Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How do you get the macadamia nuts out of their shells!
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: December 09, 2007 07:43AM

I (or the macadamias) broke a $20 nutcracker after the 6th one. Alas, I thought that nutcracker would last forever...

I then got a $4 nutcracker, the only one I could find, but it's skinny and doesn't easily grab the nuts. I don't know if I'm strong enough to break the shells with my hands, using this nutcracker.

My seasonal treat is taunting me in the fridge! How is it done ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you get the macadamia nuts out of their shells!
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 09, 2007 07:50AM

Get a Krakanut! Do a search on google to find one.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: December 09, 2007 08:50AM

Thanks, Bryan, it sounds great.....but their site doesn't seem to work and neither did any of the other sites I tried from the search.

If anyone knows where to buy it, online or in stores, I would love to know.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 09, 2007 02:52PM

This device worked the best out of the different ones I tried. It slices right through and leaves the nut good to go:

[www.kitchenfantasy.com]

-Before that...you have your patented....use a hammer on a rug on concrete method! Which works....with your occasional banged thumb or chipped concrete as an occupational hazard! Ha! ha!

-P.S. Some of the 'lever-action' ones work all right....but they are unwieldy. You'll have to see which methods work best for you. Have fun!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: rawnora ()
Date: December 09, 2007 09:37PM

A hammer and a nice hard surface like concrete or rock works in a pinch.

Nora
www.RawSchool.com

Posted by: drhall ()
Date: December 10, 2007 02:52AM

Nobody mentioned the garage tool of choice - Ye 'Ol Vise! I have used on coconuts,
mac's, brazil and walnuts (kidding - just use two in one hand and pop with the other). I have used dumbbell weights (weights Flat)(3-5lb)sliding down on EMT conduit (use a convenient two/three foot length)to meet nut resting on Flat weight,from predetermined best hight for the type nut or coconut. Hey, you can adjust weights hight and conduit (yeah, this is only logical for Mass Production or Bag amounts) Great for five or six nuts at one fell swoop!

Posted by: greenpower ()
Date: December 10, 2007 06:44PM

We put them in an orange pocket (we buy our oranges in large pockets) on an old cloth on concrete. The pocket prevents them flying all over, no chance of hitting your fingers, and if you do it this way it goes really fast! The cloth is to remove the bits and pieces easily so you don't need to clean up the concrete. The pocket is discarded after each use. This works very well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables