Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

almonds
Posted by: Haida ()
Date: January 29, 2008 05:10PM

Does anyone know whats going on with the almonds in the USA? Have they been irradiating all almonds coming in to the states, even the "raw" almonds? Thats what I have heard. If this is true, do any of you still eat the so-called "raw" almonds?

Haida

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: almonds
Posted by: frances ()
Date: January 29, 2008 06:19PM

I haven't bought any of the pasteurized "raw". I don't really understand the new rules, but I'm pretty sure they don't have to pasteurize the almonds being imported from Europe. My co-op has recently restocked domestic unpasteurized almonds, and I think they are able to do it legally only because they have a local supplier. A lot of federal trade laws only become relevant when they cross state lines because their legitimacy is based on the federal government's right to govern interstate trade. Maybe that's it. The truly raw almonds are expensive though, so I think I'll continue to use other kinds of nuts for most purposes.

Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: January 30, 2008 09:30PM

how can you tell if you've got "real" raw almonds????

dc

Posted by: Nywyn ()
Date: January 30, 2008 10:13PM

I've heard that all almonds leaving California must be pastuerized and can still be labeled "raw."

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 30, 2008 10:22PM

Nuts Online has raw almonds.

Posted by: Haida ()
Date: January 30, 2008 11:16PM

I was not able to tell. It is not labeled differently; does not say "pasteurized" or "irradiated". I have heard that proper labeling is in the works. The whole thing is sad. I guess asking your grocer would be one way of knowing if it is really raw or not. I think I will be making hemp milk for a while.

Haida

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables