Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Help! Put a knife halfway through my hand today while cleaning an avocado!
Posted by: Weezo ()
Date: December 06, 2007 12:00AM

It's all cleaned up n all now, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any good raw foods to promote healing. I have heard many raw fooders say that they do not heal as fast as they used to on raw, and I have noticed a bit of it when it comes to blemishes, etc, so I'm a bit worried. It is uncomfortable to grasp things right now and I would like to heal this up as soon as I can!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help! Put a knife halfway through my hand today while cleaning an avocado!
Posted by: dream earth ()
Date: December 06, 2007 12:21AM

"I have heard many raw fooders say that they do not heal as fast as they used to on raw"

Oh? That sounds like something people new to the diet in their detox period and panicky might go on about. I heal faster now than on cooked food, and the long-term people I know say the same. Green smoothies and juices are good, light, forming foods, but ultimately your body is going to heal at it's own pace, so you need to let the hand rest as much as you can and let it do it's work. Definitely don't try to eat more or heavier foods than you usually would with the goal of making the process faster, as that will likely backfire, as would suddenly going back to cooked food.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2007 12:24AM by dream earth.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: December 06, 2007 02:00AM

Oh..ouch..sorry you had that happen.

I think if you follow what your body leads you to eat if it's whole, raw, and fresh is what is best. You can go to the health food store that has a juice bar and shop around until you feel you really want this or that. You may want wheatgrass juice, or maybe some particular fruits, or veggies, etc..that would be an interesting experiment to do.

I've been fighting cold symptoms and I recently ran out of vit-c that I was taking and I've been having fresh lemon juice in hot water with raw honey..like 3 or 4 times a day. Today is the first day I felt like making my usually smoothies and I made a tropical one, not my usual berries and banana one.

Love,
Prism

Date: December 06, 2007 04:12AM

Thanks so much for the suggestions, it's a little funny cause normally I'm a fruit girl and I've been craving a second spinach salad today (that's what I was making when I cut myself)... so we'll see how the healing process goes! I am relatively new to raw foods, having a 3 month stint into it last winter, and went raw (except for a few minor slips) at the end of October, this little voice has been in my head ever since I discovered it that tells me it's what right, what I need physically and emotionally, so there's no way a cut will send me back to cooked, I was just possibly considering trying out some (I know, not vegan or vegetarian) sashimi maybe to aid in the process, as I always felt amazing after it in the past. For now I'll see how the extra greens do.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: December 06, 2007 06:23AM

Oh Weezo, hope you heal fast!

Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: December 06, 2007 03:23PM

My ferrets often accidentally scratch my arms - the new scratches are healing up really fast now that I am eating more fruit - especially when I eat citrus, acid fruits. Oranges, tangerines, clementines, pineapples and kiwi fruits seem to really help my scratches vanish.

Also I had an operation at the start of the year, and since eating more fruit and less fat my deep scars are really healing up.

hope you are okay though : ( x

Date: December 06, 2007 05:44PM

Hmmm... I do have kiwis and pineapple in my fridge, and I adore grapefruits, so I'll have to stock up. I used to have pet rats (not as bad as people make them sound!), and they would do the same thing to my tops of my shoulders, as they would sit up there when I was running around the house. I had a banana and two persimmons for breakfast today, hopefully those fruits help too (even though bananas are a might bit heavy, they are nothing like eating nuts, which I rarely eat anyway as there are very few which are actually raw anymore).

Posted by: shane ()
Date: December 06, 2007 07:14PM

Sorry to hear about your accident. I had a similar one with a knife and a young coconut. The gash taught me to be more mindful. I cut into my finger deeply, and considered getting stitches. Instead, I just put a bandaid on it, and I'm amazed at how quickly it's healed. It's been about a week, and it's nearly closed up completely, and I don't even think it will leave a scar.

I'm 100% raw, and I eat a tremendous amount of vitamin c rich foods: red peppers, greens, tangerines, oranges, kiwis, berries, etc. I average more than 2,000% of the RDA for vitamin c almost daily, without supplementing, and I think the high c really helps with wound-healing.

Since you're not vegan, you might also try slathering raw honey on the wound, then bandaging it. I've read that topical honey can help not only with burns, but cuts, too. Having said that, I think most bees are treated with cruelty so I don't consume honey anymore...

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: December 06, 2007 08:47PM

I was at a raw food workshop this past weekend offered by www.rawinanutshell.com and she just squeezed the skin on half of an avocado to pop the meat out. She also just kind of hit the pit with her knife and it grabbed the pit and she shook it off to throw it away. We all loved her technique with the avocado and we're all saying we were going to try it!

Karen DeVeaux
[www.healingtype1diabetes.typepad.com]

Date: December 06, 2007 10:26PM

Yea... I normally grab the pit by poking it, normally on the cutting board, but this pit it turns up was softer than usual, and being an idiot (you always have that "you're gonna hurt yourself" vibe right before you do!), I did this in my hand, and it went right through the bad pit and avocado into my palm!

Checked on it today and the wound seems to have closed... so far so good!

As for honey, I have some but I am not certain as to whether it is raw or not (it is from my pre-raw days). So far I have been I've been using a wound wash twice a day and then re-applying that NewSkin stuff, then wrapping it with gauze (loosely) after placing a sterile pad right over the wound. The NewSkin seems to make it's way off after a bit but I guess that gets some air to the wound to help it out.

I'm definitely curious how to pop the meat out by squeezing the skin.. I'll have to try that next time, I normally scoop it out w/ a spoon.

I have had lots of greens today, persimmons, bananas, and a bunch of pineapple, taking advice and trying to avoid the heavy stuff, do you guys think 1/2 an avo would be too much?

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 07, 2007 12:51AM

\
i saw that on the " will it blend?" hilarious video that coco posted on the OTHER TOPICS forum

but in it, the dude gets a banana and splits it in half with his hands
then just kind of squeezes the contents out into the blender without peeling it

it was so funny i thought that was funnier than when him and his wife threw the credit cards in the blender for their resolve to stay out of debt

well, anyhow, i'm glad your finger is getting better weezo ( hmmm.. whataname!)

hope it continues to get better

Posted by: uti ()
Date: December 07, 2007 01:19AM

A good safety rule for sharp edge tools is never put anything that bleeds in the path of a blade. Unless you're a butcher, which thankfully we aren't since we're vegans.

I know the technique you speak of in removing the pit by holding the avo half in the palm and burying the edge of the knife in the pit and pulling it out with a rotating movement. I've watched chef's do it countless times and do it myself, even though it is fundamentally dangerous.

I agree with the previous response that a person who has been raw for a while and has detoxed and is not doing high fat will heal faster.

Posted by: bostonhill ()
Date: December 07, 2007 10:02PM

I have used the herb witch hazel to heal fast. It works by increasing the circulation to it. Put it twice or day or whatever you are able to do.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: December 07, 2007 10:25PM

I stuff coconut oil in cuts asap..helps.. man my hands are covered in cuts from being overeager to eat my fruit!!..

seriously though that helps and is raw..if your worried about the honey..tho that does the same deal

Posted by: rankdurian ()
Date: December 07, 2007 11:02PM

Honey is antimicrobial. It was used by ancient egyptians for wounds.

Date: December 09, 2007 12:04AM

Well I went and ate some sashimi last night, in fear my body would not have what it needed to heal the wound, and it's really funny, I used to love the stuff and it really did not taste amazing to me anymore like it used to, it tasted like, well, dead fish (but it was fine quality, no fishy smell etc.). I am seriously beginning to think I can go vegan now! That was the one thing I was afraid would be too good to give up, but especially with the way my stomach is all gassy today after that it would have made more sense to just eat a boatload of greens yesterday (and have been much easier on the wallet!) I've always loved animals, including fish (befriended a few of my boyfriends' in the past... probably the only nut to talk to fish like they understand me lol), so it will be awesome to me if I can actually do this, now that I no longer have the taste for it!

Oh, and my wound is also more sore today now after that fishy experience, so I'm guessing it caused inflammation... sux!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables