Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sprouts and Rice Question
Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: May 15, 2006 05:03PM

Hello,
I am a "newbie" at this, so this is the first of many questions from me! My husband and I have been sprouting all sorts of beans, lentils, peas, etc. I am just curious if those provide the same amount of protein as they do when they are cooked? Maybe even more protein?

Also, I am starting to eat raw brown rice, and I really like it. How long should I soak it? Anything else I need to know about raw rice?

Thanks everyone. I love this website.

Kim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sprouts and Rice Question
Date: May 17, 2006 06:36PM

bump

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: May 17, 2006 06:49PM

I've sprouted wild rice before (wild rice isn't really a 'rice', it's a grass seed) and it was pretty nice. Not sure about sprouting regular rice, I guess it would be possible with brown rice. Try and soak it for 3 to 6 hours (or overnight), then rise and leave it some where covered to sprout. Rise it once or twice a day, and try to let it drip dry afterward (too much water/dampness makes it mold).

If you try it, let us know how it comes out.

Ian.

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: May 17, 2006 07:44PM

It is illegal to buy or sell any rice in this country, organic or otherwise, unless it has been sterilized. Therefore, your rice will NOT sprout. Amazing isn't it!!!! I don't know what process is used for sterilizing, but apparently it doesn't affect organic certification. It might however affect the enzyme content, and the rice will certainly not sprout.

I learned this unpleasant fact when I attempted to find some rice seed I could grow here in Hawaii. The State agricultural extension informed me; and I verified the information by calling Lundberg Farm, a well-known grower of organic brown rice.

I was told that the reason for sterilizing rice has something to do with attempting to control a disease that can spread and cause extreme damage to rice crops. (Or there may be some weird politics involved)

If you soak the rice, you may see some white ends begin to protrude, but that's just mush from soaking, and those ends will not grow.

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: May 17, 2006 07:58PM

Ally,

Actually, that's true, with the exception of wild rice, which is not a true rice. I know this because I've purchased sproutable wild rice from Grey Owl Foods the legal way.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Date: May 17, 2006 08:45PM

Very interesting! I had no idea rice had to be sterilized. Makes me not want to eat it so much anymore. Maybe I will make the change to "wild rice".

Also, do any of you know about the protein content of beans after they sprout? Does the protein content remain the same as when you cook the beans?

Namaste,
Kim

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: May 17, 2006 10:13PM

To Yogamama, Rawmark, and Sodoffsocks,

Sprouted wild rice sounds pretty good. I think I'll try it too. Thanks!

Maybe nutritiondata.com has info on protein content of cooked dried beans and sprouted beans.

-Ally

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: May 18, 2006 04:14PM

apparently you can easily get food poisoning from rice...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables