Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Young coconut water fast?!
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: January 14, 2008 06:42AM

I really love coconut water. Loooove it. It's my new energy drink (not that I drank energy drinks before, ha ha). It's also supposedly insanely nutritious--electrolytes, vitamins, minerals--and it's something my body is craving right now.

I can feel I'm also due for a short-term fast--some digestive problems I had earlier in the year linked to medication are resurfacing, I think my body's trying to heal--but either way, I could use the digestive rest and rejuvenation.

I suppose this would fall somewhere between a water and a juice fast? The idea sounds very appealing and yummy. I've even mastered smashing the coconuts with a hammer as to not spill a drop of water (only the boyfriend is strong enough to use my meanest knife ^.^;winking smiley.

What are your thoughts? =)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Young coconut water fast?!
Posted by: Ryan ()
Date: January 14, 2008 06:46AM

but what will you do with all that delicious coconut meat?

young coconuts are awesome, infact, i'm gonna crack mine open tomorrow, been waiting all week!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 14, 2008 06:49AM

Coconut water is great to drink during a juice fast. It should not be the only thing you drink. For optimal results, do a juice fast with mostly Green Juices, with small amounts of fruit juices and coconut water in between the green juice. Also... the fast is the perfect time for enemas, colonics, and herbs / herbal teas

Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: January 14, 2008 10:47AM

When I get the young coconuts locally (Tidal Creek Co-op in Wilmington, N.C.), they come with a good amount of white husk.

I realized that, with some good technique (I score the husk with a sharp knife and then peel), I can peel the coconut husk off. Once it's off, there is always a spot on the bottom (the side that sits flat on the counter with the husk on (as opposed to the peaked/pointed side) that is not solid coconut shell. It is the spot where the coconut fills the nut and later seals the nut with meat, kinda like the belly button for us, I guess. After peeling, if you poke the tip of a knife into the meat, you can cut it out and easily pour it out. No risk of losing a single drop of water.

Then I use the broad side of a hammer to smack it and get a good horizontal break.

Thanks for the post. I think I might head to Tidal creek today to get some more!

Love,
Paul

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Date: January 14, 2008 04:02PM

I love the meat, too, so I was thinking about scraping all the coconuts and just freezing the meat--perhaps to make a raw dessert, or just to snack on later.

I'll experiment with finding the coconut "bellybutton."

I'll keep you posted when I try to fast, I suppose, but there are a lot of delicious perishables in my fridge that I have to eat, first. I'll also probably look insane loading up a shopping cart of young coconuts at the market. >8)

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: January 14, 2008 08:00PM

I think Jenna has the best video on how to open a young coconut.

[30daysraw.com] - scroll down to episode 14

Karen DeVeaux
[www.healingtype1diabetes.typepad.com]

Date: January 30, 2008 04:40PM

I thought I'd just post an update here in case anyone was interested--I've finally gotten around to starting my young coconut water fast!!

I'm on day 2, and I have to say, I FEEL AMAZING. Better than mono-banana (that made me listless and thirsty), better than mono-orange (very cold and very hungry, 20 oranges/day), and better than water fasting (dead and in bed ^.^).

Yesterday I drank the water of 9 young coconuts, and had a bit of filtered water before bed. So far, I've had four today, and I'm trying to drink a little more water, mostly because I don't want to drive 20 minutes to the Asian market again. X.X

My head is incredibly clear, my whole body just feels very happy and good, and my energy levels are in the sky! I did have a lovely nap yesterday and went to bed early... and woke up successfully early on my own today.

I do have some serious elimination going on. Since I've gone raw, my tongue has been consistently pink, except for during my mono-cleanses... and right now, it is FOUL. No amount of water or brushing/rinsing will get rid of the foulness in my mouth. So, the coconuts are working.

I've also experienced no real hunger, only cravings for absolute nonsense food. Yesterday, in the afternoon, it was greasy vegetable lo-mein and deep fried orange tofu (a staple of my high school diet I haven't touched for a few years), pickles with hot sauce (uhh?), and fried noodles. Hopefully all of the bad tissues my body built with those things are being deleted...

I should also add, I've been freezing the meat in a big container, either to make some kind of pudding, or a coconut cream pie. Some of the really young ones have purple flesh, and it kind of looks like squid, in the container. O.o I've also mastered the art of opening the coconuts, yay!!

This is highly recommendable for anyone wanting to mono with access to an Asian market. I get mine @ 2/$3, which is actually more affordable than the mono-orange I did.

Oh, so yummy. <3

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: January 31, 2008 06:15PM

Wow! I wish I would have thought about doing a coconut water feast when I was in love with coconuts in the beginning of going raw! You sound like you are doing great with it!

I'm pretty sure that the purple flesh means the coconut was bad. Maybe others can tell you for certain. I have always discarded any coconut water and flesh when there is a hint of pink and definitely when there was purple. Can anyone who knows a lot post information on this? I'd like to know if I was wrong and I'm sure phantom would want to know if the purple ones aren't good for consumption.

Keep us updated on how things are going!

Lots of love to you,

Wendi Dee
XOXO

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: January 31, 2008 06:47PM

I've noticed a purpleish hue in some coconut meat, but only when it's the really young "spoon meat". I never thought it was bad at all. I've always eaten it and never had any problems....but that's just my opinion.

Aloha, Greg

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 25, 2008 06:22AM

This is an interesting mono eat feast.

phantom -- How long did you mono eat the fresh young coconut juice ?

Date: March 25, 2008 02:13PM

(not quite) Three (full) days. angry smiley

I'd love to go again for longer. I felt so awesome. My attention span, right now, doesn't really extend beyond that point for a mono-anything.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 25, 2008 03:48PM

yummmmmm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables