Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

what do 80/10/10 followers eat daily and how much?
Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: January 06, 2008 10:45PM

If youre 80/10/10 What do you typically eat for the day and evening? I havent got the book yet so Im wondering if what Im doing is at least close to the actual diet. I am not on a diet,I just eat raw, and i dont need to lose anymore weight, just want to eat healthy and wondering what 80/10/10 followers eat.Oh and how much?
Thanks,
rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what do 80/10/10 followers eat daily and how much?
Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: January 07, 2008 04:10AM

I'd just like to add a question about the 80 10 10. Is no fat optimum ? Or does Dr Graham recommend a little as a balance ?

Posted by: uti ()
Date: January 07, 2008 05:45AM

10 percent of your average daily calories should source from fats is what Graham advocates.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 07, 2008 06:40AM

I describe what I eat seasonally in a post I wrote last year called Re: My copy of The 80/10/10 Diet arrived today smiling smiley. When I wrote that post, I had been eating 100% raw for 5 years. Now it is 6 years. I am eating less leafy greens than before. But nowadays, I might eat more cruciferous vegetables or green beans. When I eat fat, it will typically be 1/4 cup of hemp seeds or sunflower seeds blended into a salad dressing or a pate. And, over the last 3 years, I will go to San Francisco 4-5 times a year, and indulge in some raw gourmet foods at the raw restaurants.

This year my salsa salad changed. I started using cucumber pasta instead of shredded celery.

Also this year my volume decreased a bit. It depends on if I am doing physical labor or not. On physical days, I eat more. On non-physical days, I might eat less sweet fruit at night. What is interesting is when I first started eating this way, I could eat a 21 pound watermelon in one day. In the link above, I was eating 14 pounds of watermelon. This year, I was only wanting 7-8 pounds of watermelon during the summer.

For people who are just beginning the raw diet, take into consideration that I've been all raw for many years. I didn't start out this way. When I first started 80/10/10, I tried 10% at first. It was great in that it rewarded me with a wonderful detox that healed me at a very deep level. But after that detox, I needed to bump up my fat intake to 20%, and after 2 years, my desire for fat dropped below 10%.

Some people choose to eat a little bit of fat everyday. This might look like a 1/4 avocado a day. Myself, I prefer to eat the whole avocado, so this means that I might only eat fat 1 day out of 4.

One other factor to consider is that the first 3 years of my 100% raw period, I lived in San Francisco, I commuted by car 2 hours a day, and I worked 60 to 70 hours a week. The last 3 years, I do some light construction, and mostly I take yoga classes, and I live in the country where it is sparsely populated and the air is very fresh and crisp. I am in the mountains typically 4 days a week. 2 days a week I am working outside, even in the winter.

Posted by: rrraw ()
Date: January 07, 2008 10:43AM

Today my plan is:

12 persimmons
12 bananas
2 cups of blueberries
1 head of iceberg lettuce
3 stalks of celery
3 carrots

No fat is not optimum. Practicing 811 diet correctly will give sufficient amounts of fat in healthy proportions. You can add a bit of fat to your meals, but not every day. I like eating some nuts (10-18) a couple of times a week.

Posted by: vegcase ()
Date: January 08, 2008 06:05AM

How do you eat your whole head of lettuce? Is this all in one meal? Or munched throughout the day? It just seems like a lot to me. I am a beginner, but still- I think when I make a big salad it is only about 1/4 of a head of lettuce... hmm

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 08, 2008 11:20PM

I am just learning about the 80-10-10 program. I am doing the 80-10-10 with the 21 Day Challenge, [www.fredericpatenaude.com] , I think it will really help me improve my eating habits!

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: January 10, 2008 03:45AM

Ok... I am finding the best diet for me includes loads of greens. I often have a vege juice a day, and always have a salad. I've found that adding fruit to my salads is the ticket to making them interesting without fats or other additions.

I had a salad today that was high green leafies with a bit of celery and herbs but to make it flavourfull to eat I added tomato, banana, papau and a little avocado. All I can say is it was awsome smiling smiley. I also drink smoothies with greens and bananas etc. The more greens I take in a day the better I seem to feel.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: January 10, 2008 03:52AM

I do somewhere around what Doug talks about. If I eat higher than 10% fat my digestion and elimination seem to slow down and I get backed up and symptomatic and then naturally fall back to lower fat.

I tend to mono eat sweet fruit 2 or 3 meals a day, then a couple/few times a week I'll make something fancier --a veg/fat meal for dinner like nori rolls with avocado or a salad with dressing or a seed/veggie pate. A typical day in the summer might look like watermelon all day long, then figs for dinner, or watermelon all day long then salsa/guacamole for dinner. A typical winter day might be OJ for breakfast, persimmons for lunch and persimmons for dinner, or persimmons for lunch, then OJ followed by nori rolls for dinner. Also in the colder months I include some dates in my diet although these haven't been feeling so good recently.I snack on nuts every once in a while. I eat less greens in the summer but a lot (one to many heads of lettuce a day) in the winter.

An important discovery for me was food combining and that if I'm going to eat a fat meal, to have it at the END of the day with no sweet fruit afterwards (except maybe some citrus). Also, the next morning I delay my sweet fruit eating or there's a science experiment gone wrong in my gut! If I'm really hungry for brekky after a fat dinner night, I'll have some citrus.

It took some learning but nowadays I can eat a large amount of fruit throughout the day.

Hats off to you Roadrunner for doing so much research and asking so many Qs!
Love,
Uma

Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: January 10, 2008 04:42PM

I tend to go for fruit in the day and veggies in the evening.
If my house is stocked with fruit and greens it's all good - otherwise I consume some staples like nori and dried fruit.

yesterday I ate

oranges and clementines in the day

and in the evening I had 6 bananas blended with some raisins and some carob.
Also 2 tomatoes, nori with carrot and brocolli.

--------------------------------------------------

[www.azurastorch.blogspot.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables