Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

anyone have any ideas on how to say 'no' to family members who insist on trying to get you to eat cooked foods?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 13, 2006 03:51PM

Hi All,

I am brand new to the raw foods lifestyle, and I am scared to death that I am going to go off of it due to family pressure to eat cooked. Does anyone have any ideas? I would really appreciate the help. Elizabeth

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: anyone have any ideas on how to say 'no' to family members who insist on trying to get you to eat cooked foods?
Posted by: deeds ()
Date: May 13, 2006 04:10PM

find out why they are pressuring you

and work on it from there

Re: anyone have any ideas on how to say 'no' to family members who insist on trying to get you to eat cooked foods?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 13, 2006 05:11PM

Yes.

Opinion:

-YOU bring food to family gatherings. Fresh cut fruit, veggie plates & dip.....whatever YOU like. Eat only from the food you bring.

-You can always stuff a couple of apples into your pocket when you know you are being invited to your local Italian Bistro.

-If anyone asks you to eat something else, just simply say, "I only eat fresh fruits & vegetables." Do not eleaborate unless it's one-on-one....in private....and some one asks you respectfully.

-If you go OUT...and the food in unacceptable....simply ask for water....say you are not hungry......and say I'm here to spend time with friends & family - not to eat."

-Just some suggestions which have worked for me.

-David Mason

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: May 13, 2006 08:47PM

Peer pressure is very strange. It's like they know really that what they are eating is bad for them, but if everyone is doing it, it's easier on their conscience. Once someone comes along and starts eating healthily, they start to feel guilty. If they manage to get you to eat their cooked food, it somehow eases their guilt. I'm not sure how that helps us, but it's good to understand the psycology of it.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Tashi ()
Date: May 13, 2006 09:26PM

I don't really talk about my eating habits, I say I am a vegetarian but I don't really elaborate. A lot of people don't understand or don't want to understand and there is no use trying to explain. iF someone asked I would say well I like to eat mainly raw food, fruits and vegetables but just don't give anyone some definition of your diet so they can attack it.

Posted by: josephsgirl ()
Date: May 13, 2006 10:06PM

tell them that this is how people ate a long time ago. people werent born 100's of years ago with pots and pans... smiling smiley they had fire, and yes they ate meat, but im sure they didnt eat stirfry or fried potatoes thousands of years ago. tell em your going back to your roots. way back winking smiley

lauren

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: May 13, 2006 11:28PM

you could tell a knock knock joke a la Trailer Park Boys...

You: Knock knock.
Them: Who's there?
You: F*#$ OFF!

But seriously, other people don't know how to think, at all, so if someone attacks you, tell them they can email you their thoughts or write out their reasoning in a prepared manner, at which point you will read those criticisms (and perhaps choose whether or not to respond).

Posted by: chickory ()
Date: May 14, 2006 03:49PM

Hi,
My experiences with other people's reaction to my diet causes me to agree with Rob. People trying to dissuade you from eating healthilier do not have your best interests at heart.
I have been looking for opportunities to socialize with people in ways that deemphasize food - working on neighborhood issues, volunteering, going to museams and concerts.
Family pressure is particularly insidious. They know how to push your buttons better than anyone else in the world.
I know this is not a solution for everybody, just talking about myself, but both my partner and I agree that it has been easier to maintain raw because both of us have no or limited contact with our families of origin (due to family abuse issues).
Also that we are doing it together, although it also creates stress on our relationship because we are each other's only in-person support for raw.
Chickory

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 15, 2006 02:22AM

Thanks for each of your wonderful suggestions! I'll let you know. Elizabeth

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables