Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw nuts
Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: February 01, 2008 09:20PM

Hi

are pistachios raw if they are unsalted?
how can you tell you're getting real raw nuts?

thanks
dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw nuts
Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: February 02, 2008 12:11AM

If you pick it off the tree and the tree smells alive (as opposed to the plastic ones), then....you know.

Otherwise, it could be the Star Trek "replicator" version - but....this I know...

If your internal fire burns hot enough, you could eat ashes, ceramics, and pain and be as healthy as Black Beauty.

Love,
Paul

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 02, 2008 12:27AM

yeah mrdc has a good question

it is valid and some people have said

1) no nuts are raw nowadays
2) especially almonds
3) some are if u can get them to sprout
4) if u can get a certain nut to sprout, it still is not an indication that it is raw

so i can see your confusion

another thing to consider is rancidity
if it tastes bad ( like most brazil nuts that have gone rancid)
i would avoid them

its hard to tell nowadays

some are raw
but i'm not sure myself anymore which ones

some u can just tell right off the bat are rancid because they make your stomach hurt ( avoid those right away cuz they'll make u sick)

maybe just get them in the shell and shell them yourself??

okay so here is my question

how bout all the nuts in the SHELL? are they still raw?

it would be sad if those two were incinerated

what is going ON with this world?

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: February 02, 2008 03:44AM

EnlightenmentNow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you pick it off the tree and the tree smells
> alive (as opposed to the plastic ones),
> then....you know.
>
> Otherwise, it could be the Star Trek "replicator"
> version - but....this I know...
>
> If your internal fire burns hot enough, you could
> eat ashes, ceramics, and pain and be as healthy as
> Black Beauty.

Are you kidding me?!

La_veronique,

Very good points. I have a dificult time figuring out if the walnuts I buy in the shell and in bulk from my farmers market are raw or not.

mrdc,
Most packages will say if the nut is raw though I have had experience with some not specifying. I would never assume that a nut is raw just because it's unsalted.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 02, 2008 03:48AM

I saw some special "cold-cracked" cashews advertised on the interweb. Anyone know anything about that? (as cashews have to be heated to be procured...?)

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: February 02, 2008 10:23AM

la_veronique Wrote:
> 4) if u can get a certain nut to sprout, it still
> is not an indication that it is raw

But is an indication that it is still alive and all the enzymes are intact, so it if it sprouts it is good to eat.

phantom wrote:
> I saw some special "cold-cracked" cashews advertised on the interweb.
> Anyone know anything about that? (as cashews have to be heated to be procured...?)

Yes, they are opened without heat, by mechanical means rather than steaming

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: February 02, 2008 07:41PM

what is enlightenment nows issue???

not a very enlightened reply to a simple question.

thanks for the attitude. best of luck to you.

to the others that replied a very heartfelt
Thank you for your imput,
it is truely appreciated.
peace
dc

Posted by: purenkind ()
Date: February 02, 2008 07:44PM

I just bought raw almonds from Anderson Almonds, a farm in Cali.
For me the only way to be really sure is to buy nuts straight from the farm.

Posted by: LaPieta ()
Date: February 02, 2008 09:43PM

mrdc,
Very good question since they can be labelled raw when they are in fact pasteurized.

I'll be buying almonds online from farmers who indicate theirs are unpasteurized. I consider most other nuts (besides cashews) to be raw if they are labelled raw, but it would probably be best to check with the seller to be sure.

I second LaV's question - if they are in the shell does that mean they are raw? I suppose they could be steamed or processed in the shell.

Date: February 02, 2008 09:47PM

Just remembered something... the last time I bought walnuts at the farmer's market, the farmer told me to heat the walnuts in the stove to dry them out, otherwise they would mold.

So I heated them at a very low heat in my oven. This was before I was trying to go raw, but I still used a low heat and it worked fine - no mold.

I bet walnuts labelled raw in stores have been processed in some way to keep them from molding.

Date: February 03, 2008 02:12PM

i hope this link works

they sell raw nuts

they are raw foodists and try to find local farmers

<[rawfromthefarm.com];

the macadamias look good but are a bit pricey ... anyhow...i still think its great what they are doing

the pecans at 5.50 a pound is actually quite decent as far as price goes

these people had the same question as u and they went on a quest so i guess its pretty good source

good raw organic madacamians are to LIVE for..

love macadamias

they are my favorite nuts

Posted by: gonenuts ()
Date: February 03, 2008 03:17PM

Thanks for the note La Veronique, I have been trying to find Macadamias for the past week, My fave too.
Thks.

Re: confused re:raw nuts
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 03, 2008 07:30PM

Hello,

I am a newbie to raw foods-only 12 days...I am confused and need some advice from those in the know. So raw nuts are never ok just to eat without soaking? Do all nuts have to be soaked first? And how long is long enough? I have been reading and it says to release the digestive inhibitors the nuts need to be soaked-but no one says how long unless we're talking about sprouting?? Furthermore do they need to be sprouted to be eaten? Please help.

Date: February 04, 2008 01:03AM

LaV, your link didn't work for me, but I already had it bookmarked so here it is again, along with another site I found for raw organic nuts.

[rawfromthefarm.com]

[wholesale-almonds.com]

Date: February 04, 2008 03:30AM

if a nut sprouts it's certainly raw, cooked things are dead and don't sprout at all!

as for walnuts, the ones i picked up off the ground under their tree were fine for many months, never saw or smelled any mold what-so-ever so i don't buy that "have to heat them" thing.

and soaking, it's a good idea to soak/sprout nuts and seeds and grains if you eat them. soaking apparently washes off the enzyme inhibitors that cover the seed/nut/grain although i seem to recall one of the sciencey people here saying that that just wasn't an issue the way it's made out to be and i tend to agree with them on that point.
however, sprouting increases nutritional content and soaking by itself softens and adds water to seeds, nuts and grains making them more digestible.
while it's not neccessary to do so, eating them both ways and seeing how they agree with you is a good measure of which way you "should" be consuming them. some people are fine one way or the other but it's different all around.

i love what david mason says about there not being any raw food police. there aren't you know. it's a free for all!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2008 03:31AM by coco.

Date: February 05, 2008 03:07AM

Thanks for that info about the walnuts, Coco.

Sorry for reposting that raw from the farm link LaV, I guess everyone could see what the URL was whether the link worked or not, duh... brain was on vacation that day.

Posted by: selenes512 ()
Date: February 05, 2008 05:11AM

I always thought that the ones labeled'raw' were, you know, raw. But then I found some nuts that were REALLY raw. The were in the shells, and they were wetter and blander than any nuts I had ever had. So it became clear to me that all nuts you buy in stores are at least dired out, and most store-bought dried foods are heated to high temperatures. I dont eat them much now, they make me feel 'heavy', but when I do, I sprout them. Right now I have replaced my nut fix with fresh coconut flesh. Its probably too fatty for how much I've been eating, but it feels much better and fresher than any 'raw' nuts I've had.

Date: February 05, 2008 07:26AM

i've soaked 2 kinds of almonds, no sprouts yet.,
how long does it take?

Date: February 05, 2008 11:27AM

hi mrdc

thanks to Codex , almonds are no longer raw

unless u get them special or go get them off the tree yourself

there was a thread somewhere here on Codex...

maybe you could do a search

Date: February 05, 2008 02:56PM

I'm having similair problems knowing which nuts are raw. At the whole foods store raw nuts sell for 12-13 dollars a pound.
Costco has some nuts ( almonds) that I think are raw... a friend of mine said the label used to say "raw" but now doesn't.
Sure is hard to find good food at reasonable prices.

Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: February 20, 2008 05:50PM

In case someone didn't mention this....

Organic Pastures sells Truly Raw Organic Almonds. You have to actually call them.

Their receptionist is probably the sweetest woman on the face of this here planet.

Their site is:

[organicpastures.com]

Good luck.

Paul

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Posted by: stoner ()
Date: February 20, 2008 05:56PM

How do you sprout a nut?
or a seed?
When i have garlic or onion for two long it starts to grow this green stem thing, it that sprouting?
Can i still eat it when it does that?

.........living to tell a tale of a life it self........

Posted by: frances ()
Date: February 20, 2008 09:54PM

stoner-

Yes, that's sprouting, but sprouting seeds and nuts takes a little more effort. [sproutpeople.com] is a really good site to get started with. It's a store, but they have so much information posted you could spend hours reading and learning how to sprout.

When the garlic and onion begin to sprout you may find that part of the inside of the bulbs begin to go bad. I use them as long as they look okay inside. If they're beginning to spoil I compost the bad part and eat the good part, though you may not want to if you're particularly sensitive to mold.

Posted by: corizza ()
Date: February 20, 2008 10:05PM

Trader Joes is the best place to get raw nuts. All of their nuts are really raw and the almonds are pasteurized at 115 degrees. AND they are priced very well. I have a friend who emailed them to see if they were really raw and that is the response she got.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables