Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Weekend Fast, 1st time - input please winking smiley
Posted by: veganathlete ()
Date: February 01, 2008 11:32PM

Thursday of last week I started a Parasite Cleanse. I felt completely terrible on it, which I know it is a cleanse which is never so pleasant but something so did not feel right. Monday I realized that the cleanse had cayenne (I am allergic to) in it, so I stopped it immediately.

For a couple weeks before the cleanse I finally was digesting without problems - it was so nice smiling smiley Well ever since the cleanse I just feel so toxic and my digestive system is all messed up again. I just do not feel right at all. I feel like i need to do something to get rid of the toxins (especially all the cayenne).

I would love to go on a water fast till my body was ready to eat again, but I am not in the situation to do so. I am a collegiate athlete and quite busy. Now this weekend I actually have a break. I only have to sit in my room and study on Saturday. Sunday I will be going to church, studying, and watching the super bowl. Monday I have class all day and practice.

Today I have only eaten grapes, strawberries, and apples and stopped eating at 4PM. I was going to start a lemon water fast tonight and follow through till Sunday morning. Then I was going to drink carrot juice with spirulina on Sunday. And then Monday I was going to eat fruit all day and then reintroduce veggies, nuts, seeds on Tuesday. Then for at least a week and hopefully longer I was going to drink lemon water each night before I went to bed.

My reasoning behind this is that lemons are suppose to cleanse your liver. Then spirulina (makes me not constipated). Carrot juice is suppose to be good for the digestive system. And then veggies, nuts, and seeds all seem to be harder to digest so I did not want to break the fast with them. Also fruit is high in Carbs so I figure I should have enough energy for practice. And I actually have all of this on hand ;-)

I was kind of hoping for some input on whether or not this sounds like a good idea or not. Any suggestion would be highly appreciated. I really have no clue if I am going about this the right way - never have fasted before. I know it is just two days but just a little worried I guess. Sorry about the length

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weekend Fast, 1st time - input please winking smiley
Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: February 02, 2008 12:06AM

As guru dweller of this site, David Zane Mason, says, radical acceptance is the only way through.

Try this - let go of fighting "parasites". Welcome them. Love them. Accept them 100%....

...hell,....make it 115%. Why not.

Stop fighting. Give your sympathetic nervous system a break so you can actually pump blood to your stomach the way it is supposed to when you are at peace.

Love, love, love, and love. Eat, sex, peace and joy. Peaches, raw cream and slippery streams.

I have just posted some ferociously, delicately powerful audio on my site.
Listen at your own peril - you will be awakened, from my love.

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: February 02, 2008 03:54AM

much luck to you veganathlete, I just finished a ten day water fast and am now just drinking orange juice. Here are some web pages that are very informative.
drbenkim.com drbass.com (my first water fast) FalcomBlanco I found some information on fasting at these sites. Waterfasting, in my opinion is the best thing for our bodies.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 02, 2008 01:09PM

Hey VeganAthlete,

Sounds to me like you have really thought this through.

Sometimes when I can't fast due to work commitments, I mono eat fruit for a day or two. Just adding that as an option if you are in a situation where fasting is not appropriate.

Good luck to you -- and thanks for the reminder to read the ingredients on those commercial cleansing formulas!

Let us know how it goes.

Lee

Date: February 02, 2008 03:11PM

Thanks for the support everyone smiling smiley And Pam thanks for those sites - quite helpful. Lee if you had the choice of mono eating apples, honeydew and cantaloupe, grapes, or strawberries which one do u think would give the body the most rest?
So far it is going great but also it has also only been 18 hours including night time...lol...but I will let you all know how it goes smiling smiley Thanks again

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 02, 2008 07:25PM

Hmm, not being an expert, I can only tell you what would be easiest on my body. Melons just don't sit right with my stomach. I know some people think they are very gentle. But they just seem to go sour in my stomach -- except watermelon. I'd go for grapes or apples. Right now, I've been getting a lot of organic apples at Trader Joe's for a decent price (less expensive than Whole Foods).

I've successfully done mono days of apples, grapes, and oranges. The grapes are very expensive. (If money isn't a problem, then just ignore my comments in that regard and go for grapes if that appeals to you.) Grapes are generally sprayed a lot and they are something I try to avoid unless organic. I love grapes. But I don't love pesticide, fungicide, and insecticide.

Mono oranges are sometimes too acidic for some people. I love 'em.

I know this isn't a flat out "Do this" type response.

Last week, I was fighting off the flu. Everyone at work has so far, in the last month gotten it full on... except me. So, I did some modified mono eating: just oranges until noon, then bananas or apples until dinner time. Dinner at home was either a simple salad or more bananas or apples. I did that M-F this week and I feel like I'm on the other side of possibly getting sick.

I work with a bevy of very nice Diet Coke addicts. They see what I eat and are in awe. I'm not a purist. I'm not perfect. But I'm not in bed (at home, using up my sick leave) with the flu like everyone else was.

I hope this helps. I guess what I'm trying to say is that any of your choices would work if you choose what is easy on YOUR system.

Lee

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: February 03, 2008 07:42PM

Hows your fast going?

Date: February 05, 2008 06:13AM

Lee thanks for your input, it was quite helpful. Sadly none of my fruit is organic it is what they have at the college cafe...can't really afford anything else...but luckily my college does carry fresh fruit all day now smiling smiley

The fast went really good - tweaked it a little throughout, though. I did lemon water from Fri 4Pm to Sat 6PM. Carrot juice and lemon water Sat 6PM to Sun 1PM. And then I only ate grapes Sunday night and lemon water before going to bed. Then Monday I only ate apples. And I slept a whole lot which felt amazing.

I ended up cutting it short because I felt like my body was telling me it was enough and also I wanted to make sure I had enough energy when I went over to friends to watch super bowl. I do not feel toxic like I did. I really think my body needed this and I feel great. The only downfall was that I definitely did not have enough energy for practice...lol...after a fast you just tend not to have that big of an appetite so I did not eat that much. But I definitely have an appetite after that practice....lol....I ate five apples right after it and four more a few hours later.

I have learned my lesson to read labels very carefully...lol.

And I definitely think I may start doing one-day carrot juice fast more regularly as time allows (which probably want be till summer...lol). There great to give the body a good rest. I just feel so much better after this weekend smiling smiley

Thanks for the support you all smiling smiley

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 05, 2008 04:40PM

The above posts are all so great and supportive. I hope you feel that you are getting the support you need VeganAthlete. Some good advice.

-Although I have little experience, my opinion is that people can/should find their cleansing through long-term healthier eating for 6 months or so...before engaging in any sort of fasts or cleanses. The REAL work of developing a lifetime good eating and positive change modality is of paramount importance. Prior to reaching YOUR raw goals...all else is just a 'refinement'. Internal cleansing will come rather naturally through the healing of the healthier foods. Smaller refinements such as juice fasting, mono-eating, enemas & colonic irrigation can then be used to help facilitate long-term internal cleansing.

-It seems (and this may NOT be the case with you) that those in the very beginning stages......or those whose diets have tradionally been poor the longest....often want to do the MOST. They want the QUICKEST results. It is these very people that need to master the paradigm of: Intentional, SMALL goal setting. It is the FREQUENCY (how often) one achieves goals that YOU set....that determines how powerful and confident you are in life. Not the SIZE of those goals....or the quality of them (as long as they are meaningful and passionate to YOU). What do you think?

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: February 05, 2008 08:00PM

Oh the support is amazing on this forum....it helped me so much in becoming raw and finding information and so forth....this forum brings about new knowledge to me everyday - it is truly amazing ;-)

I would definitely have to agree David. Being passionate is a key I think. If somebody would of told me a year ago that I would be eating the way I do now, I would of laughed. No way could I have imagined myself never cooking anything especially for me who loves cooking and food. I have tried different diets and so forth but that is different than a life change. At first when I decided to go raw it was due to several health problems that I was having for years and I really wanted to find something to help. I really did not think I was going to stick with it - I never stuck with any diet but raw is not a diet it is a life chang and that is what I came to find out. I have only been 100% raw for five months and it is absolutely amazing on how much my body has healed. And I guess there is something inside me sometimes that wants to see what else i can do for my body. But really I just need to be patient and give my body the time (five months is not enough for a body to heal from 19 years of feeding it toxins). I love everything about being raw and researching it all - i just love it. And I am so excited because we have to do a research paper in English and it has to be on something we are passionate about so as long as my professor approves my topic, i am going to do it on raw veganism smiling smiley

And when one is passionate about something, other people start to see it. At first people would try to get me to eat other things and I think most of them thought this was going to be just another fling. Now people are amazed on how I have been able to stay raw which it is all driven by passion.
It was really cool the other day - I was talking to my mom and she was telling me about how all these different members of my family are trying to cut our processed foods and eat more fresh and just healthier all around. And I commented "Wow it seems as if everyone is on health kick all of sudden" And she was like "Well after we all saw the amazing transformation in your health over the past few months - it has made us start thinking about what we are doing to our bodies" So I am definitely excited about that...hopefully they will get the passion. They are setting small goals which is how I got this far smiling smiley

Sorry about the ramblin and thanks for the words David - it gave great insight smiling smiley

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: February 09, 2008 10:40PM

Vegan, your ramblin is gold man smiling smiley
I've enjoyed reading everything that you've said. I think its awsome that you found raw at just 19. I reckon your in for an amazing experience in taking a body as young as that and providing it with the potential that I believe raw food can achieve. I am 32 and have only been raw about 8 months myself, but from what I have experienced thus far as well as all the research that I have done and case studies I am aware of, I know that our bodies are capable of a strength and vitality that modern society only dreams about.

It truely inspires me to hear about this awareness catching on. I have listened to a series of 1 hour interviews that were conducted in what was coined the Raw Summits recently, of many different well known and extremely knowledgable people from around the world relating to health and nutrition. These range from raw gurus to alternative Drs through to every day people such as ourselves who have found and used raw food to achieve amazing results and then gone public with their experiences.

These can be found and heard online from [www.rawsummit.com] [www.rawsummit2.com] and the latest one which is still underway [www.healthiestyearofyourlife.com] I seriously can't recommend these highly enough for anyone who is interested in their health or the raw food diet. They are informative beyound belief. The sites are presented in a slightly hard sell manner which is a discredit to the treasure contained in the interviews. If you are not sure, I believe that you can sign up simply with your email and listen to them once before deciding wether its worth money to own a copy. You can unsubscribe your email at any time.

Anyway the whole point of this is that I now own them and have given them to my friends who are vaugely interested in their health because I know that they are just that powerfull that even those who are fence sitters or only mildly interested will be blown away by what they hear if they take the time to listen to one or two.

Pampam :
How did your 10 day water fast go, and how were you at the end of it ?
Did you concern yourself with elimination at all ?
I'm planing to partake in them myself and would like to hear about peoples experiences. I have only been eating fruit and veges with no fat for several months so I figure I shouldn't have too much of a problem with clearing out the toxins but would like to hear about what you and others did.

Date: February 13, 2008 04:01PM

Hey Lightform! I am going to have to check out those interviews. I have done so much research but it is so amazing how much information there is to learn. That is a great idea of loaning them to friends, I think I am going to have to do that eventually. I just cannot imagine the results in a few years - it seems as if every month my health is improving significantly. Like you were saying, i truly believe our bodies will eventually be thriving past what we can imagine smiling smiley Thanks again for those links

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: February 13, 2008 10:03PM

Your welcome smiling smiley
I have just completed about a 28 hour water fast. I don't know what others experience but the last hours were prety tough for me. By the end of the day I was getting weak from hunger and went to bed fairly exhusted, by the morning around 2 oclock it was so uncomfortable I was almost counting the minuites until I could eat and ended up getting up at 2:30 and making a green juice.

I experienced a strong fatigue which I wasn't expecting. I have an incredibly low fat ratio in my body so I'm wondering if that was why... otherwise I must assume its because I'm still fairly toxic. I was drinking plenty of water. Next time I think I will just do a day from night till night and eat before bed, as before this time I was still feeling ok. Anyone have and thoughts / experiences ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables