Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

For those who supplement How do you get in your supplements?
Posted by: nik ()
Date: May 18, 2006 09:15PM

I could care less about those who don't like supplements. I just want to hear from those who are taking them.

I take some supplements. Esp. food and herb extracts like grape seeds, oregano, olive leaf, and other herbs etc. plus some maca, msm, enzymes etc.

However I am not big on a high intake of vegetable cellulose (the caps). Not only that but I have a hard time actually taking the supplements I buy because of the caps. I put them in my mouth, take a sip of water, tilt my head back and everytime as I'm about to swallow I get paranoid about it going down right and get a reflex of closing my throat in the back to prevent it from going down. It takes me like 5-10 tries for each cap to get it down, and usually once it does it does scrape part of my throat causing soreness there.

Some of them I can just open up and put into a smoothie or something. But I don't drink smoothies all the time or everyday, and a lot of them have too strong of flavors that they would just ruin the taste of a smoothie or drink.

Are there other or better ways of just getting them in me without having to swallow dozens of little vegetable cellulose capsules? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: For those who supplement How do you get in your supplements?
Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: May 18, 2006 09:47PM

I sometimes eat them buy stuffing them in a date. Any kind, medjool, bahri, deglect noor, zahini, desert maza, golden zhadi, honey date, etc. It goes down smooth...

Date: May 18, 2006 10:10PM

You can't edit these posts. Sorry I didn't mean I don't care about people who don't like supplements, I just meant that I don't care that there are people who are against them. I don't want to get into a conversation about weather to take them or not, just about 'how' to take them best and the easiest way to.

rawdev, you actually eat the capsule? Isn't it hard? And wouldn't you still taste the stuff inside if you chew it up like that?

Maybe I should just dumb them all in a bit of water and chug it down like a shot and chase it with something. I'll have to try it to see how bad it is first.

LOL!

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: May 19, 2006 01:38AM

can't you take a lot of that stuff in powder form? like Nf superfood, etc? Just chuck it in a smoothie..?

Posted by: blissmummy ()
Date: May 19, 2006 02:17PM

I usually chew something up, like a date, THEN pop the suppleymentee in my mouth and swallow. ta-daa!

A

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: May 22, 2006 12:55PM

Depends. I use maca powder, hemp seed, E3 Live and a few other things. I'm not into vitamins but I do take a b12 vitamine. E3 live is mixed in with smoothies or taken straight. Maca, Hemp Seed, Coconut Oil are usually mixed in with smoothies that I make throughout the day. My b12 vitamin just gets washed down with water.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Posted by: Jen Rose ()
Date: May 22, 2006 08:40PM

I take E3 Live too, and a shot of pure cranberry juice...plus some enzymes if something doesn't agree with me.

Posted by: jono ()
Date: May 27, 2006 11:44AM

im not big on supplements but i do take some fish oil and olive leaf extract... and i drink herbal teas.

for the olive leaf extract, ive been adding them to my smoothies. i cant think of a better way. if fruit smoothies arent your thing... try green smoothies. i switched from all-fruit smoothies to green smoothies a couple days ago and im already hooked. with green smoothies, ive found pears work better than apples (apples are too sweet), i plan to experient with mangos and other fruits. greens so far have been dandelion greens and parsley...

Posted by: blissmummy ()
Date: May 27, 2006 12:16PM

I recently read some good answers to my question of how and when to take stuff (breastfeeding and wanting to take certain things) in Cousens' *Conscious Eating*--he notes that some minerals things get in the way of each other, particularly calcium which should be taken before bedtime, and iron which should be taken a half hour before the evening meal. ("should"...may be best) Other supplements like greens powder or vitamins, etc., with the earlier meals... in a short synopsis. Helpful! Also mentions that some multivitamins actually inhibit the body's absorption of certain things...

yeah, I always felt like vitamins were kinda not right, it's like, why eat...

recently I listened to Shazzie on RawVeganRadio (check it out!) who now has a toddler, she recommends taking lots of superfoods and also supplementing vitamins D and B12 (D if you live in Northern Climate like I do in Canada...)

peace all

Date: May 27, 2006 06:25PM

I love fruit smoothies, I just don't want them to taste like crap by putting a bunch of pungent herbs and extracts in them.

Posted by: marika ()
Date: June 01, 2006 12:45AM

I don't know if this will help, but have you checked out Healthforce Nutritionals? They have a bunch of different superfoods. check out HealthForce.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables