Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw kale
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 03, 2006 08:18PM

I have been getting bad stomach pains from eating any kind of raw kale, even when marinated overnight in a salad with lemon juice and olive oil, or in a green smoothie. Has anyone else had this experience? I would really like to keep it in my diet, but my body seems to have trouble digesting it. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw kale
Date: May 03, 2006 08:38PM

Juice it maybe.

But if it really hurts you maybe you should aviod it. At least for awhile.

Posted by: Oneris ()
Date: May 03, 2006 09:49PM

How long have you been eating raw? Are you 100% raw? One thing I know is if your body is more acid, alkaline foods taste more bitter. Wheatgrass is an excellent indicator, the more alkaline your body gets, the better it tastes to you.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: May 03, 2006 11:34PM

Well, it might also be that you're not chewing the kale enough. It's a rougher leaf than most of the salad greens and might just be harder to digest if not chewed properly. If that's the problem, putting kale in your smoothies might solve it. I often do that with kale and all sorts of other greens. It's far more digestible than having them in salads. I love kale in smoothies.

Posted by: newbie ()
Date: May 08, 2006 05:07AM

[www.whfoods.com]
Scroll to almost the bottom of the link above to read the safety warning.

Kale has a safety warning on it. Kale is not good for everybody to eat.

Safety
Kale and Oxalates
Kale is among a small number of foods that contain any measurable amount of oxalates, naturally-occurring substances found in plants, animals, and human beings. When oxalates become too concentrated in body fluids, they can crystallize and cause health problems. For this reason, individuals with already existing and untreated kidney or gallbladder problems may want to avoid eating kale. Oxalates may also interfere with absorption of calcium from the body. For this reason, individuals trying to increase their calcium stores may want to avoid kale, or if taking calcium supplements, may want to eat kale 2-3 hours before or after taking their supplements.

Kale and Goitrogens
Kale contains goitrogens, naturally-occurring substances in certain foods that can interfere with the functioning of the thyroid gland. Individuals with already existing and untreated thyroid problems may want to avoid kale for this reason. Cooking may help to inactivate the goitrogenic compounds found in food. However, it is not clear from the research exactly what percent of goitrogenic compounds get inactivated by cooking, or exactly how much risk is involved with the consumption of kale by individuals with pre-existing and untreated thyroid problems.

Date: May 08, 2006 05:10PM

Have you tried this recipe?

Purchase a big bunch of kale and remove the stems. Chop it up into small pieces and sprinkle on a teaspoon of celtic sea salt. Massage and squeeze the salt into the kale and let it sit for 10 minutes until it starts wilting.

Put 3 tablespoons of lemon juice on the kale and squeeze / massage it so it wilts some more. Next add a dash of cayenne pepper, a tablespoon olive oil, diced tomatoe, and a diced avocado.

I have found this wilted kale to be easier to digest than raw kale.

Date: May 10, 2006 06:28PM

Thanks everyone. I think I will try just juicing it for now, or make sure to really wilt it with lemon juice and salt before eating. I'm pretty new to raw, so that might have something to do with it. Plus I always eat a lot of it at once because it tastes so good.

Thanks again for all the knowlege...I'll let you know if any other probs occur!

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: May 10, 2006 08:18PM

I don't think that all foods were meant to be consumed raw (unless you are an animal). Some foods are just too hard to digest in the raw state. Mike's salt & lemon treatment might help for some people, a good suggestion.

Date: May 12, 2006 06:35AM

good suggestion U say Horsea
but Mike
this sounds like a LOOOOT of salt to me!...
do U eat then this whole salad???
that would be a big intake of salt!
i get stinky arpits if i ingest any salt during raw potlucks....????....
....seems to me my body can't handle it well....???....

weeell...that's my experience....& i'm SOOOOO SPEEEEEECIAL...ha ha

LOVE, Namaste, Basia

Date: May 12, 2006 06:39AM

TanzaGirl - forgot to add to my above post -
how about trying to use some digestive enzymes...they help some people...

how r u doing with the kale now???

LOVE, Namaste, Basia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables