Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

yellow plantain
Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: November 14, 2007 06:32PM

my dad has made me a smoothie, but accidentally put in a yellow plantain instead of a banana. Are plantains alright to eat at this stage, even though they are still very starchy? Is it unwise to eat this? I really want to drink the smoothie, since he made it for me, and i cannot really eat anything else since i just had oral surgery... any advice would be appreciated, but it is not that big of a dilemma :]
thanks everyone!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: yellow plantain
Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: November 14, 2007 06:34PM

opinion only: yes, its ok. winking smiley

Posted by: michelle80 ()
Date: November 14, 2007 06:41PM

good question.....i only buy plantains, because sometimes i want less banana in my smoothies, and if you cut a banana in half and let it sit for awhile it gets brown and gunky.
plus i'm in brazil and there's plantains everywhere. smiling smiley

anyone know anything definite? i've been eating between 4 and 8 a day and feel great.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: November 15, 2007 02:01AM

I think it's cool that your dad made you a smoothie since he has been so hard headed about your diet before.

I don't know about the plantain but IMO it would be fine although less easy to digest.

Speedy recovery!!!

Posted by: fuzzysox ()
Date: November 15, 2007 02:21AM

thankyou everyone for your input :]
i feel very sad and put off though.
my dad deceived me about what was in the smoothie,
i asked him over and over again if all that it consisted of was fresh fruit and he assured me that it was,
but while drinking it i thought that it tasted slightly off, and i was starting to get a stomache ache ....
so i asked him if he happened to put in yogurt, and he said that he had put scoops of powdered dairy in it...
i havent had dairy for 11 months, i thought he would know that... he could not understand why my stomache was upset...
i don't feel like i can trust him for making me anything ever again...
oh well,life goes on.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: November 15, 2007 02:49AM

Ahhhh, I am sorry. Maybe it's not that he is sabotaging your diet but just doesn't get it. I hope that is the case. Either way I guess he can't make your food. Powdered dairy, huh. Yuck! That's worse than fresh. Double speedy recovery!!!

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: November 15, 2007 11:02AM

ah, the guy is trying. don't be too hard on him. alot of people just can not fathom why dairy products are not good for you. i don't think he is trying to sabotage. like pakd said, he just doesnt get it.

Posted by: uti ()
Date: November 16, 2007 03:44AM

fuzzysox,

It can very stressful when someone close to you judges you for how you choose to eat, but from what you've shared I get the feeling that your dad decided that he knew better than you what you should eat. Did he know you had given up dairy for that long? For me, giving someone dairy who has not had it for 11 months and is recovering from painful surgery is tantamount to a violent act. Besides that the dairy and fruit food combining is very poor. Some people get very sick from this sort of thing.

This is not a loving act from someone you should be able to trust. If it were me, I would make it very clear that you really appreciate him wanting to help you while you are recovering, but before he prepares any food for you in the future you will tell him exactly what you need and he is not to make any decisions on his own about what to prepare. This is not an easy situation to deal with so make sure you're not angry when you discuss this. Be prepared that he may get defensive or angry because he "meant well", but be patient and clearly spell out your boundaries so that you may have peace of mind that you did your best to take care of yourself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables