinner on a high fruit diet (Body Mass Index 18.2) than on a greens, seeds diet (20.2) even though I was eating a lot of fruit all day long, about 12-15 pieces of fruit a day, a piece being one banana, one apple, a cup of papaya or berries, etc. Now my diet is four meals a day, each meal consisting of about one and a half or one and three-quarters cup of leafy greens, such as kale, dandelion, parsley, spinach, clover sprouts, broccoli sprouts, pea of sunflower microgreens; and about a quarter cup to a half cup of soaked or sprouted seeds: pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, flax, psillium. Flax and psillium sprout well on a clay saucer, and psillium is surprisingly tasty.
Chickory

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables