Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Organic Oranges and Grapefruits
Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: January 23, 2008 12:59AM

I can't remember who told me about [www.flnaturalcitrus.com] and the good deal on their organic fruits, but I wanted to say thanks! The guy I ordered from was super nice and he has already shipped my order (in less than 24 hours!).

I have a question, though!! What happens if we don't eat them all fast enough? My husband doesn't eat strictly organic, so we also have a case of oranges and grapefruits coming at the end of this week from someone he ordered from within his office. UGH!

Are there any suggestions on preserving any of them? Can I make some kind of sorbet for the freezer? I already plan on having a lot of smoothies with the oranges, so that will be a way to eat a lot of them. What else, though? ;-)

Lots of love to all of you,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Organic Oranges and Grapefruits
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 23, 2008 01:31AM

If you keep them refrigerated in small batches / containers...they will stay well for at least a couple of weeks. Watch the batches for that green mold that seems to love citrus so. You can certainly make sorbet or freeze them - if frozen items are on your health agenda. Juicing them is always a quick way to turn 4 lbs of oranges into a couple of big glasses! smiling smiley Have fun.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: January 23, 2008 04:21AM

I just threw out like 4lbs of oranges. And it was because when I bought them, I put them in the plastic baggies, tied a knot in it and when I got home I put them in my fridge like that. So they were covered in mold.. unlike the ones that I took out of the bag and put on the shelf on the refridgerator door.

Date: January 23, 2008 04:26AM

I love oranges. I want some.

How many pounds is 3/4 of a bushel?

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: January 23, 2008 04:53AM

POPCICLES!!!!!!!!

Here is one of my most FAVORITEST recipies in the world. Ok I know favoritest is not a word.... but it's good, trust me!

"Banorpple"

3 oranges
2 apples
1 banana
Optional: Frontier vanilla extract

Juice together and either drink, or freeze in popcicle trays. It's a great way to make oranges "disappear!"

Angie

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: January 23, 2008 06:41AM

I also ordered from www.flnaturalcitrus.com and had the same great experience you did - super nice fellow, quick service. And you are in for a treat because the oranges are simply delicious. Completely organic and what's even better, they are tree-ripened.

Anyhow, I don't know how many pounds to 3/4 bushel but the oranges fit in the two bottom drawers of my older refrigerator. I ordered half satsumas and half navels, juiced the satsumas and even some of the navels.

Yum Yum Yum. I'm going to eat one of the navel oranges now for a very late dinner.

I just remembered, last time I looked on his site, the grapefruits weren't organic. Be sure to check before you order.

You probably could make orange sorbet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2008 06:43AM by greenie.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: January 23, 2008 05:26PM

There's nothing like a GIANT glass of juice for breakfast. Mmm. I had one today. ^.^

Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: January 24, 2008 02:32PM

I can personally vouch for Uncle Matt's Organic Florida oranges. Very prompt shipping and Incredibly jubilant/fresh oranges. Not eat them fast enough.....??? Sounds like the perfect way to make a friend. Offer them the most divine of fruits.

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Date: January 24, 2008 05:52PM

Thanks for all of the great replies. They aren't here, yet--every time I hear a deliver truck I run to see if the oranges are arriving! :-D

I'm thinking I'm not going to have a difficult time consuming all of them, especially since I like to blend them with bananas. If I create any recipes, I'll try to remember to share them.

Lots of love to all of you!

Wendi
XOXOXO

Date: January 25, 2008 03:56PM

What are Hamlins like? I've never seen those before.

I'm not crazy about Navels. I find them..blah. Actually what I usually do is mix oranges when I juice or blend because bloods are too sweet but they make navels taste better. lol. I like Valencias and havent seen those yet anywhere.

Date: January 25, 2008 10:38PM

The box arrived! I have to admit I was disappointed by the number in the box. On the Web site it shows a box overflowing with oranges and if you count them and estimate how many are in the box, it's quite a bit. The boxes actually come with three trays to keep the fruits from being crushed, I guess. It ended up being soooo much more than buying the same amount of organic oranges at the co op.

BUT..........

WOW! They are so alive and juicy and yummy!!!

Are they worth 2-3X the amount that I pay for the other organic oranges? Yes, and no. If I have extra money, it would be worth it. When the budget is tight it's probably better to get the less fresh organic ones from the co op.

I'll write more on my blog about this (with pics)...I have to run right now, though.

Wendi
XOXOXO

www.purejeevan.com/blog <=== but it won't be updated until later this evening when I return

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2008 10:40PM by GypsyArdor.

Date: January 26, 2008 03:30AM

I updated our blog and put pictures of the organic fruit there, as well. The taste difference is AMAZING! The freshly picked, organic, perfectly ripe oranges are even so much better than the the organic oranges we normally purchase from our food co op!

There weren't as many in the box as I thought, so we don't have to worry about any of them going bad. We'll be able to finish them in less than a week! ;-)

Wendi
XOXOXO

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables