Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

what is it about raw cauliflower?
Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: December 13, 2007 05:16AM

why do i crave it so much? when i bite into it i feel the satisfaction in my body and in my blood. (i cant even explain what i mean by that)

today i fasted all day on GT'S raw organic kombucha, and then for dinner i ate 3 heads of raw cauliflower, i craved it and it satisfied and nourished me.

does my body need minerals or something it is not getting? or is raw cauliflower just one of those foods that speak to me, like raw pineapple, and romaine?

suffice it to say i will have to wear my fat pants tommorrow, for i shall look like i am 9 months pregnant, this always happens to me after a cauliflower feast!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what is it about raw cauliflower?
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: December 13, 2007 05:41AM

I have a similar thing with parsley - I crave chewing the stems and make about 5-8 cups a day into smoothies. I like the way some rawvegans have promoted using instinct or the senses as a guide to diet. I'm sure there's a reason I crave it so much, (though I didn't start using it until I read how rich in vits and minerals it is).

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 13, 2007 07:16AM

My favorite recipe is made with cauliflower. It is the "Mashed Taters" recipe in the book Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine. It is the best food ever!

Get your Free Trial of Spiritual Cinema Circle movie club at
[click.linksynergy.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2007 07:19AM by Bryan10.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: December 13, 2007 02:16PM

You could be craving the texture or something along those lines maybe??

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: December 13, 2007 03:46PM

There is a raw popcorn recipe that uses cauliflower on this page [www.rawguru.com] that you might enjoy!

Karen DeVeaux
[www.healingtype1diabetes.typepad.com]

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: December 13, 2007 04:22PM

I have the same relationship with figs. For a couple months I was eating somewhere between 20 and 40 a day. It was like heaven from the minute I put one in my mouth. I kept thinking I was going to get sick of them but, although I have drastically slowed down, I still love them. I am positive I was severely deficient in calcium. I love that my body tells me, so strongly, what it needs.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 13, 2007 06:30PM

you just might be difficient if you feel like you need that much. Take a look at your diet and see where you are getting your fuel from. I try to take trace minerals everyday along with 4 different amino acid supplements(because thats what protein is broken down so we assimilate them)

[www.rawspiritfest.com]

What an amazingly beautiful 2007 celebration, Thanks to You! Announcement: The 2008 Festival is happening at The Radisson Poco Diablo Resort in Spectacular Sedona, Arizona, September 12th - 14th 2008. Stay for a week if you can.

The City of Sedona deems our venue's maximum capacity to be 5,000. Therefore, the Raw Spirit Festival Will Sell Out! Already hundreds have confirmed, and virtually all of the 2500 participants from 2007 are returning. Places can only be reserved for participants via the RawSpirit.com's Registration Page. New and old Sponsors, Vendors, and Performers are also invited to apply on line.

Tickets On Sale Now for only $250 until December 31st![www.rawspiritfest.com]

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: December 13, 2007 09:21PM

I've been on a date kick for about 2 months

lots and lots and lots

david

Posted by: alliecatt ()
Date: December 13, 2007 09:39PM

Strangely I'm sitting here eating raw cauliflower (blended up with cashews! yum!) for the first time ever as I read this... lol

Allie =^..^=

[www.stronger.me.uk]

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: December 13, 2007 11:54PM

Bryan10,

Would you be willing to share the Mashed Taters recipe?

I have a number of raw recipe books but not sure I have anything like that in them. I need to check again.

Thank you.

Patty

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: December 14, 2007 12:09AM

I love raw cauliflower as well. I eat several heads a week. my health food store just started carrying two different varieties of organic cauliflower that are light purple and kind of a saffron orange color. They both have a very unique flavor and they look so beautiful mixed with deep red heirloom tomatoes and rich green Lacinto kale.

I've made the mashed taters by blending the cauli with a handful of soaked pine nuts, a tsp of oil, a clove of garlic and a bit of water to get the consistancy right.

Also, mincing the cauli in a food processor into tiny rice size pieces mixed with soaked chia seeds makes a nice faux sticky rice for nori rolls.

Posted by: daisyduke ()
Date: December 14, 2007 12:21AM

I love cauliflower too! Some days I try to eat just mono bananas, and I crave my cauliflower like crazy!

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: December 14, 2007 12:49AM

I love cauliflower, as well, but I have the same problem that pineapple girl mentioned--I get bloated from it. So, I don't eat it very often. :-(

As for eating what my body is telling me it wants, I've been doing that since going raw and it's great! I've gone through all kinds of different foods--it started off with lots of onions and chat masala, I think. I've had banana times, tomato and sweet pepper times, lemon and pine nuts, oh--and baby coconuts! Right now I am not craving anything, no matter how much I look at all of the veggies and fruits and nuts available. I was telling my husband just yesterday that I think I must have caught my body up on all the nutrients it needs. Now, however, I find myself wanting water more and more. I feel like my body would really love a water fast, but my mind isn't ready for that at this time.

Anyway, what causes the bloating with cauliflower? Does it happen with everyone?

Love,

Gypsy

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: December 14, 2007 02:53AM

Before I was raw, I loved cauliflower and tomatoes. Now, I seem to avoid them. and do not enjoy the taste at all. Maybe I have plenty of the nutrients in them in me.

david

Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: December 14, 2007 04:54AM

lots of great ideas, especially the mash.

i think i will take some raw cauliflower and puree it in the food processor, that sounds good.

altho i dont eat oils, and i dont eat nuts, but still...sound good just

processed plain, as is, maybe with some lemon juice.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: December 14, 2007 05:50AM

Thanks for the raw popcorn link (i wanna try it!!) and the mashed taters suggestion. Those are great ideas! I occasionally will mix a head of cauliflower with a Tbsp of soaked chia seeds in the food processor to make a raw rice for nori rolls. But then as I'm making it, I end up eating a lot of the cauli mix with a spoon. I eat mostly fruit myself, but there is something about the taste of cauliflower that I do love. It's probably not the easiest thing to digest, but it's so versatile. I've also seen raw hummus made by mixing cauliflower, lemon & tahini, etc.

Fun thread!

Love,
Uma

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: December 14, 2007 10:13AM

How long do you soak the chia seeds? I just bought some and they are mostly black. Is this right?

Date: December 15, 2007 06:16AM

yeah they're black. it doesn't take too long, only a few minutes, before the mix of chia and water turns to gelatinous goo. i had to experiment with how much water was necessary because the seeds soak the water up so fast, but then i don't want to add too much water to the cauli mix or it'll be too wet on the nori sheet. it's a fine balance!
love,
uma

Date: December 21, 2007 05:23AM

Oh wow, I made an exciting discovery tonight: cauliflower sticky rice (as described above) mixed with mashed avocado. YUM!

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: December 21, 2007 06:35PM

oooh yeah! I was thinking about this thread last night when I made the "mashed taters" I used an orange variety of Cauliflower and made a lime/cilantro "gravy". Served it (to myself) on a nest of Lacinto Kale...so yummy
...thought I'd be able to save some for lunch today, but I ended up eating the rest right out of the food-processor.

Date: December 21, 2007 07:46PM

HAHAH I do that too, I end up eating a lot of it right from the food processor as I'm making it. Then I try to make nori rolls but then I end up eating half of it from the bowl as I'm making them... so comes the idea to just chow down on a big bowl of cauli.

Haven't tried mashed taters yet, you mix the cauli with some kind of nut, right? I want to try the gravy thing, that sounds good.

The cauli rice with mashed avos was kind of reminiscent of baked potato mashed with butter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables