Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

what are your exceptions?
Posted by: blissmummy ()
Date: May 17, 2006 03:17PM

I'm always curious what cooked foods people eat when they say they're mostly raw, are they definite foods, say you eat nutritional yeast and blackstrap molasses, or a mix of things...so I'm curious if you have been eating "mostly raw" (or almost all raw, basically) for quite awhile, what do you make exceptions for?

I'm personally planning on going all raw, cuz it'd be easier for me, but I am interested in other people's ways.

Imagine if we were all living together in community, how much we'd learn just by living with each other...how interesting THAT would be!!

I AM yearning for community for me and baby, by the way...I recently lived on the Big Island of Hawaii for awhile, grand, didn't want to leave, but I felt the sort of community felt in the air sort-of evaporate once I had the baby...I'm sure that wouldn't have lasted, though, once I could get out and about again...

peace

Adrienne

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what are your exceptions?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 17, 2006 04:08PM

I've been back and forth on strict raw, and even on strict raw I usually feel okay to have some blackstrap molasses. I go back and forth about the nutritional yeast. I think it is important to get very high quality nutritional yeast.

As a veggan, sometimes cooked eggs (organic free range only) because raw eggs gross me out usually. But even the organic label is meaning less and less these days after the Horizon organics scandal. I only want cruelty-free eggs. (Veggan is vegan other than exception of eggs.)

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: May 17, 2006 08:54PM

What was the Horizon organics scandal? I haven't read about that yet.

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: May 17, 2006 10:27PM

To 24 Carrots,

I'd also like to know what was the Horizon scandal? Didn't they just discontinue their soybean baby formula? Does that have anything to do with the scandal?

If they got caught using nonorganic ingredients and their certification was pulled, couldn't that be an indication that organic certification is working as it should?

-Ally

Date: May 17, 2006 10:30PM

I remember hearing talk of organic certification lowering its standards...

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: May 17, 2006 10:42PM

For me, everything is raw, other than:

- Nama Shoyu
- Miso
- Beer
- Single malt Scotch

I'm playing with replacing Beer with cider (which is raw). The Scotch thing, will, if it's over 10 years since it was heated does it still count...? ;-) I use a little Nama Shoyu in salad dressing a few times a week. Miso I use then making something cheesy tasting, which is once a week or one every few weeks.

Ian.

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: May 17, 2006 10:47PM

Everyone’s definition of rawfoods is different and or the foods they chose to eat.
Some people do and some people don’t eat miso, stevia, fermented foods, nama shoyu, sprouts, herbs, honey, raw apple cider vinegar, dried fruits, hummus, cacao beans (chocolate), raw carob, raw sugarcane, raw maple syrup, agave nectar, lecithin, seaweeds and Celtic sea salt.

I've had some of these above but in moderation or trial (I just started eating sprouts).

Why Vegan?
Because I have the most love and admiration for all animals of the earth!!!
a rawvegan hopeful, rawdev4life!!!

Date: May 18, 2006 12:09AM

just to mention maple syrup isn't raw, it is made from raw maple sap, which is much waterier and more diluted...

thanks everyone for posting!

I thought nama shoyu could be raw, the raw kind...are you saying it isn't or that you use regular stuff, Ian? And is hard cider raw?? And I can appreciate your scotch viewpoint :~) though baby and I will stay away from it...

smileys and sunsets
Ade

Posted by: GyroGirl ()
Date: May 18, 2006 03:10AM

other than all raw veggies, fruits, or nut butters, I enjoy:

-hummus
-baba ganhouj
-brown rice
-cooked oats
-dark chocolate (maybe once a month)
-red wine
-oils, my fave being hemp seed
-dried friuts and veggies

I sprout lentils okay but have been hesitant with the chickpeas, otherwise I think I'd be set. Perhaps I should practice as I've made enjoying hummus more of a habit. Or maybe I should just stick to raw tahini...

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: May 18, 2006 03:38PM

Hi Adrienne,

normally soy sauce is made by first steaming soy beans, the mainly difference with Nama Shoyu and the normal stuff, is that Nama Shoyu isn't pasturized before bottling. I've recently heard it's possible to make soy sauce by blending soy beans rather than steaming, but I've not heard anything about modern soy sauces being made this way. I'd be happy to find out Nama Shoyu doesn't use steamed beans, but I have a feeling it does.

As for the cider, I think it depends on the brand, I notice Wyder's cider is made from concetrated apple/fruit juice. But true cider can only be made raw, since it's made from wild yeast with is naturally on the apples, any heating or washing of the apples will remove the yeast. Whole Foods has some nice french and english style ciders which should be raw.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: cfd7f ()
Date: May 18, 2006 03:45PM

Nama Shoyu, Maple Syrup, Cocoa powder, stevia sweet leaf, and miso (oh how I love my miso)

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: May 18, 2006 04:12PM

I seem to manage raw except for rice cakes. I don't have a dehydrator & I like the crunchy texture for raw homous and raw pates.
When I'm with non raw friends I tend to eat healthy cooked food...but try to eat as much raw as i can...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables