Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sharing the fridge
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: January 25, 2008 03:40PM

So, my roommate and I share what is unfortunately a very small fridge. I've never had any problems with it before, until this morning, I found some chicken defrosting against my pack of strawberries. >.<

I've heard somewhere that it's more sanitary to keep meat in its own drawer. Normally, he'll take it out of the fridge completely to let it defrost, so I've never been in this situation.

Is this something I should worry about, or no? Could I still eat the strawberries? =\

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sharing the fridge
Posted by: brokenbrooke ()
Date: January 25, 2008 11:40PM

i would be very cautious due to salmonella. if you think any chicken could have infiltrated your strawberries i would just throw them out. you can also ask your roomie to defrost in a pan or glass dish so there is no fear of cross contamination.
b.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 25, 2008 11:48PM

It depends. Do you think germs CAUSE disease...or simply take advantage of situations that need cleaning up? Heh..heh.

Straight answer: If it concerns you, throw them out, and just make sure to lay some ground rules...or get your own cooler or cheap fridge for fresh produce. If it doesn't concern you...and disease is not in your agenda...then just rinse them well. I'm sure you'll be fine (just my opinions).

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: January 26, 2008 01:13AM

I agree with David... they should be fine to eat after a thorough rinsing. In lieu of purchasing your own fridge maybe you and your roommate could split the fridge (i.e. you take the top two shelves and he takes the bottom two etc.)

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 26, 2008 03:16PM

If one Refrigerator is used by two people with different Diets, I would imagine there's always going to be a problem. When I use to visit a friend in NY, I always ate her diet and never used the frig for mine. Felt pretty good, too. She follows Doug Graham's 80/10/10 Diet and we always ate a lot of Fruit.......WY

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: January 26, 2008 08:39PM

I haven't thought about disease and my agenda, which is a good point. I did get rid of the strawberries, and made some subtle rearrangements so all of his meat was on one side and my produce on the other. The fridge is seriously so small, there are only two shelves and one drawer. X.X

I just wanted to make sure my concerns were legitimate before having THE TALK. Hehe. Thanks, everyone.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: January 26, 2008 09:00PM

I don't use the fridge anymore myself. This may be an option to consider also. Store food in a basement or a garage if its cooler or just anywhere. Considering I buy food every 2-3 days this works well with no fridge. Maybe an idea for future troubles??

Date: January 26, 2008 10:11PM

tanawana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't use the fridge anymore myself.

How do you keep Celery, and Broccoli, from going Limp? I use
large plastic containers, rather than Green Bags, to store
my vegetables. One 'trick' I use is to put a folded Paper Towel
in the containers. It absorbs the moisture and keeps everything
Fresh longer......WY

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: January 26, 2008 10:39PM

I was talking for "fruit" storage mainly, to cut down on fridge space to help. I shop every 2-3 days also and am very fruit predominant and don't let anything sit around unless it is ripening. If I would buy veggies or something that needed the fridge, I'd utilize the fridge as needed though.

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: January 27, 2008 11:25PM

I'd get my own minifridge. I did that in college even though I shared a large fridge for some things with all the others who shared the large victorian with me. It saved me a lot of headaches as well as heartaches. The minifridges are cheap enough and easy to fit in the corner of your room. I used it as a night stand.

Date: January 28, 2008 12:15AM

gorillawar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd get my own minifridge....It saved me a lot of headaches
> as well as heartaches.

I guess you stored the expensive Fruit in the
minifridge and the Greens in the Community Refrigerator?
I can just see you now after someone ate a box of your
delicious Strawberries by mistake.....WY

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: January 28, 2008 06:43AM

It actually was strawberries that started the first problems that led to me getting my own fridge. Noone really touched my salad stuff but the fruit was occasionally a problem. My philosophy had always been "If you don't buy it, don't eat it." but not all shared it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables