Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Need insight on common nutritional ratios
Posted by: jackie ()
Date: May 16, 2006 12:49PM

This subject always fascinated me. Let me give you an example:

research I've found states that the proper proportion of
Calcium to Phosphorus is 2.6 : 1.
Calcium to Potassium ideally is 4.2 : 1
Sodium to Magnesium is 4 : 1
Calcium to Magnesium is 7.1 : 1

OK, that's all well and good.

My daily consumption of mostly raw veggies and fruits gives me some conflicting information.

For example, this morning I had my typical green smoothie:
1 med apple
1 small banana
1 mango
1 cup parsley
3 cups spinach
2 tbs nutritional yeast - vegan blend
1.5 tsp maca root powder
2 tsp fresh ginger root
1 tsp cinnamon

This, which I would expect to give a good spectrum of nutrients in their proper proportion, gives me Calcium of 596 and Potassium of 1600.

Going along with the ideal intake of Calcium to Potassium of 4.2 : 1, well, I'm just totally confused! My typical daily intake is more like .4 : 1.

There's just a lot of potassium in fresh fruits and veggies!

The only one ratio that comes out close is the Sodium to Magnesium at 3.6 : 1. (The ideal is 4 : 1)

So, my questions are:

am I reading these ratios incorrectly, or
are they designed for supplements rather than whole foods?

Or perhaps are these ratios telling me I need to be supplementing because my natural intake of these nutrients is skewed by the foods I eat?

Since I feel great, I'm willing to just dismiss this whole topic, however, it's something that inquiring minds want to know more about...I'm mentally trapped...I really want more information on this whole ratio thing and how it relates to my mostly raw diet.

I was always under the impression (with no backup for this idea) that eating living foods would always just naturally provide the proper proportion of nutrients needed for (as close to) ideal health (as I can achieve.)

Any input would be appreciated!

I'm also posting this message on another forum, so if you see it again over there, don't be surprised!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need insight on common nutritional ratios
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: May 17, 2006 09:45AM

I cannot help on the ratios but I can give you the website to plug in your nutritional intake and it will give you an idea of what nutrients your are getting: [www.fitday.com]. Open a free account and then plug away.

I purchased the software from inside the free account so that I could access the info easier and it would be more personal.

Good luck.
Therese

Re: Need insight on common nutritional ratios
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 17, 2006 10:40AM

My phosphorus to calicum has probably been at 2 to 1 or 4 to 1 or higher for years.

Still better than most people's though. I think most grains are 8 or 10 to 1.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables