Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Iron Deficiency
Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: May 17, 2006 06:36PM

What should I eat to increase my iron? Should I juice a bunch of greens? Which ones are the best for juicing? How do all of you avoid an iron deficiency?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Iron Deficiency
Posted by: Jose ()
Date: May 18, 2006 12:16AM

You can use [www.nutritiondata.com] to check for nutrients contained in food.

for Iron, in vegetables, you have [www.nutritiondata.com]

Things like lentils and chickpeas also contain significant amounts of Iron.

Cheers,
J

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: May 18, 2006 02:42AM

I found out from www.nutritiondata.com that whole sesame seeds are high in iron - 1/4 cup will account for 28% of the daily requirement if I'm figuring it right. If you go to www.nutritiondata.com, be sure to check the serving size at the top of the page for each food. For sesame seeds, the serving size is 1 cup (!) equaling 116% DV iron.

Also, parsley is high in iron (1 cup has 21% DV). It is also high in vitamin A (1 cup has 101% DV, and vitamin K (1 cup has 1230% (!) DV). Fresh raw parsley is great in a salad and might be good juiced.

Raw wheat germ is also high in iron (1/2 cup has 20% DV), and it is high in practically everything else too. Raw wheat germ is also very delicious in a salad.

Date: May 18, 2006 02:08PM

Thank you so much for all the info. I will check out that website, and I do have raw wheat germ in my pantry already, so that will be added to my diet each day. And parsely...I will add it to my fresh salads from our garden!

Thanks - Kim

Posted by: nik ()
Date: May 18, 2006 07:40PM

I think for raw foods, pumpkin seeds are really good. 1 Cup has 115% of Iron.

You have to watch out for things that reduce the absorption of the iron. Hmm, like calcium and anti-oxidants. Ain't it a B*****! I love tea. White tea, Green Tea, Rooibos, Mint tea, etc. etc. But eh these teas reduce the absorption of iron from like 40-90%. If taken at the same time as the high iron food or meal. So I don't drink with meals anymore. It's a pain. And vitamin C and citric acid increases the absorption.

Pumpkin pate made with orange juice perhaps? Of course pumpkin seeds are generally rancid and taste like shelf dust 100% of the time I have tried them....

Sigh!

Date: May 18, 2006 08:20PM

Good to know about the tea! I drink tea all day long! And I do like raw pumpkin seeds, so I will just eat more of them. Thanks for the info.

Kim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables