Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Pinapple
Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: January 29, 2008 02:05AM

Wow, I have been eating mono fruit during the day for quite some time now about 2 months, and sweet fruits only, mostly bananas, actually bananas and apples, occasionally raisins. then a salad for dinner. Well tonight I had this "brilliant" idea to cut up a whole pinapple and put it in my greens instead of tomatos. BIG MISTAKE!! my tongue is STILL burning!! And my lips. I know pinapple is an acid fruit but damn!! Plus my stomach feels strange, like it doesnt like or want pinapple at ALL!! I mean it tastes great but BURNS my mouth!
And pinapple dont taste good with greens, For some reason I thought it would but it doesnt to me. I will stick with sweet fruit only now, wow. It shouldnt be a combining issue because greens mix with anything and it had been about 3 hours since my last banana, but I did however eat probably 30 plus bananas today. I worked 12 hours and worked my ass off too so I kept eating the bananas.I know youre not supposed to mix acid fruit with sweet fruit maybe since I ate so many bananas today I still had enough bananas in my system that it mixed with the pinapple. I also ate a bunch of raw broccoli and it didnt settle well either. I was just trying new things and looks to be I like the way ive been eating so Ill stick to that. sweet fruits in the day and greens for dinner. Maybe Im allergic to broccoli? Im feeling better now but I was a little woozy for a while after the broccoli. Now I see the importance of mono eating! Tropical fruits are great for you but too acidic, I love kiwis but same problem, too acid!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pinapple
Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: January 29, 2008 02:14AM

Roadrunner,

If you dont buy a really sweet pineapple they can be hard on the tongue and the teeth.I dont buy them until they are in season mainly the hottest time of year.
I am not a big fan of them you can buy one thinking they will be sweet and zap you get a really acid one.Last summer I grew a few and have some growing now the ones I got fresh from my yard all were sweet no acid taste i waited till they were ripe to pick em.

Cherimoya

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 29, 2008 02:29AM

Yeah...unripe pineapple is tough on a guy! Ha! ha! And you are right: mono-eating....or at least good food combining....can go a long way to ease digestive problems. Just my experiences.

Oh: You can try cutting up your pineapple and letting it 'mellow' overnight in the fridge. It might help. That and/or rinsing the stuff prior to eating.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: uma ()
Date: January 29, 2008 03:59AM

Yeah I found this out too, that I can't usually eat more than a bite of pineapple cuz it's so hard to get it really ripe here. But I had some really ripe stuff in Costa Rica and it was much much less acidic and I could actually eat several slices without the burn.

Love,
Uma

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: January 29, 2008 06:20AM

Indeed, so much of the pineapple that is shipped to the mainland is not ripe. We grow a variety called Maui Gold which is low acid. Most people who are usually sensitive to the acid of pineapple really enjoy it. Once you try a ripe low acid pineapple you will never want to eat another variety. Unfortunately it's the acid in the pineapple that allows for it to be shipped long distances without rotting too quickly...Kind of a catch-22. I know that Whole Foods on the west coast sells our Maui Gold pineapple or you can order it on-line, but it's very expensive... I think it's $60 for 25lbs (6 pineapples) plus a $19 fedex shipping.

The other option is to visit Maui and I'll pick you a few for free! (it'll only cost you the airfare).

Aloha nui loa, Greg

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: January 29, 2008 04:50PM

I've learned the hard way too that pineapple has to be ripe. My mouth inside and out have been red and inflamed from eating unripe pineapple.

Maui Greg, don't tempt me!!! I just ran out of Vit D sad smiley and would give my right arm to eat pineapple in the bright Maui sun with you. Sigh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2008 04:52PM by Dulset.

Posted by: gonenuts ()
Date: January 30, 2008 01:37AM

I find juicing the pineapple with an orange fantastic!, Maui Greg, We're bringing the kids to "the big Island" in April, cannot wait to eat all the fruit, it's cold here in NY, but the Pineapple is Sweet.

Date: January 30, 2008 01:52AM

Aloha gonenuts... I'm sure i would have gone nuts if i had to endure another North eastern winter... I lived in Vermont for years! There are a couple of members on the forum who live on the Big Island of Hawaii...suncloud and DreamEarth... they are very nice folks. I'm sure if you sent them a message they might be able to recommend some cool stuff for you and the family. In april you might start to find some local mangos, papayas and bananas are year round!

Have fun!

aloha nui loa, Greg

Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: January 30, 2008 04:43AM

uhm, yes,,,pineapple has to be fully ripe to be able to eat it without having your mouth bleed.

the bane of my existance, cause i could live on ripe pineapple 24-7 forever.

but its not always picked ripe and put out at the grocery store that way.

Posted by: redstar_38 ()
Date: January 30, 2008 04:46AM

So how DO you pick the perfect pineapple at the store?

Re: Pineapple at store
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 03, 2008 06:00PM

I look for healthy leaves...green, not moldy and brown.
The skin has no bruises or mold.
There is a yellowing or golden color. not all green. the best is if you can smell a hint of that wonderful pineappley fragrance!

I was in a chain grocery store in Honolulu yesterday and saw what was marketed as "low acid pineapple" It was moldy and the leaves were dead. What up with that?

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 03, 2008 06:19PM

Call me ignorant, but I never knew this about pineapple! I've never had a problem with it. I just bought one and can't wait to get home and blend half of it with a banana and some tangerines!

What I've noticed about pineapple is that the first few bites are especially heavenly! But then, as I eat more of it, the taste changes and eventually my body/tongue just says, "I've had enough, thank you." It's never burned my mouth though. I'm sorry that happened to you.

The one I bought looks like the way Kimiko described it. Now I'm looking forward to it even more!

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: March 03, 2008 08:44PM

I've only had that "pineapple burn" once in my life. Until then, I never knew what people were talking about when they mentioned it! I've been craving almost nothing but pineapple since Christmas, and I only wish that I lived in Hawaii (rather than Canada) so I could eat them right off the tree!

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: March 03, 2008 10:15PM

lol, i ate a whole pinapple last night and i know what you mean! tongue sticking out smiley. I enjoyed it though, just made my tongue feel funny for a while afterward. I just got a craving. Along with raw onion - go figure. So my mouth felt a bit funny after having those (not together, a few hours apart)

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 04, 2008 01:47AM

the enchantress Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I only wish that I lived in Hawaii
> (rather than Canada) so I could eat them right off
> the tree!

no trees... the pineapple is the fruit of a herbaceous plant

[www.travelblog.org]

i just didn't want you to show up in Hawaii looking UP for fresh pineapples, when you need to be looking DOWN. smiling smiley

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: March 04, 2008 02:25AM

Lol...some raw foodist I am winking smiley. I thought for sure they grew on trees...

Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: March 04, 2008 06:59AM

enchantress, you were probably thinking of money!!

Date: March 04, 2008 09:41AM

This is probably an appropriate thread to share some of my pineapple pics.

These were all taken in the last few weeks on West Maui... the last two are very interesting in that it is thought that pineapple no longer reproduce from seed.

1.) This is what the fields look like a day or so after planting the crowns. The crowns are just the leaves from the top of the pineapple. The crowns are saved from fruit that is juiced to plant for the next crop. (East end of Molokai in the distance)

2.) This is a different field that was planted about four months ago. (West end of Molokai in the distance)

3.) This is what is referred to as precocious fruit. It describes individual fruits that ripen way before the rest of the field. The good news is that I can take as many of these as I can find because they will rot before the harvesting gang comes through to harvest the field when it is at a more uniform ripeness.

4.) This pineapple is 3-4 months away from being ready.

5.) This one is perfectly field ripe and ready for harvest...about an 18 month span from planting to harvest with an occasional second harvest called a ratoon in another 8-12 months.

6.) These last two are pictures of pineapple in a wooded area that hasn't been in pineapple cultivation for at least 15 years. I took these pictures while mapping the location of a recreational hiking trail and now there is a ground cover of "wild" or "feral" pineapples.

I think they are such amazing and beautiful plants....and tasty too!

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Date: March 04, 2008 05:11PM

What an amazing tour, Greg! Thanks so much for taking the time to educate us! I've never seen a pineapple plant before and, to be honest, had no idea you could plant the top of the pineapple. Seeing this was somehow special to me. Thanks again!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 04, 2008 05:12PM

Yeah, that was very uplifting!

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Re: Pineapple
Date: March 04, 2008 11:52PM

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.

You can always plant the crown of your pineapple in a good sized pot with nice rich soil. You can move it outside to full sun in the summer and then move it back indoors to a sunny window when it gets cold. You won't end up with much fruit, but they do make a pretty house plant.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: bostonhill ()
Date: March 05, 2008 04:48PM

Greg
That tour was fantastic!!! I've never seen that before and is sure makes me want to travel to somewhere warm right now! Thank you for the education, and I think I will respect the pineapple even more now!I have pineapple on my counter right now~ love it~
Sandy

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: March 05, 2008 05:47PM

Greg,

Thanks for that, I needed it.

Date: March 05, 2008 05:57PM

Posted by: MauiGreg (IP Logged)
Date: March 04, 2008 05:52PM

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.

You can always plant the crown of your pineapple in a good sized pot with nice rich soil. You can move it outside to full sun in the summer and then move it back indoors to a sunny window when it gets cold. You won't end up with much fruit, but they do make a pretty house plant.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg
[/quote

How do you plant the crown? Do you have to root it first? How deep? I really want to try this. How much watering?

Date: March 05, 2008 07:09PM

Aloha there simple,

It really doesn't take too much special handling. I've seen some people cut the top of the fruit off and then trim the excess from around the crown before planting it, but ours are just twisted off the plant. You just want to make sure that the soil is well drained and don't let it get totally dusty... but you can see that the soil in the first picture is pretty dry and they do ok with a few cycles of drip irrigation. Given individual attention they will thrive (like all living things right?). No need to pre-root, but it might make a cool experiment to see how that works. Our planting guys are extremely rough with all of the seed crowns because they plant thousands at a time. They use a planting knife to make a small hole in the dirt and then they just firm up the soil around the bottom of the crown. it's a fairly shallow planting. I think the plants are pretty sturdy and the good news is that if you fail, it just gives you another reason to eat another pineapple!

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

Date: March 16, 2008 05:05PM

I am fantasizing about pineapples today. Have to make it to the terminal market because I want jicama, too.

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: March 16, 2008 06:41PM

Thanks for the pics Greg, I'll be planting a pineapple tonight in my flat smiling smiley

Not that I expect to harvest much here in the UK, but in a bit of a planting frenzy at the moment, have two kinds of spinach, some garlic and flax growing too smiling smiley

Should make for a cool plant.

Cheers,
J

Date: March 16, 2008 07:18PM

i got mine. and mmmmmmm.....along with a whole slew of other fruits!

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: March 19, 2008 07:01PM

How bad are nonorganic pineapples for the body? My husband bought one while I was away and it's on the kitchen counter looking really good to me, but I have only been consuming 100% organic for a few years. I wonder if I'd get sick if I ate it?

Any opinions?

==
MauiGreg, that was a lot of fun to see/read what you shared about the pineapples! Thanks!

XOXO

Date: March 19, 2008 09:21PM

I usually rinse off the outside before cutting into it. I think in general, tropical fruits are the least sprayed.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables